Thailand's healthcare system considered a 'model worth following'

webfact

Universal healthcare system considered a 'model worth following'
VISARUT SANKHAM
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND'S universal health coverage scheme looks set to become a model for other developing nations to follow, it has been revealed.

The revelation came during a meeting between the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and Public Health Ministry yesterday.

The minutes of the discussion, signed by both parties yesterday, focused on the technical cooperation for the Project on the Partnership for Global Health and Universal Health Coverage (UHC).

"We will work on further details. Information on this part should be available by the coming January," said Prateep Dhanakijcharoen, acting secretary-general of Thailand's National Health Security Office (NHSO).

It manages the universal health coverage scheme, which covers 48 million people.

There were three main objectives from yesterday's meeting: boost the capabilities of Thai medical workers in relation to the implementation of the UHC scheme, empower the medical workers of other Asian developing nations for the same purpose and share information about the scheme.

The collaboration between Thailand and Japan also aims to improve the academic cooperation for the UHC project and use it as a model for UHC schemes in other developing countries.

Toda Takao, director-general of JICA's Human Development Depart-ment, said that Thailand's UHC scheme was known worldwide.

But he said that Thailand needed to improve its implementation and sustainability of the scheme.

He said that Japan could pass on its experiences in managing its social health insurance and health system through medical fees and the central and local governments' financial management of health insurance.

Takao said Thailand faced problems like increasing healthcare costs and issues related to different service coverage and purchasing mechanisms covered by different health schemes, as well as the impact of the ageing population on the health system.

He added that Thailand should give more help to other countries, especially those in the region, to promote their efforts to introduce UHC in partnership with Japan.

Public Health deputy permanent secretary Somsak Akksilp hopes the JICA partnership, and previous projects like the one related to the long-term care of frail, elderly and other vulnerable people, would led to a positive impact on communities in Thailand and neighbouring countries.

He said that the current project also involved the NHSO and other related health agencies.

It will result in Thailand having a sustainable UHC and will promote global health cooperation, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Universal-healthcare-system-considered-a-model-wor-30273799.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-27

God, I hope not. The conditions in some of these government hospitals is atrocious. My wife's mother, who was dying of cancer, was placed in a communal wards that was not all that clean, it was noisy and it smelled. My wife was certain the doctors were using some of the patients to try out experimental techniques or medicines on. There was a young 17 year old girl who came in with a fairly straight forward illness and ended up dying shortly after arriving. It was very disturbing.

If other developing countries emulate the system, but do it with more doctors per patient or at least doctors who really care for their patiences and communicate with the patient 100 times better and cleaner facilities showing much more respect for the patients.....then maybe it is a system to copy.

Like everything, different hospitals in Thailand have different conditions. The one I speak of was one of many hospitals in Thailand.

I can only speak good about government hospitals in Thailand.

After my serious accident 4/10/2013 i was treated at Khonkaen hospital ( 7 months)

I received the best of treatment best of care..I go every 3 weeks to Banphai hospital for catheter change and intensive physio.

Nothing but praise for staff at both hospitals.

Many farangs just like to moan about everything in Thailand without first knowing the true facts.

Japan needs to attend to our own issues with our social healthcare schemes before suggesting we start "passing on our advice." As someone currently in a labor dispute with my employer over matched contributions to the social healthcare and pension systems, I would appreciate the Japanese government paying more attention to making sure employers are in compliance without employees having to jump through hoops to get a problem noticed before they start offering services to "advise" other countries.

I have experienced nothing but good care at the government hospitals. There are occasions I prefer to go to a private hospital and spend the money. But, after being quoted 36,000 by a private dental clinic, to replace a bridge, get a root canal, and more, to fix a broken tooth that I was told was dead, I went to the local hospital, was told the tooth was fine, and was out of there in less than an hour, with a fixed tooth, which feels great, and a 650 baht bill. If you want top care, go to the private hospitals. But in my opinion, the government hospitals do a great job, and are super reasonable.

I can only speak good about government hospitals in Thailand.

After my serious accident 4/10/2013 i was treated at Khonkaen hospital ( 7 months)

I received the best of treatment best of care..I go every 3 weeks to Banphai hospital for catheter change and intensive physio.

Nothing but praise for staff at both hospitals.

Many farangs just like to moan about everything in Thailand without first knowing the true facts.

There is a much better chance that one will find adequate health care in larger cities. Unfortunately, in rural hospitals just hope that your ailment is one that a staff member has some proficiency treating. A few years ago I experienced a bone fracture near my elbow in the transverse (humerus) area. The physician applied a cast, but did not wrap enough padding in order to absorb the moisture/sweat from my skin. The cast absorbed the moisture and in two days started to disintegrate. I returned and suggested applying more padding. She said that was not the problem. She told me...And I Quote...: "Farang arms are different that Thai", and I would have to go to a hospital in the closest city to get a special type of plaster for my arm. It appeared that she was more concerned with saving face than providing proper treatment. Fortunately there was another doctor who came on duty. He tripled the padding and I had no problem with my cast after it was applied properly. Unless one is familiar with a physician and his/her abilities, it appears to be pretty much a crap shoot going to a hospital. I have friends who have go to different doctors for second and third opinions while presenting the same symptoms. Each doctor offered different diagnoses and treatments. This also occurs in the west, but the diagnoses were so different from each other and treatment appeared to be based on the particular doctors' specialty.

