Hi-So biking

h90

I am not negative....I am just surprised and a bit amused. I am a loner and I can't understand that group idea, but of course everyone the way they like....

And funny everyone has the helmet...I don't even own one.

As for the helmet you'll probably wish you owned one should you ever fall or get knocked off your bike and smash your head into the road.
Actually, the issue of whether helmets are beneficial is far from being as simple as that. There's quite a debate about it. For example - http://www.ctc.org.uk/campaigning/views-and-briefings/cycle-helmets
The main thrust of that article seems to be aimed at the health benefits of cycling which may be lost by fewer people taking up the pursuit by being forced by law to wear a helmet.

I am not for compulsory wearing, but still strongly recommend it, so long as the rider has adequate insurance. Everyone should be free to take their own risks as long as those risks impact only themselves and do not place a burden on society should the worst happen.

My main tests as to whether helmets are of use or not is by looking at what professional riders are wearing and this simple test. Put on a cycling helmet, headbutt a kerb stone hard as you can. Repeat without the helmet.

I think it complete depends....bicycle in Bangkok...absolute yes....but better would be to go with a tank instead of a bike.

Here: mostly flat (so no 100 km/h down the mountain), mostly on the backstreet with 2 cars passing farmer Somchai driving 50 on the straight street: No real reason....the same for the motorbike helmet (which seems to be an unknown product here).

Insurance: I have non, no medical, no old age, no fire, no nothing.....But I guess I am in the 30 Baht system as I work with workpermit

At least you have some insurance but will the 30 bht scheme give the care you need if you suffer some brain injury falling off your bike or will you be relying on your family for that care?

Hilly or flat makes no difference, you can always knock your head and the poor state of the road furniture here can increase the chance of a bad hit.

yes but with all the thousands of km I rode on the bike, I never fell. I had just 2 almost accidents.

But I did fall down the stairs 3 times.....So with your logic I should wear the helmet at home, but not when riding the bike?

Not at all. I'd suggest you take more care on the stairs which is entirely up to you how you go up and down. Riding a bike is subject to external conditions you may have no control over.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt a bit Lady Godiva cycling in this morning bare-headed.

I still haven't identified any disadvantages of wearing a helmet. Except, maybe, as I mentioned in another thread, it's hard to pick up chicks in the beer bars with a sweaty helmet

SC

I never had a hat, I feel hot, sweaty, enclosed with an helmet.

After my ride, I doubt any chick would go with me and I am so worn that the only thing she could do would be feeding me.....

Sitting here and waiting that the rain stops and I smell myself sick.gif And it is only 1 week for the trouser and shirt......

I think lo-so looking biker with strong smell and only 500 Baht in the pocket rank somewhere close to the soi dog.

I need a hat to stop the sweat running down my face ...... so a helmet covers the sweaty hat nicely.

Not to mention I've hit the road 3x this year.

1 m/c strike from behind, I somersaulted back over the m/c knocking him off.

1 MTB crash in the rain, 35Km/hr round a bend in the rain was too fast.

1 Road bike crash on a wet patch of road, 50Km/hr on a wet corner was too fast.

And gloves......... my hands would have been shredded without armored gloves.

And skin cancer, my forehead gets skin cancer, gotta be covered, might as well be covered with a helmet.

Full Lycra suits now too, saves me a lot of skin when I slide along the road.

I need a hat to stop the sweat running down my face ...... so a helmet covers the sweaty hat nicely.

And skin cancer, my forehead gets skin cancer, gotta be covered, might as well be covered with a helmet.

I had (15-20 years ago) glasses, everything adjustable and over the eyes (and between) a kind of foam that makes both the sit perfect but also let the sweat run to the side only....Was perfect I loved them.

Sorry for your crashes.....all 3 crashes sound bad.....My family doesn't get cancer (no one ever anything, but we all get brain issues crazy.gif) and I really love the sun...would bike naked if possible.

But your crashes are something to think about....crash 2 and 3 wouldn't happen to me (no MTB, no 50 km/h) but crash 1 can happen to everyone and it might be the truck and not the the MC....

