Dual pricing - Anti Rant

Daffy D

Most Thai people who work for a living pay taxes that financially support the government provided services, like maintainance of parks and other attractions

Most farangs living in Thailand that I know pay no taxes to support the Thai government at all.

Is it really discrimination to be expected to pay for the services you use?

Not only do I pay the VAT mentioned previously but I also pay a lot of import duty on imported items that I buy. I also pay (a little) alcohol duty. When I bought my condo I paid transfer tax.

And on top of that, every single Baht that I have ever spent in Thailand (with the exception of a small amount of bank interest) came from outside the country and so was a net addition to the Thai economy. Most Thais merely pay a small amount of tax on money that is just moving around within the Thai economy, rather than being added to it from outside.

Honestly, if we are talking about financial contributions to the Thai economy I have contributed more than any Thai in average employment ever will. In fair recompense I should not only get free access to parks but I should be driven there by the government in a limo, and given a hot towel and cool drink on arrival.

.hope you don't overestimate the impact your input made onto Thai economy.

I just passed a second hand backhoe yard on the Bang Na road, and realizede that on this yard alone there was a value parked in the open air and opposed to rain and sun, 50 times worth more than my own assets.

and when going on the Bang Na road, there were 5 more such places . . on ONE road alone (have you checked the roads north of Bangkok?)

I realized my impact on the Thai economy is a silent fart

Even the little house we built in the Moo Baan does make anyone fart

. .there are millions of them . . .

you over value and exxagerate your importance !

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no great problem with locals being charged less, more with the way it is administered. If a single entry fee was advertised along with a discount on production of a Thai ID card, I would have no argument. Unfortunately it all seems to be done in a rather underhand way. Mention has already been made of the Thai price being shown in Thai numerals (and where else do you see them?), but there is also a racial element, as I have visited attractions in the company of Filipinos who have been charged the lower rate. A touch of openness and consistency would not go amiss.

Most Thai people who work for a living pay taxes that financially support the government provided services, like maintainance of parks and other attractions

Most farangs living in Thailand that I know pay no taxes to support the Thai government at all.

Not only do I pay the VAT mentioned previously but I also pay a lot of import duty on imported items that I buy. I also pay (a little) alcohol duty. When I bought my condo I paid transfer tax.

And on top of that, every single Baht that I have ever spent in Thailand (with the exception of a small amount of bank interest) came from outside the country and so was a net addition to the Thai economy. Most Thais merely pay a small amount of tax on money that is just moving around within the Thai economy, rather than being added to it from outside.

Honestly, if we are talking about financial contributions to the Thai economy I have contributed more than any Thai in average employment ever will. In fair recompense I should not only get free access to parks but I should be driven there by the government in a limo, and given a hot towel and cool drink on arrival.

I just passed a second hand backhoe yard on the Bang Na road, and realizede that on this yard alone there was a value parked in the open air and opposed to rain and sun, 50 times worth more than my own assets.

and when going on the Bang Na road, there were 5 more such places . . on ONE road alone (have you checked the roads north of Bangkok?)

So..."farang" are poor and should pay Thai price?

If 200 baht, or $5 usd is going to break you...you should probably stay home and think about why you are so poor, and living in a foreign country!

Nobody has said 200 baht was going to break them. That's is not a rational standard to judge every expense.

People hate the policy because it's RACIST because your race determines the price you pay. It is especially indefensible now that showing a work permit or Thai driver's license doesn't work.

I don't have the right to be racist to people in California just because they're not from California. That is <deleted> crazy and so are you.

California. Lessee. As a senior citizen, I have a lifetime pass to get into your beautiful Yosemite National Park (and any other US national park) for free. You, because you are discriminated against due to age, will pay $25 per carload every time you visit. Or, you can buy an annual pass.

In Anaheim California where Disneyland is, the locals can get a cheap annual pass to Disneyland. That's Disney's way of saying "thank you" for the infrastructure that surrounds the park. The locals pay the taxes that build the roads and other necessities that even make Disneyland possible. There's your dual pricing in your California.

I could give you a lot more examples of dual pricing in the US. I hope your mind isn't made up to reject the notion that the Thais own these Thai parks, can charge whatever they choose, and you can choose whether to go.

Cheers.

You mention the locals getting a cheap annual pass. If that were in Thailand all the locals would get the pass except the locals who arnt Thai.

