Thai Premier League: Satun banned for three years

webfact

THAI PREMIER LEAGUE
Satun banned for three years

The Nation

30273713-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Satun United have been handed a three-year suspension and a hefty fine for crowd violence that marred their 1-0 home defeat against Khon Kaen United in thirdtier Division Two's promotion playoff round Champions League at the weekend.

Satun supporters, incensed by the refereeing decisions after two of the home team' players received marching orders, invaded the pitch after the final whistle and attacked the referee and his two assistants.

During the melee, one of the two assistant referees, surrounded by the angry crowd, spoke through the megaphone that he was hired to officiate the game in favour of the visiting Khon Kaen side. He, however, retracted his words at a news conference in Bangkok, claiming he did to defuse the tense situation.

The Football Association of Thailand yesterday heavily sanctioned Satun, suspending them from taking part in any Thai FAsanctioned competition for three years starting next year besides a fine of Bt315,000. The club has until Saturday to appeal the decision.

Meanwhile, Khon Kaen United president Watthana Changlao was far from happy after his club was being viewed as "cheaters".

The Satun match further lent weight to the view of many fans that Khon Kaen were often the beneficiaries of refereeing decisions. That prompted Watthana to launch a staunch defence of his club.

"I want to make it clear that we're definitely not cheaters as we are being accused. I've grown tired of hearing people saying that we cheated or we received favourable decisions from the referee.

"I want all the parties to sit down and talk. I'm ready to prove that we have not gained any benefit from the refereeing decision. Whether they want us to swear or whatever, we're ready to do that.

"We play the game fairly and we've built our team based on those spirit. I don't want people to see us in a negative light. We're okay if a draw [for a referee] would be made before each game. I would like to reiterate that Khon Kaen United have nothing to do with officiating of the match referee," said Watthana.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Satun-banned-for-three-years-30273713.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-26

Wouldn't, I'm sure, be the first time that officials have shown 'favouritism' to a particular team, obviously for some form of favour in return so this accusation doesn't surprise me.

I retired here from a football environment in England and Holland.

I have been to a lot of matches in the last 2 years and three things are very evident.

1- that in general, the people who run the clubs couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

2- that some of the refereeing decisions are so bad it is not possible they were mistakes, as an example a penalty awarded to Port FC against Chonburi recently and a Port player allowed to elbow a Chonburi player in the face right in front of the ref who did nothing. That can only mean one thing. Favouritism is the polite word. Bribery might be more accurate.

3- the level of dishonesty is staggering. Nakhon Ratchasima FC allowing 34,000 into a stadium that holds 22,000 to make money and set a dubious attendance record, and then the GM justifying it. He should be banned from football for life for doing that, how is he still there? Has he never read of the deaths at football stadiums as a result of overcrowding?

I'd like to see the public insurance liability insurance. ( if they have one)

So I sympathise with Satun without condoning the violence.

But then we shouldn't be surprised.

This country is a 4th rate footballing nation ( being generous) but with world class corruption and bribery everywhere.

The fans riot and the team get a ban? Aren't the wrong people being punished here? As for biased refereeing, aren't the officials judged by an assessor in the stands, as happens in the EPL for example? If not, then of course there is going to be corruption in a country where such is regarded as normal and expected.

As for biased refereeing, aren't the officials judged by an assessor in the stands, as happens in the EPL for example 555555555555555

I suggest you go and watch a few TPL matches.

At Chonburi's game with Chainat a year ago the officiating referee had been 'guest of honour' at Buriram (Chonburi's nearest rivals) during the previous week. It was obvious the referee's remit was Chonburi simply can't win and the decisions he made were farcical throughout the game. He crowned it off in the second half by, with the aid of his linesman, disallowing a Chonburi goal, even though the player was at least three yards onside. Then if it was possible he bettered even that by blowing his whistle for full time some SEVENTEEN MINUTES EARLY.

As a result both the referee and linesman were charged and banned from football for two years...............But the result stood and, needless to say, Buriram won the league.