I am not negative....I am just surprised and a bit amused. I am a loner and I can't understand that group idea, but of course everyone the way they like....

And funny everyone has the helmet...I don't even own one.

As for the helmet you'll probably wish you owned one should you ever fall or get knocked off your bike and smash your head into the road.
Actually, the issue of whether helmets are beneficial is far from being as simple as that. There's quite a debate about it. For example - http://www.ctc.org.uk/campaigning/views-and-briefings/cycle-helmets
The main thrust of that article seems to be aimed at the health benefits of cycling which may be lost by fewer people taking up the pursuit by being forced by law to wear a helmet.

I am not for compulsory wearing, but still strongly recommend it, so long as the rider has adequate insurance. Everyone should be free to take their own risks as long as those risks impact only themselves and do not place a burden on society should the worst happen.

My main tests as to whether helmets are of use or not is by looking at what professional riders are wearing and this simple test. Put on a cycling helmet, headbutt a kerb stone hard as you can. Repeat without the helmet.

I think it complete depends....bicycle in Bangkok...absolute yes....but better would be to go with a tank instead of a bike.

Here: mostly flat (so no 100 km/h down the mountain), mostly on the backstreet with 2 cars passing farmer Somchai driving 50 on the straight street: No real reason....the same for the motorbike helmet (which seems to be an unknown product here).

Insurance: I have non, no medical, no old age, no fire, no nothing.....But I guess I am in the 30 Baht system as I work with workpermit

At least you have some insurance but will the 30 bht scheme give the care you need if you suffer some brain injury falling off your bike or will you be relying on your family for that care?

Hilly or flat makes no difference, you can always knock your head and the poor state of the road furniture here can increase the chance of a bad hit.

yes but with all the thousands of km I rode on the bike, I never fell. I had just 2 almost accidents.

But I did fall down the stairs 3 times.....So with your logic I should wear the helmet at home, but not when riding the bike?

Not at all. I'd suggest you take more care on the stairs which is entirely up to you how you go up and down. Riding a bike is subject to external conditions you may have no control over.

That's why I live in a single story house... Safety 1st :)

Sounds like you need a full kevlar suit whistling.gif

And airbags....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And airbags....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or better ridding a second hand T-72 tank tongue.png.

Day before yesterday a pickup complete overloaded (3 meter??) with bags of compressed plastic bags started in front of me (I just went to the 7/11). Accelerated slow --> I tried to hang in the wind shadow, but I was total worn out, street was slightly up, I was too far away to stick to it....gave up at 43 km/h. 10 seconds later one bag went off, landed 10 meter in front of me and maybe 1.5 to the side. If I would have been a bit BETTER I would have got it in the face at maybe 48 km/h.

Bad luck happens.....But at 44 I am much more coward than I was with 20.....

Point of it: even when you are super aware of any possible problem, you can still die tomorrow or survive with helmet......

I thought we did helmets already!

Even VF sports a dashing one now.

In the interests of keeping it lighthearted this time around, here's a quote lifted from Velominati:

David Millar made a good point on a recent episode of the BBCs Bespoke when asked for his top tips about looking good on the bike. Never wear your helmet off the bike. Dont wear it into the mid or post ride cafe and definitely dont sip your coffee whilst wearing it. Take it off and attach it to the bike through the frame and back wheel to slow down anyone trying to wander off with your bike.The helmet is a tool, dont spend time looking like one

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting post, having only just opened this topic. So many different view point just on biking. Safe to say a lot are passionate about biking, but feel it's 'there way or the highway'

When it comes to doing anything that involves getting out and about the Thais in general have to flaunt it!.......... 'It's Show Time' Having said this, there are a lot of strong Thai riders out there who ride just for the love of riding.

Driving on the 107 at a certain time of day can in some areas resemble the warm up area for the 'milk Race', (nobody actually riding hard..... Just milling up and down.....But looking so professional)

I ride off-road and all the years, 9 now and have seen no more than a hand full of Thais riding XC where I ride, I understand it's starting, (slowly) to happen, downhill is doing well and gaining momentum, a lot of young Thais are into downhill.