You may want to rethink that argument.

It is just casual racism. If I charged a black person 10 times as much for an ice cream as a white person people would call me all sorts of things.

If you saw a farang beggar on the street would you give him a thousand baht rather than 20 'cause he will need more to buy his food etc etc ?

I've never been charged more for an ice cream. I don't believe this for a minute.

Strangely enough I have never sold an ice cream.

In that case why does the Thai government consider it's worth taking the trouble to charge us more?

I am just one of many and, in case you are unaware, tourism accounts for a large part of Thai forex earnings.

As farangs we're all visitors, regardless of which type of visa you hold, so when you visit anywhere you should, as in very many countries, pay the standard visitor price, and let the indigenous people pay a discounted price. As previously pointed out, if you have a Thai drivers licence you will get some partial discount, something you would not get when you visit other countries. So my fellow visitors, stop pretending you are elite because you incorrectly deem your self as a long or short term "permanent resident", or just because you may consider yourself better at speaking the local language than others who visit this country. If you don't like visiting Thailand, then realise that you are free to move on and visit elsewhere, or return to your country of origin. If you are still deluded about your nationality or nationalities then take a look at your passport/s. In the meantime enjoy your visit.

Utter ballcocks.........go to the UK so many different skin colours and nationalities there they wouldnt know where you were from, here its done as u r white

This topic is clearly biased and written in a way to sound reasonable and fair. In reality this is not how dual pricing works here, it is mostly a bunch of Thai people seeing all farang as rich and as such they try and charge you as much as possible to line their pockets

one of many examples: in the food court next to my office building it is all Thai stalls. When i buy lunch it nearly always costs me more then my fellow Thai workers,, i once ordered exactly the same food immediately after one of my colleagues, he got charged 50 baht, i got charged 80 baht.. i asked her why is mine 30 baht more for the same,, she said "oh i serve you top quality pork", basically she spouted a load of BS.

So basically the dual pricing is wrong, it should be 1 price for everybody and thats it,.

I remember going to MBK with my wife; who needed( wanted) a new handbag. She went shopping at all the small shops, while I went for a coffee.

When she decided which one she wanted and had bargined for the best price, she called me to pay.

After paying and while we were leaving the store owner asked( In Thai Language) her why she had bargined down the price if the Farang was

going to pay. Adding the Thai people need to stand together. The shop owner was really angry !

I guess I'm weak, I've resigned myself to having to pay more for many things because I'm a farange. It disgusts me but it disgusts my wife even more. Apart from my beer, motorcycle and petrol she insists on buying all else for me, with my money of course, at thai prices.(except for when we visit somewhere like a park.)

I know many farangs are here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of Thailand and the lower cost of living in Thailannd...but please, be reasonable!

seriously, some farangs have really earned the nick name " Cheap Charlie"!

You really need to think before youpost. Very few thais pay tax . In my village only teachers and government workers pay tax. None of the street vendors or rice farmers etc pay tax . When i had an internet cafe in my wifes name tax was 600baht a year .

Tax in thailand is raised on goods which is why some thing are so expensive. The more money you spend in thailand the more tax you pay which is why a flight to uk cost 100% more from bkk to london than london to bkk and why a tin of beans is 70 baht in thai and 10 baht in uk. Tax on beer is very high and as i dink a lot of it and probably spend at least three times more than most people in my village i pay more tax to support the thai government than most thais.

As farangs we're all visitors, regardless of which type of visa you hold, so when you visit anywhere you should, as in very many countries, pay the standard visitor price, and let the indigenous people pay a discounted price. As previously pointed out, if you have a Thai drivers licence you will get some partial discount, something you would not get when you visit other countries. So my fellow visitors, stop pretending you are elite because you incorrectly deem your self as a long or short term "permanent resident", or just because you may consider yourself better at speaking the local language than others who visit this country. If you don't like visiting Thailand, then realise that you are free to move on and visit elsewhere, or return to your country of origin. If you are still deluded about your nationality or nationalities then take a look at your passport/s. In the meantime enjoy your visit.

Utter ballcocks.........go to the UK so many different skin colours and nationalities there they wouldnt know where you were from, here its done as u r white

Ummmm…excuse me.

Chinese, Arabs, Africans, Hispanics, even people from other ASEAN countries are also charged the non-Thai national price.

On day to day items? Hopefully we can agree that is wrong.

