How tough is your Truck?

phutoie2

This happened to an elderly neighbour of mine (ex-pat) Monday afternoon. Driving down the frontage road in town and some bojo drove out of a Soi, side swiped him onto the curbstone and toppled into the storm drain.

Fortunately no injuries to himself or wife, just a bit shaken. No medical treatment required but kept at the scene for over 4 hours with insurance assessors and Police. The truck was later taken away to the Police compound, unsure why as the Toyota dealership is just minutes away from there.

I have no details of the other vehicle as I have not had chance to speak to my neighbor yet but his wife informed my Mrs that the seat belts worked OK.

post-44176-0-78477100-1448425112_thumb.j

Judging by the angle of that back axle, is wasn't a small tap either.

His wife put a few pics on FB with more detail, looks like some damage to rear axle and drive shaft. Apparently it took some time to extract them from inside as the doors wouldn't open. The emergency services, those EMS guys I think in pickup trucks were very good local garage boys got the truck out of the drain.

Guess that's why they call it a Champ.

Lots of jokes flying around here now among the ex-pat crowd., an Isuzu would have been squashed etc---

It was taken to the police compound as opposed to the Toyota dealer as it obviously would have severe damage to most, if not all, the body, in addition to the mechanical damage and would more than likely be written off by the insurance company. No point in going to a dealer.

It was taken to the police compound as opposed to the Toyota dealer as it obviously would have severe damage to most, if not all, the body, in addition to the mechanical damage and would more than likely be written off by the insurance company. No point in going to a dealer.

That will be repaired.

Good to hear they escaped with no serious injuries.

Apparently it took some time to extract them from inside as the doors wouldn't open.

Shows how dangerous these unprotected central reservation are. Looks almost impossible to open a side door stuck upside down in a "V" shaped drain.

I

Apparently it took some time to extract them from inside as the doors wouldn't open.

Shows how dangerous these unprotected central reservation are. Looks almost impossible to open a side door stuck upside down in a "V" shaped drain.

I

and very fortunate the drain wasn't flooded with storm water...

Saw a truck couple of weeks ago that looked like was in a similar crash except for the axle, it was the other way up driving coming out of an Isuzu dealer and jam packed with new wings roof panels doors windows etc etc saves describing what you want just take to the dealerwink.png

I

Not only that, but getting out through the windows seems impossible. really scary!!

Vehicle safety is about how the passengers are protected and the ability of the vehicle to absorb shock....."tough" is a very misleading concept.

Mirriam Webster say tough means "strong or firm in texture but flexible and not brittle"

Tough is not a bad description of the design objectives for modern vehicles. I.E. flexible in the right places to absorb impact but strong enough to protect occupants.

All trucks work better when they are sitting on their wheels. I don't know of any that work when they are on their roof. They should be glad that the truck is diesel powered and not benzine. With benzine leaking out, it would have been VERY scary and could have been absolutely fatal and horrible. Just another reason to buy diesels.

John and his wife Gan are both ok, in fact I got the story from him today at the weekly farang get together to drink beer and talk in native tongues. They were driving on the main highway through town, when the other truck shot out of a soi. It smacked John's truck towards the rear. John's truck started to spin, a wheel clipped the concrete strip, and it flipped into the storm drain. They were eventually taken out via a back door, after hanging upside down for a while.

The accident happened outside the police station. When the insurance chap came, police made it clear to him who was at fault.

John had to cough up 3,500 baht to have his truck taken to the main dealer in Phetchabun city, which the insurance man says he'll get back.

The idiot driver got a 1,000 baht on the spot fine for driving without due care and attention, and allowed to drive off. Don't know whether or not the fine was recorded and receipted!

The crash test results for the Hilux and Dmax are not dramatically different so performance in an accident should be comparable.

Not a lot of difference in weight either. Compared to the Toyota, the equivalent Isuzu models are actually a little heavier for the basic models but lighter for the upmarket models.

The difference is small and will be down to more than the thickness of the steel.

BTW - thwere are several exaples concerning road safety in Thailand in that photo....can you see them?

I see we have two people taking the bait. I expect Seedy now has his work cut out for him, and that's the end of this thread being friendly sad.png

I expect Seedy now has his work cut out for him

I'll say - had to google what Tufty and Reginald Whatsis is ...

Might be extra work for a short while, but not a long while.

Vacation time if posters do not follow Forum Rules.

And there shall be Peace in the Valley ...

My truck is Ford Tough...

Last year during sugar season, I had the somewhat surreal experience of rounding a corner to be confronted with a massively overloaded sugar truck in the process of falling over on my side of the road. After the inevitable collision and destruction of the front of my truck, my license plate number became the chosen lucky lottery number in the village craze...lucky because I didn't die!

Go figure!

Archived