Week-long celebration of the King planned next month

rooster59

Week-long celebration of the King planned next month

40-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: The government will be holding a week long celebration of His Majesty the King's 88th birthday anniversary from December 1-7.

Prime Minister’s Office permanent secretary Pol Gen Ake Angsananont said after chairing a meeting to prepare for the celebration.

He said an official opening ceremony of the celebrations will be held on December 1 at 6 pm at the National Museum.

Other activities scheduled to be held include an alms-giving ceremony of five religions at Sanam Luang, an exhibition of a sacred Buddha statue for the public to pay respect and worship.

Various activities will also be organised and the public could also enjoy a tour of the national museum at night.

Additionally, the government will set up signing posts at different locations across the capital, so that the public could write their well wishes to the King.

Yaowarat or Bangkok China Town will be closed off traffic on December 5 to allow activities to be held along the road.

In the provinces, celebrations will also be held at the same time.

Pol Gen Ake said that the government also invite the public to adorn yellow shirts throughout December.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/week-long-celebration-of-the-king-planned-next-month

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-28

whistling.gif For me personally the most important event of next week will take place on 4 December at about noon.

That is the day that my monthly pension will be transferred to my Bangkok Bank account as it is every month.

I know to others it may not be important, but it is to me because it litterly is the means of surviving here in Bangkok for another month and paying my monthly rent.

I do have funds to live if need be, but it would be a problem if the monthly funds transfer was somehow missed.

Thank you for that. Long Live The King.

whistling.gif For me personally the most important event of next week will take place on 4 December at about noon.

That is the day that my monthly pension will be transferred to my Bangkok Bank account as it is every month.

I know to others it may not be important, but it is to me because it litterly is the means of surviving here in Bangkok for another month and paying my monthly rent.

I do have funds to live if need be, but it would be a problem if the monthly funds transfer was somehow missed.

What riveting Information, I'm sure most of Thailand will be suitably impressed.

Does this mean that all banks, Thai Govt offices, etc., will be closed 1-7 Dec?

Well its not the week prior to the great event you need to look at its the week after! The 7th is a Bank Holiday for the 5th. Tuesday and Wednesday look to be normal, there was talk of Thursday being an additional days holiday as Friday is another Bank Holiday! Plan your trips to the bank this week for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyone know if there will be beer restrictions the week prior and he week after?

I think there is an ulterior motive...give the people more celebrations and they'll forget about other things. Not a new ploy...the ancient Roman Emperors did it all the time.

Who needs gladiatorial combat to the death in front of bloodthirsty baying crowds when we have Thai roads.

Off topic/responses to it and flame style posts removed.

A few others treading a very dangerous line have also been removed.

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Does this mean that all banks, Thai Govt offices, etc., will be closed 1-7 Dec?

Well its not the week prior to the great event you need to look at its the week after! The 7th is a Bank Holiday for the 5th. Tuesday and Wednesday look to be normal, there was talk of Thursday being an additional days holiday as Friday is another Bank Holiday! Plan your trips to the bank this week for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anyone know if there will be beer restrictions the week prior and he week after?

Yes I would also like to know if the 11th of December is a national holiday? The 10th is constitution day.Is it a 2 day working week 7th-11th December? Would be nice to know.

It would be nice but maybe too much to ask that timely notice is given as to what all the celebrations and holidays will mean in respect of what's open or not with regards to govt offices, banks etc, restrictions on alcohol sales and consumption etc.

LoS has a habit of leaving things open and very flexible which certainly suits those who can make their own interpretation as they ' enforce ' what they consider to be the law.

I think there is an ulterior motive...give the people more celebrations and they'll forget about other things. Not a new ploy...the ancient Roman Emperors did it all the time.

Who needs gladiatorial combat to the death in front of bloodthirsty baying crowds when we have Thai roads.

Is it really that bad? Based on road deaths per 100,000 vehicles, Thailand is somewhere in the middle @92.

India is @207. Nigeria @425. Central African Republic @13,472 (yikes!).

Ha! Oh Yeah, yes! So right. It means I'll have to stock this week and then stay at home during festivities.

Last minute planing again...

Well here in the UK Liz will be 90 next year and event planning is well under way.

What colour shirt will we be required to wear next year, for Her Majestys birthday? Edited by JAG