Thailand adopts 911 as emergency number

webfact

Thailand adopts 911 as emergency number

911.jpeg
Everyone in Thailand can now dial 911 for emergencies, 24 hours a day. Photo: Yahoo! Accessibility Lab

PHUKET: -- Thailand has officially adopted 911 as its emergency hotline number, confirmed Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

The decision to implement the emergency number was due to tourists' familiarity with the 911 hotline number already, prompting several other countries to implement its use as well.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Thailand-adopts-911-emergency-number/62454?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-26

Hilarity aside laugh.png I did once try this number when a burglar had entered my house in the early hours of the morning. I'd expected no response, but a car and two bikes showed up. However, some years later, when a streetlight had caught fire and was endangering the soi, they hung up. So. Bit pot luck.

I was once taken on a tour of a police station by a very proud police officer. He opened a Dior to show me the communication room. No one was in the room and the phone was ringing. I asked if he wanted to answer it? He told me he could not as he was busy showing me around.

I was once taken on a tour of a police station by a very proud police officer. He opened a Dior to show me the communication room. No one was in the room and the phone was ringing. I asked if he wanted to answer it? He told me he could not as he was busy showing me around.

Was it TeerakDior on 711

she gives little stamps when you get enough you can wina doormat that goes dingdong

It seemed strange to me that this would be confirmed a provincial governor, and not by a national spokesperson (given its importance to the public).

So, I did a web search, and found that Pattaya Daily News reported the story back in July (http://pattayadailynews.com/911-emergency-thailand/).

Then, I clicked on the Full Story link to the Phuket Gazette, and it all became clear!

“The Cabinet approved the use of the number months ago,” said Governor Chamroen. “For some reason, the public relations campaign never really took off. Therefore, I felt the need to make the announcement that everyone can now dial 911 for emergencies, 24 hours a day.”

Looks as if Governor Chamroen has a bit more civic nouse than the cabinet when it comes to alerting the Thai people about getting help in an emergency.

It seemed strange to me that this would be confirmed a provincial governor, and not by a national spokesperson (given its importance to the public).

So, I did a web search, and found that Pattaya Daily News reported the story back in July (http://pattayadailynews.com/911-emergency-thailand/).

Then, I clicked on the Full Story link to the Phuket Gazette, and it all became clear!

“The Cabinet approved the use of the number months ago,” said Governor Chamroen. “For some reason, the public relations campaign never really took off. Therefore, I felt the need to make the announcement that everyone can now dial 911 for emergencies, 24 hours a day.”

Looks as if Governor Chamroen has a bit more civic nouse than the cabinet when it comes to alerting the Thai people about getting help in an emergency.

I think the government PR department was busy promoting the more important things, like the bike for mom event.

Surprised they did not adopt the China numbers 119, 110 and 120 obviously a unified 911 is much better so let's all say... THANKS USA tongue.png

Sounds like someone is butt hurt about how close China and Thailand are.

Edited by Howitzer

So it has already officially adopted this important emergency number? Nothing like full-on blanket advertising to let everyone know. This is the first I've ever heard of it.

You can still call 191, you know, the original one that we all know even without "full-on blanket advertising".

"Help I'm being chased by a crazed Taxi driver on YaBa with a machete, a Sweaty ladyboy tried to pick my pocket, and I just saw a Chinese tourist drop trou and take a dump in the gutter in front of Starbucks!"

"Arai Na?"

Click

Yes, and were you wearing suggestive clothing when these crimes occurred? If so you were asking for it!