This is not moaning about everything. It was a specific incident. I have had mostly good experiences with medical physicians and dentists in Thailand due to good recommendations. However, there appears to be too many under qualified people who are allowed to practice without a strong set of enforceable professional standards.

Edited by jaltsc

I wouldn't trust any government hospital with more than a cold or a straight broken arm.

Having said that: I guess, going to private hospitals for my 8 years here, I got more pills prescribed than in my 40 or so years back home!

Unfortunately, I think the system is completely rigged!

Anybody had experience of Police General Hospital in Bangkok?
I would like to fine somewhere I do not have to pay too much to buy insulin, and either replace my Tramadol or maybe get a cortisone shot to deal with arthritis.
I would also like to see coverage extended to resident foreigners as I understand it once was. Not as a freebie, but somewhere between the "30 baht scheme" and the generally usurious rates of insurance companies.

Edited by bil2054

Why does every hospital insist on having you weighed and your blood pressure taken everytime. Last time I went due to a skin alergy that had given me red spots on my chest. It turned out to be an allergy to a washing powder product. Why weigh me and check my blood pressure? Another question is why do government hospitals have ugly nurses and private hospitals beautiful ones?

The health system is great in one area in my experience dentistry. The cheapest and best dentists are in Thailand. I got all my teeth lazer whitened for 10,000 baht. It would be 3 times that back in my home country. :)

The headline is very misleading, and--no surprise I guess--in an extremely favourable way to Thailand. The article merely says that the collaboration between Japan and Thailand "for the UHC project" (whatever that means) is seen by those involved themselves as something to use as a model for other developing nations. It's good that those involved have such a high opinion of their work and of the Thai UHC system that they're involved with, but it's not what the headline implies, a third-party or general assessment of Thailand's UHC. And nowhere is the phrase "a model worth following" used, excepting the headline.

Even the one Japanese participant in the project who's quoted says that Thailand has a way to go in implementing their UHC system, and makes further criticisms.

Poor-quality misleading "reporting" by TN and TV is reposting it as if it's news rather than propaganda. I wonder if anyone actually read the article.

Why does every hospital insist on having you weighed and your blood pressure taken everytime. Last time I went due to a skin alergy that had given me red spots on my chest. It turned out to be an allergy to a washing powder product. Why weigh me and check my blood pressure? Another question is why do government hospitals have ugly nurses and private hospitals beautiful ones?

The health system is great in one area in my experience dentistry. The cheapest and best dentists are in Thailand. I got all my teeth lazer whitened for 10,000 baht. It would be 3 times that back in my home country. smile.png

"Why does every hospital insist on having you weighed and your blood pressure taken everytime ?"

Because they have the staff to do that and then they can charge you for "nursing services" etc.

"...why do government hospitals have ugly nurses and private hospitals beautiful ones?"

Government hospitals pay less than private hospitals in many cases. Most people go to a hospital for treatment and care, not to ogle the pretty nurses. I doubt that many people really worry whether their nurse is a 5 or a 10, rather more concerned with their caring attitude and abilities.smile.png

...and what about an Affordable Health Care Fund for the Long Suffering, constantly paying FERANG?

If all the FERANG pack up and go home for treatment, THAILAND will go broke without the weekly pay-for-everything,

get NOTHING in Return, FERANG!

The health system is great in one area in my experience dentistry. The cheapest and best dentists are in Thailand. I got all my teeth lazer whitened for 10,000 baht. It would be 3 times that back in my home country. smile.png

"Why does every hospital insist on having you weighed and your blood pressure taken everytime ?"

Because they have the staff to do that and then they can charge you for "nursing services" etc.

"...why do government hospitals have ugly nurses and private hospitals beautiful ones?"

Government hospitals pay less than private hospitals in many cases. Most people go to a hospital for treatment and care, not to ogle the pretty nurses. I doubt that many people really worry whether their nurse is a 5 or a 10, rather more concerned with their caring attitude and abilities.smile.png

To be fair all Hospitals in the UK seem to weigh and take blood pressure at the drop of a hat. I suppose that it gives a baseline indication of a persons physical condition before they diagnose and treat,

Two of the nurses in the local Amphur Hospital are definite 8/9s. They speak good English too. I took my daughter in the other week, (persistent high temperature) and they explained what to watch for (we were worried about Dengue) and gave her excellent treatment.

I'm sure, that like so many areas in Thailand, (and indeed the rest of the world) the healthcare system could be better managed, and I am sure that the higher echelons are inevitably bedevilled with issues about "face", status, place in hierarchy and "informal accounting practices" but the fact remains that Thailand has something approaching near universal access to basic healthcare. Something to be valued and guarded.

One of the best things that has happened in Thailand ever was Thaksin's introduction of the universal health scheme. I cannot stand the man personally, I think he's an arrogant <deleted>, but I have nothing but praise for him on this.

Those of you who were here before the scheme will remember the fake travelling quack doctors, how ill Thais wouldn't go to hospital because they couldn't afford it, or were forced to borrow from loan sharks to pay for medical treatment. Now it is available to all Thais.

Sure there are bad hospitals and doctors but in my experience the good generally outweigh the bad.