Bottom line..... Each to his/her own, Thais and westerners come from different background..... So lets just get out there!

When it comes to doing anything that involves getting out and about the Thais in general have to flaunt it!.......... 'It's Show Time' Having said this, there are a lot of strong Thai riders out there who ride just for the love of riding.

NO, you are wrong,

There are many very WEAK Thai cyclists.

I cycle from the Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep 2-4 times a week.

Plenty of Thais on the hill, riding up slowly, I've only get overtaken once a week now (by Thais) .......... and I'm 60.

Don't get me wrong,

They are nice guys, always waving and saying hello as I pass.

Flat tire last week, four of them insisted on stopping and repairing it.

Then another stopped and used his NEW CO2 pump to inflate it.

They had all the gear.

I would have just walked down, or waved down a songtaw.

My only tools are hex keys and a screwdriver.

Not everyone on a bike is trying to race you.

Very few are capable of racing me.

But I usually manage to find one or two competitors on every trip up.

I'm guessing you've never done it?

I'm thinking you wouldn't be up to the trip ....... at any speed.

That's OK, plenty of room for the fat and lazy in the world.

I'm hoping MESmith, h90 and a few others will appear to kick my bum on the way up.

I need some incentive to speed up ......... today I went up, no particular hurry, 49 minutes (Zoo entrance to temple steps).

I'm just stuck at at the 50 minute mark.

A few 'Vegans' and '30 Bananas' at 35 minutes .... too fast and young for me.

But I'm gaining on the Vegans.

I'm actually in this '30 bananas' video

Well, it's easy to compare, no need for a race.

my legs can do 235W for 60 minutes.

What do your legs produce?

How do you measure that, I know my rowing trainer measures how many W I do but how do you measure that on a "non exercise" bike. Just curious here.

Dream on, old man.

How do you measure that, I know my rowing trainer measures how many W I do but how do you measure that on a "non exercise" bike. Just curious here.
He uses a website that he's been told is an inaccurate way of measuring power, plus it only gives you the average over time, so he has no idea what his peak 5s, 1min, 5min, 20 min power actually is.

Also doesn't take into account environmental conditions, especially wind direction, which can have a significant impact on your power output. The only way to accurately measure power, is with a crank, hub or chainring based power meter fitted to your bike.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Dream on, old man.

I lift 88Kg (my weight 77Kg + bike weight 9Kg + water/phone/tools/wallet 2Kg) up a height of 760m (CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep) in 48 minutes .......... with an estimated 10% loss due to road drag, wind resistance and gearing.

Power (W) = weight (N) x height (m) / Time (s)

P = 1.1 x 88 x 9.81 x 760 / 48 x 60 = 250W

You could also put a power meter on your bicycle crank, but they're a bit expensive.

Or use a bike calculator as Moonoi suggests. http://bikecalculator.com/

@Moonoi,

Not bothered about my peak output, just what I can average in an hour or so.

Happy to use a different figure to 10% loss if you thought it important.

Dream on, old man.

He uses a website that he's been told is an inaccurate way of measuring power, plus it only gives you the average over time, so he has no idea what his peak 5s, 1min, 5min, 20 min power actually is.

Also doesn't take into account environmental conditions, especially wind direction, which can have a significant impact on your power output. The only way to accurately measure power, is with a crank, hub or chainring based power meter fitted to your bike.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Ok so its an estimate, still nice to know a bit of what he did. You need to measure stuff to know how you compare and if you improve. Personally I only compete with myself and find competition only fun if the people your competing with started out similar to you so you can see who has put more into it.

I used to compete with my training buddy as we were both equally (strong / weak) when we started. That was fun while it lasted (years ago) but finding someone of equal strength and then competing with him / her in your given sport is hard. But some competition can bring the best out in you.

I used to compete with my training buddy as we were both equally (strong / weak) when we started. That was fun while it lasted (years ago) but finding someone of equal strength and then competing with him / her in your given sport is hard. But some competition can bring the best out in you.

