1 years extension with expiring passport

When you have applied for your 1 year extension with an expiring passport, you only get so many months that you have left in your passport. Then you have to apply again when you get your new passport. My question is. If you had 6 months left in your passport, immigration gave you 6 months extension. When you apply again with your new pasport, do you get 1 year? or do you get those 6 months left from the other extension? or what else?

If you have only 6month they will (should) not give you the extension.

You must :

* First ask for a new passport at your embassy

* Then transfer the old visa to your new passport at changwatana (your embassy will give you a certificate about the passport renewal), they have forms for the visa transfer, it will take you like 2-5 hours.

* Finally you can ask for the visa extension on your new passport, you can ask the transfer and extension at the same time.

I would not play that game, to extend a visa on an expiring passport.

If you think it won't be a problem, do it, if you want to play it safe, follow my advise, i just did it 2 weeks ago.

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa

2. Documents Required

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

• Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months. If you require a one year visa, the validity of your passport must not be less than 18 months. (Damaged, invalid or altered passports will not be accepted).

If you think it won't be a problem, do it, if you want to play it safe, follow my advise, i just did it 2 weeks ago.

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa

2. Documents Required

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

• Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months. If you require a one year visa, the validity of your passport must not be less than 18 months. (Damaged, invalid or altered passports will not be accepted).

The link you have posted is about applying for a visa - not an extension.

As mentioned, when applying for an extension there is no requirement for the passport to have any minimum validity left, but the extension will only be granted to the expiration date of the passport. There is absolutely no risk in applying for an extension with less than a year (or even six months) left on your passport, whether it's worth the cost of the extension is a personal decision.

Sophon

• Like 1

2. Documents Required

Those are requirements to apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate. Not an extension of stay you apply for at an immigration office.

Then tell your friend not to leave thailand and try to re-enter with a re-entry permit when the passport validity will be below 6 months.

Because first the flight company might not accept you at all if your validity is < 6 months, 2nd the immigration officer might get you in trouble aswell.

I'm telling you play it safe, get a new passport, transfer your visa, it's going to waste you a day but better safe than sorry.

2. Documents Required

Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months. If you require a one year visa, the validity of your passport must not be less than 18 months. (Damaged, invalid or altered passports will not be accepted).

The link you provide has nothing to do with securing an extension of stay from Thai immigration.!

It does ,however, have a paragraph concerning extensions of stay .............

"5. Extension of stay

Those qualified persons can obtain an additional one year stay permit counting from the date of entry in the Kingdom pertaining to the Office of the Immigration Bureau's regulations on extension of stay. The extension of stay is at the discretion of the Immigration officer."

Please note nothing is said about requirements for an extension and that statement also is in error !

Edited by expatbrit

Please note that if you want to play fool with an expired passport you can.

Your visa will still be valid on an expired passport, however you must have your new passport together when you get in / out, so basically if you dont wana waste 1h at the airport because you're gona carry 2 passport, one expired with a valid visa, and a new passport with nothing on it, with the officer starting to question you :

Get the hell your visa transfered on your new passport, it's common sense, especially when you're in a country with immigration laws changing every 15 minutes.

What's the poing of having a new passport and not transferring the visa on, trying to save half a day at changwatana and hope that everything is going to be fine, really.

Edited by Pepper9187

Please note that if you want to play fool with an expired passport you can.

Your visa will still be valid on an expired passport, however you must have your new passport together when you get in / out, so basically if you dont wana waste 1h at the airport because you're gona carry 2 passport, one expired with a valid visa, and a new passport with nothing on it, with the officer starting to question you :

Get the hell your visa transfered on your new passport, it's common sense, especially when you're in a country with immigration laws changing every 15 minutes.

What's the poing of having a new passport and not transferring the visa on, trying to save half a day at changwatana and hope that everything is going to be fine, really.

Immigration cannot transfer visas. If you have a valid visa from an embassy or consulate you have to use both passports until it expires.

Immigration only transfers extensions of stay and entry/permit to stay stamps. They will also do an annotation of the visa that was last used for entry to the country.

Then tell your friend not to leave thailand and try to re-enter with a re-entry permit when the passport validity will be below 6 months.

Because first the flight company might not accept you at all if your validity is < 6 months, 2nd the immigration officer might get you in trouble aswell.

I'm telling you play it safe, get a new passport, transfer your visa, it's going to waste you a day but better safe than sorry.

For people from most countries there is no requirement that their passport has to have 6 months validity left when entering Thailand, the passport just have to be valid for their intended stay.

Sophon

Well sorry to always sound like a contradictory bad ass but as i said i just transferred my visa on my new passeport in changwatana 2 weeks ago.

They have forms at the reception (very similar to extension of stay forms), in order to transfer you need :

1) Your new and old passport

2) A certificate from your ambassy (which they always give you when you renew a passport, it just states that MR xxx had the passport 123124 renewd by passport 45545)

3) A copy of your new and old passport front page

4) A copy of your old passport visa page + Arrival card

It takes a couple of hours, same queue as for visa extension.

