Visa on arrival while travelling to Chiang Mai

I have two main questions (four parts)

Visa on arrival for Australian on route to Chiang Mai

1. If someone was coming from Australia and transiting in Bangkok on route to Chiang Mai, can they get a visa on arrival (30 day) in Chiang Mai or they have to do it in Bangkok?

2. If in bangkok do they do it at the transit area where they move from International to domestic terminal?

3 or do they have to go through the immigration section as if you will stay in Bangkok. After getting the 30 day visa on arrival walk out of the area where you collect your check in Luggage and then up to the domestic departures and in there?

Visa on arrival for Indian on route to Chiang Mai

4. Where must an Indian go if they are getting a 15 day visa on arrival if they are travelling to Chiang Mai (they will be in Bangkok Airport for 2 hours before the next flight)? (the transit area between International and domestic or at Immigration in Bangkok)

Edited by StarEnergy

1 What nationality is the "person"?

A 30 day "visa exempt" entry would be available to an Australian citizen arriving in Bangkok

4. An Indian person could, with a confirmed flight out , obtain a VOA in Bangkok prior to approaching immigration (there is a big sign) for a fee of 1000 Bht.

Unless the flight's ultimate destination is Chiang Mai there would be no transit through the airport in Bangkok. There is no transit from international flights to domestic flights.

The person in either case would have to clear immigration in Bangkok collect their luggage and then check in for the flight to Chiang Mai,

An Australian would get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a visa on arrival.

The Australian has a one ticket Australia/Bangkok/Chiang Mai. So he will be flying through Bangkok. For him to get a 30 day visa exempt can he get it in Chiang Mai. His luggage will be booked through to Chiang Mai so he will not be leaving the airport. Where will he get his 30 day exempt visa, Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

If it is Chiang Mai just before collecting his luggage? If it is Bangkok does he have to go through immigration then out of the airport and then into the domestic area and then catch his plane?

Unless the flight's ultimate destination is Chiang Mai there would be no transit through the airport in Bangkok. There is no transit from international flights to domestic flights.

The person in either case would have to clear immigration in Bangkok collect their luggage and then check in for the flight to Chiang Mai,

An Australian would get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a visa on arrival.

The Australian has a return airline ticket Australia/Bangkok/Chiang Mai/return. He will be flying through Bangkok with 2 hour change between flights. His luggage will be booked through to Chiang Mai so he will not be leaving the airport. Where will he get his 30 day exempt visa, Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

If it is Chiang Mai just before collecting his luggage? If it is Bangkok does he have to go through immigration then out of the airport and then into the domestic area and then catch his plane?

1 What nationality is the "person"?

A 30 day "visa exempt" entry would be available to an Australian citizen arriving in Bangkok

4. An Indian person could, with a confirmed flight out , obtain a VOA in Bangkok prior to approaching immigration (there is a big sign) for a fee of 1000 Bht.

The Indian who is coming to Chiang Mai will be getting a return ticket not exceeding 14 days, Delhi/Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Return. He will be bringing 1000 Baht with him for the 15 day visa on arrival. His flight will have a stop over of about 2-3 hours in Bangkok on route for chiang Mai. The luggage will be booked through to Chiang Mai.

Where will he get his visa on arrival 15 day visa, in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

If Chiang Mai just before he picks up his luggage in the international terminal side?

Or in Bangkok Airport at immigration just before picking up check in luggage?

if there then he will have to leave the area where you collect your luggage and move up a floor to the departures area and walk to the domestic area where you check in luggage. He won't need to check in luggage because his luggage will be booked through to Chiang Mai and then enter into the domestic terminal and then go to his gate where his flight will depart?

Not sure where they would go through immigration without some more info.

Is the entire trip on the same airline and which airline is it.

The international flight Australia/Bangkok/Australia is with Thai Airways and the domestic flight is with Thai Smile. The tickets were booked and purchased from the Thai Airways International web site

I think they will clear immigration in Bangkok. Unless they get their boarding passes for the flight to Chiang Mai before leaving Australia they would have to check in for the flight.

I suggest they contact Thai airways to confirm how it is done.

If the Bangkok Chiang Mai flight is a domestic flight (most are, but airlines without carrying rights for domestic Thai flights can end up dropping passengers at two destinations, with no passengers boarding in Bangkok) then immigration (and purchase of a VOA if necessary) will occur in Bangkok. If it is a single flight number from outside Thailand to Chiang Mai, it is probably the rare exception of a flight terminating in Chiang Mai with a stop (no new passengers) in Bangkok. Two flight numbers, for sure, means immigration clearance in Bangkok.

I think they will clear immigration in Bangkok. Unless they get their boarding passes for the flight to Chiang Mai before leaving Australia they would have to check in for the flight.

I suggest they contact Thai airways to confirm how it is done.

When I have got a flight to Chiang Mai from Australia off the Thai web site they gave me two boarding tickets at Sydney Airport when I've booked my luggage through to Chiang Mai. The two boarding tickets were usually one from Sydney to Bangkok and the next Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I think this will be the case for my friend. He purchased the flight from Thai web site and will book his luggage through to Chiang Mai so probably get two boarding tickets. When you get your two boarding tickets the airline staff usually tells you in Sydney you will find out what the gate number is when you get to Bangkok.