I agree,

Great thing about the Doi Suthep hill climb, there is a hundred going up every morning (up to 500 on weekends) at dawn.

So no need for a buddy the same strength, you just race to get past the next one in front, while not letting the one behind overtake.

I agree,

Great thing about the Doi Suthep hill climb, there is a hundred going up every morning (up to 500 on weekends) at dawn.

So no need for a buddy the same strength, you just race to get past the next one in front, while not letting the one behind overtake.

True.. but a real race with someone who is in a similar category as you might be fun too. I do mainly weight lifting but got a rowing machine too. I recently started using it more and it has options for me to connect with real people all over the world and do a r/t race (still have to try that one. Other options are just putting in computer rowers who have a set time (less fun).

Anyway I can see the appeal of some competition as when I did the weightlifting with my buddy when we were young we were constantly trying to best each-other. This made sure we both preformed better as we would have and it also helped so we would not skip out on sessions because we went as a team.

Anyway your way sounds good too.. at least it gives you some extra fun while doing your biking. Competing with only yourself can get a bit boring at times.

I don't refute your esteemed estimate MaeJo, but is this cycling or walking? unsure.png

It's all okay, but I'm confused 'cos this is your quote:

"I went through all this with my Trek road bike, came with 11/28 ...... too hard for the steeper parts of Doi Suthep.

Changed it to 11/32 ....... still too hard.

I get off and walk the steeper bits now.

That's much easier."

I don't refute your esteemed estimate MaeJo, but is this cycling or walking? unsure.png

It's all okay, but I'm confused 'cos this is your quote:

"I went through all this with my Trek road bike, came with 11/28 ...... too hard for the steeper parts of Doi Suthep.

Changed it to 11/32 ....... still too hard.

I get off and walk the steeper bits now.

That's much easier."

That's an old quote ...... from when I just purchased my first road bike, 6 months back.

I'm a lot stronger now, after cycling up 3x a week, and running up 3x a week for the last 6 months.

Only been cycling 18 months (MTB) and 6 months (road bike hill climbing).

3 years back I was a fat drunk (90Kg age 57) who couldn't walk 1 Km without feeling faint.

Currently,

I can hike/walk/run up the trail (3.4Km) in 45 minutes, or cycle up the road (10.4Km) in 48 minutes.

The power calculations work out nearly the same, hiking or cycling.

Now above Wat Doi Suthep until San Goo at the top of the mountain, that's seriously steep.

Almost everyone gets off and walks up parts of that, it's a 10% grade in some places.

Wat Doi Suthep to Phuping Palace is a killer climb ..... I'll get there eventually.

I go all the way over the mountain on the MTB sometimes, at a much slower pace.

Past Phuping, Past San Goo, through Ban Chang Kian, down the dirt road to Huay Tung Tao lake.

That's a 5 hour trip, around 60Km on and off road.

Here it is

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=3224334

I'm only good at 235W for the first hour, the top is more than 2hours from the bottom (24Km).

Cheers MaeJo thanks for clearing that up. Beers on me at the top next timethumbsup.gif I'm only a year or so junior so hope for me yet!

I always used to catch a lift up [just for DH] but now I enjoy climbing Suthep as well, and also up to Doi Pui if you duck the barrier....

Have done Inthanon a couple of times, but definitely not non stop.........

Cheers MaeJo thanks for clearing that up. Beers on me at the top next timethumbsup.gif I'm only a year or so junior so hope for me yet!

I always used to catch a lift up [just for DH] but now I enjoy climbing Suthep as well, and also up to Doi Pui if you duck the barrier....

Have done Inthanon a couple of times, but definitely not non stop.........

Yeah, me too, Songtaw to San Goo is much safer.

The downhill is a killer if you're too tired after cycling up.

Especially if you go down Gee House trail (leg and arm shields).

Now a good trip, down the Eagle track to near HTT, then cut across the Army trail to the Sala Cafe in Mae Rim.

Currently,

I can hike/walk/run up the trail (3.4Km) in 45 minutes, or cycle up the road (10.4Km) in 48 minutes.