Other than the nanny states (where the price is always clearly marked and everyone pays the same price, by God), there are always 2 prices for everyday items.

There's the price for people who know how to negotiate and the price for people who don't. Has very little to do with anything but negotiating skills, which most of us from the nanny states are sadly lacking because the government protects us from ever having to learn. Of course the locals know we generally stink at negotiating, and very few of us prove them wrong.

After being raised in the west, we get our clocks cleaned until we adapt to the market customs of the rest of the world where the price isn't marked at all, and negotiating is part of every transaction (and relationship building). Turns some people off completely and that's sad because it can be a favorable experience and at the very least- an education about the people we've chosen to live among. I used to hate it myself until one day the switch flipped and I started enjoying it, if only for the sport.

Whenever I go to the market, there is a a price per kilo sign or clothes clearly marked, don't know where you go but I always pay that price.

Not a helluvalot of unmarked items where I live in Chiang Rai unless it's tourist trinkets.

You actually pay the marked price? What a rube. They saw you coming from a mile away.

(Apologies for taking liberties to make my point- I always pay the marked price, too. My Chinese GF? If it's not in 7/11 or the malls, she always asks for a price cut. Embarrasses me, but in spite of not speaking a word of Thai, she often gets a discount. It's her culture.)

Edited by impulse

There are plenty of arguments and discussions for and against Dual Pricing, either in restaurants, markets etc or National Parks....

Ultimately - all arguments are correct - anything can be justified when we think about it deeply enough...

However, do we really believe any business who practices dual pricing has really thought about it beyond simple 'opportunism' ?

Where the practice of dual pricing is applied, rightly or wrongly, agreeably or not, there will always been some who are offended by it and some who are happy with paying less.

Ultimately it is a system accepted by those it doesn't effect or those too lazy to avoid it or disagree with it. It is argued against by those it may financially impact. Of course there are those who find anyway to support and justify anything which happens here and those who seem to fight or complain about almost anything even remotely objectionable.

For the most part I'm in the 'just suck it up as a part of living here' group, which means for the most part while I do my best to avoid Dual Pricing and sometimes stand on principle if the practice is carried out in a way which is directly insulting, but, I don't let it effect my every day life....

It is what it is... I don't like to make a big deal of it, but I don't think the practice of Dual Pricing should be defended either...

Dual Pricing clearly isn't right... but IMO there bigger issues to be concerned with - Most balanced minds would agree but as is often the case on a web-forum the discussions often slip out of balance and become exaggerated in text.

Mr Richard - Smith 237, well said, also my sentiments. Kennw

To say 'a few baht more' is deliberately talking down the matter.

Try saying 5x the price.......

How about foreigners being charged 5x the price for a flight to Thailand.......

How about a beer bar advertising beer 60b for foreigner, 240 baht for Thai?

How about Honda charging Thais 5 million for a truck, but 1 million for Japanese?

DELETED

As for pricing,

In Thailand Thais are allowed to earn money, and I'm not.

So they should pay more than me, cos I can't top up my earnings whenever I feel like it.

Am I correct in assuming you are retired, with a UK government pension? If so, please explain why you should pay less than a Thai who gets zero pension.

Get a grip - most Thais are probably earning less in a week than you spend in a day. Topping up their earnings when they feel like it? They wish.

This topic is clearly biased and written in a way to sound reasonable and fair. In reality this is not how dual pricing works here, it is mostly a bunch of Thai people seeing all farang as rich and as such they try and charge you as much as possible to line their pockets

one of many examples: in the food court next to my office building it is all Thai stalls. When i buy lunch it nearly always costs me more then my fellow Thai workers,, i once ordered exactly the same food immediately after one of my colleagues, he got charged 50 baht, i got charged 80 baht.. i asked her why is mine 30 baht more for the same,, she said "oh i serve you top quality pork", basically she spouted a load of BS.

So basically the dual pricing is wrong, it should be 1 price for everybody and thats it,.

So you can't walk to another food court to get your lunch at the Thai price?

Personally, I don't care. I sometimes pay the falang price. If I feel it's an excessive ripoff, I walk away.

In that case why does the Thai government consider it's worth taking the trouble to charge us more?

I am just one of many and, in case you are unaware, tourism accounts for a large part of Thai forex earnings.

Tourism in Thailand creates around 4% - 6% of the gross domestic product. You are, like others, overestimating the impact of foreigners to the Thai economy.

