Free SIM cards at the airport, without ID. How is this possible ?

cyrilmadrid

Qatar must have registered them to itself. Presumably the theory is they will be used for a couple of weeks and then chucked.

And the ones on the immigration official's desk?

Is it possible they are pay as You Go Tourist Cards which will have a limited lifespan and hence not require registration??

Seems to bypass the reason for obligating registration somewhat!

They could possibly be old 2G service which ends on Dec 21st and would require registration by 16th Dec to upgrade.

There is no lifespan on pay as you go. I have a freebie I got 9 years ago but it had to be registered. Now that it has been registered I can see the usage details online, that wasn't available before.

I was thinking along the lines of them being 'switched off' if no registration is forthcoming within 30 days of use... but that would still bypass the reason for registration (security). I only just registered for 3G after having my old 2G for 10 years..... my new phone can handle 4G but I wonder if I will have to go get a new SIM card again!

Qatar must have registered them to itself. Presumably the theory is they will be used for a couple of weeks and then chucked.

And the ones on the immigration official's desk?

Is it possible they are pay as You Go Tourist Cards which will have a limited lifespan and hence not require registration??

Seems to bypass the reason for obligating registration somewhat!

They could possibly be old 2G service which ends on Dec 21st and would require registration by 16th Dec to upgrade.

There is no lifespan on pay as you go. I have a freebie I got 9 years ago but it had to be registered. Now that it has been registered I can see the usage details online, that wasn't available before.

I was thinking along the lines of them being 'switched off' if no registration is forthcoming within 30 days of use... but that would still bypass the reason for registration (security). I only just registered for 3G after having my old 2G for 10 years..... my new phone can handle 4G but I wonder if I will have to go get a new SIM card again!

I would doubt it but not sure, I am fairly certain I didn't get a new SIM card going from 2G to 3G. I was under the impression it was down to the package you use. I have the cheapest pay as you go voice package available from AIS. Some time ago AIS just changed the package I was on, that may have been the move to 3G. I don't have data,if I want internet I just buy it as I need it.

A couple of years ago my phone fell out of my pocket on the bus and I just went along to the AIS shop and they gave me another SIM card with the same number and the current balance, all I lost was the numbers. That wasn't a big deal, I have always had 2 phones, a Thai pay as you go and a UK pay as you go. I just took the numbers from the UK phone onto the new Thai phone.

The biggest problem these days with SIM cards is the physical size. The battery on my UK phone was shot and not keeping charge so when I was back in the UK I bought a second hand smartphone. This phone needed a micro SIM and the guy showed me how to cut the SIM down. Fortunately I also had my Thai phone with me so I cut both SIM cards. Once cut you can push the parts back together and put back in the larger SIM slot. I now have another micro SIM available if required.

Dialling a phone number with my free, undregistered True Move SIM card, I got the following recorded message:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwNib_gx9zYENWJHQTN0TEpLMkk

"Please register your SIM card by bringing bringing the passport along with you your SIM at any True shop. We apologise for the inconvenience."

I have a stack of True SIM's that are handed out inside the luggage belt area. You need to take them to the True desk, show your passport and put money on them as they only have 20 baht credit but it still saves you 250 baht since you don't have to purchase the SIM.

Kurt

A regular 4G True sim is 54 Baht. A Dtac sim is 50 baht and has 50 Baht credit on it.