The power calculations work out nearly the same, hiking or cycling.

Now above Wat Doi Suthep until San Goo at the top of the mountain, that's seriously steep.

Almost everyone gets off and walks up parts of that, it's a 10% grade in some places.

Wat Doi Suthep to Phuping Palace is a killer climb ..... I'll get there eventually.

I go all the way over the mountain on the MTB sometimes, at a much slower pace.

Past Phuping, Past San Goo, through Ban Chang Kian, down the dirt road to Huay Tung Tao lake.

That's a 5 hour trip, around 60Km on and off road.

Here it is

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=3224334

I'm only good at 235W for the first hour, the top is more than 2hours from the bottom (24Km).

Hi MaeJo,

I did that many times from 2005 to last year;

living far from Chiang Mai in Sakon Nakhon province - it's 720 km from my house to Chiang Mai airport -

I like to come to Chiang Mai and other provinces in the north;one or twice a year.

When in Chiang Mai last year with a french friend of mine we were living during a few days at Holiday Garden hotel, not far from Maya complex ;

I'm always cycling with my Wheeler Pro 10 which is a MTBike;

nearly every morning I liked to climb to Doi Suthep; sometimes, twice in the morning; yes I'm a little bit bababobo cheesy.gif

My best time is 35 minutes from the zoo to the steps at the entrance of Doi Suthep ;11 km in 35 minutes, average about 20 km an hour...Not very fast..but I'm 67 old ; 6'5" and 90 kg .

The ride is very easy except the last 500 meters .

All on 32 x 20 and 32 x 26 for the last 500 meters.

After, going to Phuphin Palace is more difficult but not so much..

and after..when there is only a narrow pist with sometimes sand and dust...I love it so much even my tyres aren't good for.

I hope I can come again next year ( it's to morrow !) to do the Doi Inthanon race ;

I did it once, three years ago ;

47 km from Chom Thong in 4h and 28 minutes.

The best cyclists with road bikes do 2 hours less than me !!!

About the beginning of the post;

even our friend H90 was surprised; it's often like that with thai people;

some cylists and a pickup behind them for food, drinks and medics;

and it's also better to be behind because some other cars can look at this pickup and don't do an accident with cyclists.

With Phangkhon team a few years ago; many cyclists and a pickup

23962182665_9cffd2103a_c.jpg

Hope I can have a meeting with you and your cyclists friends next year smile.png

I'm hoping MESmith, h90 and a few others will appear to kick my bum on the way up.

I need some incentive to speed up ......... today I went up, no particular hurry, 49 minutes (Zoo entrance to temple steps).

I follow Durianrider (30 bananas a day) on Strava...quite a character! Has some interesting views on life, but he can certainly climb a hill when he wants to!

I follow Durianrider (30 bananas a day) on Strava...quite a character! Has some interesting views on life, but he can certainly climb a hill when he wants to!

What's up with all those "vegans" on strava? I don't feel a need to tell everyone that we had a lamb roast for dinner, or chicken steak coffee1.gif

50 minutes is a decent time to the temple. Are you talking total time, including rest at the viewpoint, or "moving time". Need to join strava, so you can make direct comparison with other riders.

The only way to improve your time is to ride in a group of fast riders, pulling you up. Is it that important? Not for me. Prefer to ride up to Doi Pui, myself, rather than just the temple.

50 minutes is a decent time to the temple. Are you talking total time, including rest at the viewpoint, or "moving time". Need to join strava, so you can make direct comparison with other riders.

Currently,

49 minutes start to finish.

or

47 minutes if I exclude my water break at the observation point and only count cycling time.

Hoping to cut that down to 45 minutes in the next 2 months.

Currently,

49 minutes start to finish.

or

47 minutes if I exclude my water break at the observation point and only count cycling time.

Hoping to cut that down to 45 minutes in the next 2 months.

That is the spirit, always need to set some goals and challenge yourself else it gets boring. Though at some point you need to change the kind of challenge you set. You can't get better all the time, in my sport I have reached my limits so i set other goals.

Archived