Thailands economy thrieves from the bonds with China, nearly 60% of the GDP are created in the trade between the two

Tourism in Thailand creates around 4% - 6% of the gross domestic product. You are, like others, overestimating the impact of foreigners to the Thai economy.

Thailands economy thrieves from the bonds with China, nearly 60% of the GDP are created in the trade between the two

Actually tourism (direct and indirect) accounts for 16-18% of Thai GDP. And it accounts for a large part of forex earnings as I mentioned, much of which is not included in the official calculations (people buying houses and condos, and supporting wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/families). Without tourism Thailand would be in a bad way.

And, as I have repeatedly pointed out, you just cant underestimate the positive effects of incoming forex generated from tourism. Economically speaking nothing can beat it.

The Western world does not have huge discrepancies between visitors with tons of money and locals with little in the same way 3rd world countries do.

Most 3rd world nations have dual pricing for foreigners.

A visitor to Egypt pays 14 times what a local pays for any historic site.

Also, how can you call it racist when Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans all pay foreigner price.

I didn't come across dual pricing in China, only discounts for students and the elderly. The Safari Park in Guangzhou charges 250 yuan for adults, it would have been 750 yuan, over 4K baht, for myself and 2 Thais to enter, we took the choice of not going.

Most of the public sites were free or a small entrance fee for everyone around 10/20 yuan.

Far to difficult to generalise, so little point trying.

I know many farangs are here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of Thailand and the lower cost of living in Thailannd...but please, be reasonable!

seriously, some farangs have really earned the nick name " Cheap Charlie"!

Somchai is paying taxes on his 300 baht a day salary, I pay on every baht I spend. I spend 3000 baht and more each day, service charge, vat, etc... I bet I pay more Thai taxes than the average Somchai.

Most Expats come from countries where discrimination and unfair practices are are not tolerated, so when

they see an unfair discriminatory practice they do not like it. In my business my customers are all charged

the same price for the same service, I personally believe that is the way it should be.

I do not see how just because Farangs(white foreigners) are perceived to be richer and some Expats live

a better life than they would in their home country makes this OK. They are not related to each other.

I have spoken to a number of Thais about this, and only one of them thought this practice is acceptable,

and she thought it was only OK for public places paid by Thai tax payers to do this not private businesses.

I am also surprised that so many people are fine with being discriminated against, most civilized countries

fought hard to end discrimination. I never go to places where I have to pay more than someone else based

on their skin. For those in favour of this policy go to the back of the bus and drink water from your separate

fountain.

There are many unfair things in the world and Thailand, The massive disparity in the division of wealth, Good

education only for rich people, Hospitals price gouging. A justice system that only punishes the poor.

I hate all of them, and nobody will convince me that I should like and accept any unfairness.

Most Expats come from countries where discrimination and unfair practices are are not tolerated,

Most expats come from places with very different definitions of discrimination and unfair practices.

And many are appalled that THEIR definition isn't embraced universally.

I'm not a visitor here, I'm not a guest here. I'm a person who has chosen to make a home and a life here. I contribute to the community and economy in all sorts of ways. Where I live people know me, are nice to me and never overcharge me. In fact my local noodle shop don't charge for the ice and tea that I see other local customers paying for. I save 2 baht by this which means nothing more than it makes me feel valued.

It is NEVER about the "couple of quid", it could be 1 baht or 1m baht, I'd feel the same. It is ALWAYS about right and wrong. If you feel you're a guest here, fine but I don't. I feel like I live here and with that I feel like I should be seen as just another person, not special, just a person.

I don't know why so many posters here don't get it.

I'm not a visitor here, I'm not a guest here. I'm a person who has chosen to make a home and a life here. I contribute to the community and economy in all sorts of ways. Where I live people know me, are nice to me and never overcharge me. In fact my local noodle shop don't charge for the ice and tea that I see other local customers paying for. I save 2 baht by this which means nothing more than it makes me feel valued.

It is NEVER about the "couple of quid", it could be 1 baht or 1m baht, I'd feel the same. It is ALWAYS about right and wrong. If you feel you're a guest here, fine but I don't. I feel like I live here and with that I feel like I should be seen as just another person, not special, just a person.

I don't know why so many posters here don't get it.

Well done! you have hit the nail on the head. And while we are on the topic of, right or wrong, extend it to why so many of the road laws are ignored.