Where would you store $2000 a month for a 15 year savings plan?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buy gold. In a few years, fiat currency (paper money) will only be useful as toilet paper. The price of gold is being artificially depressed to preserve historically low interest rates and provide life support for zombie banks drowning in derivative debt as oil and other commodity prices fall through the floor.

i would strongly avoid some f the Thai mutual funds right now... i put a few million into what was ING fund now UOB - both supposedly high performing funds 5 years ago... in all that time they are still 25% down....Absolute crap... dont invest in Thailand unless you want an early heart attack.

With $2000 a month to be saved, I suggest you start educating yourself with a lot of reading, then invest according to your own comfort level of risk.

If you diversify, at least some of your decisions will work for you.

10% precious metals

20% cash on deposit paying some interest

30% blue chip shares, only those which pay a reasonable dividend.

40% property; however, make sure you own it outright. A lot of scammers in property.

Whatever you do, be very wary of financial advisers. Most of them want to get their sticky paws on your money as fees for advice, or trailing commissions.

Best of luck, and keep working on it.

I think that if you choose to ask and take advice for a matter like this on a forum like this then there is little hope for you.

Get some professional advice from outside Thailand.

There is a fair sized population of high net worth expats living in Thailand. They did not get their money by being stupid or careless. Input from any could be quite beneficial. Your snarky post is not helpful to someone seeking help in building a nest egg.

The consensus is to build a diversified portfolio of stocks over a 15 year period. Absolutely do not forget to put as much of the money as you are allowed into whatever tax deferred or tax free retirement account that you country of origin permits. This is very important. Otherwise the tax man will nibble away at your efforts with an unceasing and ever larger apetitie.

If I were to embark on a program such as this, first I would determine all the avenues I could pursue to avoid taxes while the nest egg is growing. Then I would choose the particular investments to place into these investment vehicles that protect my assets from taxes. In your case, I would start with a highly regarded no-load (no commission) mutual fund with a good track record covering many years. These can be bought directly or through major investment dealers wordwide. The biggest and best fund groups in the US are Vanguard, Fidelity and T. Rowe Price. If you are a US citizen it's a no -brainer to get started.. If you need a more neutral adviser, Charles Schwab & Co can help you pick different funds from different groups at no charge to you.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more information. I am retired with 20 years experience in the investment business and have no axe to grind.

Good luck.

Study the classic car market closely. Borrow 300k from the bank and buy two or three cars, For example .... 308/328 Ferrari, E-type Jaguar, Porsche 993 Turbo etc. Pay the bank back the $2000 a month you would save and watch these three cars outstrip any other investment.

While I don't disagree classic cars usually increase in value, the risks are not stated.

1/ Risk of buying a lemon classic.

2/ Risk of lack of diversification.

3/ Risk of the bank calling in the loan with no notice. Yes, it has happened.

Agreed. I have a half dozen or so friends who are experienced long time collectors of automobiles and they have done very well over the years. Their knowledge of cars and the collecting business is encyclopedic. They very rarely ever borrow to buy and if they do, it's in order to turn a quick profit on the right car found in the wrong place. Their nest eggs were in place before they started and they absolutely knew their market. Great hobby, but not an ideal retirement plan if you value any degree of certainty

I don't know if our situations are similar or not, but because in my own case I'm a little under official retirement age at the moment, I have to put sweat equity (study of subjects, not work) as well as cash down in higher risk investments. If I get to the point where, if I understand you correctly, you want a reliable return rather than lottery style 'to the moon or bite the dust', then I would suggest (and I hate to say this, but if money is the goal then ....) I would suggest investigation of some Unethical stocks - by that I mean things like Lockheed Martin, British American Tobacco and others of that ilk.

If I was looking to invest I'd definitely go with the most evil corporations I could find.

I would also look at Energy Storage Systems, Robotics and Atmospheric Water Generators.

And to add to the list

Retirement homes, specifically high end retirement communities

Anything relating to Funeral homes and crematoriums