You can find infor here but for somehow it's not opening on my computer : http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=service#

Section : Other service > Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport

+ They will stamp your old visa page with a stamp in thai "Visa transferred to passport xxxx" and stamp your new passport with "visa transferred from passport xxxx".

Edited by Pepper9187

Well sorry to always sound like a contradictory bad ass but as i said i just transferred my visa on my new passeport in changwatana 2 weeks ago.

They have forms at the reception (very similar to extension of stay forms), in order to transfer you need :

1) Your new and old passport

2) A certificate from your ambassy (which they always give you when you renew a passport, it just states that MR xxx had the passport 123124 renewd by passport 45545)

3) A copy of your new and old passport front page

4) A copy of your old passport visa page + Arrival card

It takes a couple of hours, same queue as for visa extension.

You can find infor here but for somehow it's not opening on my computer : http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=service#

Section : Other service > Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport

Which "visa" did you have transferred?

Are you required to make 90 day reports to immigration ?

You have to have IE to open it. I opened it with IE tab on Chorme. Note it only says an extension can be transferred.

Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport Relevant laws and regulations 1979 immigration act Required documents
  • Expired or full passport
  • New passport
  • Request by Embassy to the Immigration Bureau to transfer the visa to the new passport
Procedure
  • In case of foreign national without application for extension of stay or residence in the Kingdom:
    • Contact sub-section 2, Immigration Division 1, Immigration Bureau to write the request and fill in the relevant information, including name, surname, passport number, date of arrival, and flight number.
    • Check the details and the correctness of the information and the completeness of the new passport or other travel document.
    • Check the evidence of arrival in the Kingdom by computer or with the arrival card (TM. 6) to make sure the applicant has entered the Kingdom legally.
    • If there is evidence of legal entry to the Kingdom, the visa will be transferred to the new passport.
  • In case of foreign national with application for extension of stay or residence in the Kingdom:

You have to have IE to open it. I opened it with IE tab on Chorme. Note it only says an extension can be transferred.

Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport Relevant laws and regulations 1979 immigration act Required documents
  • Expired or full passport
  • New passport
  • Request by Embassy to the Immigration Bureau to transfer the visa to the new passport
Procedure
  • In case of foreign national without application for extension of stay or residence in the Kingdom:
    • Contact sub-section 2, Immigration Division 1, Immigration Bureau to write the request and fill in the relevant information, including name, surname, passport number, date of arrival, and flight number.
    • Check the details and the correctness of the information and the completeness of the new passport or other travel document.
    • Check the evidence of arrival in the Kingdom by computer or with the arrival card (TM. 6) to make sure the applicant has entered the Kingdom legally.
    • If there is evidence of legal entry to the Kingdom, the visa will be transferred to the new passport.
  • In case of foreign national with application for extension of stay or residence in the Kingdom:

Just as a matter of interest/information .

Are you aware of Immigration ever transferring a valid visa into a new passport

The only visa that immigration can move is one issued by them. That could be the non immigrant visa they issue based upon qualifying for an extension of stay or the PE visa for the Thai elite scheme.

The certainly cannot move one issued by an embassy or consulate. Also an embassy or consulate will not move them.

• Like 1

If you have only 6month they will (should) not give you the extension.

You must :

* First ask for a new passport at your embassy

* Then transfer the old visa to your new passport at changwatana (your embassy will give you a certificate about the passport renewal), they have forms for the visa transfer, it will take you like 2-5 hours.

* Finally you can ask for the visa extension on your new passport, you can ask the transfer and extension at the same time.

"If you have only 6month they will (should) not give you the extension."

No. You can still get an extension, but only up to the date the passport expires. When you get the new passport, the extension stamps will be transferred to the new passport and when that extension is about to expire you can apply for a new 12 month extension.

"you can ask for the visa extension on your new passport, "

There is no visa extension. You would be applying for an extension of your permission to stay. Visas are never extended or renewed.

Here we go, they transfer any type of visa, tourist, non O, whathever :

http://donslifeinthailand.com/files/Transfer_Visa_To_New_Passport_ChiangMai.pdf

They do not transfer visas. As the heading of the form states: "TRANSFER STAMP TO NEW PASSPORT"

They will transfer a long term extension of stay stamp and make a notation about the (expired) visa you used originally when you first entered as well as any still valid re-entry permit you may have. If you are here on an annual extension, you no longer have a valid visa. If you want to travel out of the country and return, you need a re-entry permit because your visa has expired and your extension of stay cannot be used for border crossings.

Anyone here on a tourist visa entry would use both the old and new passport. They would not transfer anything at immigrations. At a border they would stamp you out on the new passport, but they would need to see the visa and visa entry in your old passport.

You're confusing extensions and visas and you're confusing immigrations with embassies and getting angry with others who know what they're talking about. It might be more sensible to get a new passport before applying for an extension of stay, but you can still do it even if you have only six months left on your current passport.

Visas are not transferred, to a new passport. Extension STAMPS are transferred along with a notation about your expired visa.

Edited by Suradit69