Do I really need an International Driving License in the UK

Make sure your passport number is the same as on the driving licence.

Some people don't realise this needs to be updated if you change passports.

The same goes with your address that is written in Thai on the back.

No different to the west certain details have to be updated.

I have rented dozens of cars in the uk, ( and also other euro countries) over the last few years. I also recently rented, without issue,in the US ( at LAX not pre booked, walked up to the counter). All I have is a standard Thai 5 year photo licence, I have never had any issue , never any delay, never questioned about it anywhere, absolutely no problem with anyone.

BTW, until recently, for various reasons my passport number and licence number did not match. This has not caused me any issues either, other than some minor inconvenience in Thailand ( eg can't use the license as a substitute for passport in a bank).

Edited by wordchild

I'm pretty sure the whole issue is down to the language the licence is issued in.

It seems to me to work both ways. When I applied for my Thai licence 8 years ago I was given both a car and m'bike one on the basis they could understand the UK driving licence, being in English. (only test was colour blindness and reaction)

Like the posters above, I have used my Thai licence to hire cars in the UK when on visits. In fact, legally, I am not entitled to a UK licence as an ex pat. (Over 70 it has to be renewed every 3 years and it was made clear to me by DVLC that I could not renew whilst being a non-resident. But. I could legally use my Thai licence for up to one year and if I had returned permanently to the UK I could renew my UK licence).

The only thing I found annoying with one car rental company in the UK is that they demanded a 500 pound guarantee on my credit card as I had a foreign licence. (Can't remember which one it was, but it was only one).

International licences do not seem to be an issue. Maybe if you had a Chinese licence etc, but I don't know.

I have rented once with my Thai driver's licence in the UK (I arrived on an urgent visit and had forgotten my UK driver's license).

But there is a legal technicality: If you have a valid UK driver's license (i.e. a UK driver's license is registered in your name and still valid) then you are obliged under UK law to drive on that license. Even if you present a foreign license to the hire company you are technically still driving under your UK license.

The impact of this is, if you have outstanding penalties (including a ban that his still in force) those penalties/ban are in place while you drive.

So if you are a banned driver on your UK driver's license and then drive using your Thai driver's licences, you are committing the criminal offence of driving while banned.

And if you have outstanding penalties on your UK driver's license but do not declare these and use your Thai license you may be invalidating your insurance.

strictly speaking you are only entitled to use a UK licence (to drive in the UK) if you are UK resident. When I first left the UK some years ago I spoke to Swansea about this and was told that I could hang onto the licence but, once I was non resident and ,had another licence from my new country of residence, my UK licence would no longer be valid and I should not use it.

I think they may have updated their guidance on this and made it more strict. On the advice of a friend, I checked with them again, a couple of years ago, and I was told that ,even though I had not used it since leaving the UK, I should really surrender my old UK one (ie post it to Swansea), the person I spoke to said this was to avoid the risk of fraud. Anyway I sent it in with a covering letter as they requested.

Edited by wordchild

A further point to add to my comment above; the person I spoke to at Swansea said that, if I ever returned to live in the UK, it would be fairly straightforward to have the licence reissued. All I would need to do would be to write in, stating I had now returned to live in the UK and giving new address details. a new licence would then be issued. (that's what he said anyway!)

As far as I know they have stopped issuing 'life license'.

If you have one and lose it you get a 5 year replacement.

Khun wifee lost her Thai lifetime DL about a year ago but got a new same replacement ...not a 5 year issue.

Regarding the requirements of holding a UK/EU.DL...I discussed it with the DVLA quite some time ago and indication centered simply around having a permanent address in UK..(.mines is rented out ) but to all accounts I am still a resident there.

Been travelling and working abroad for 30 plus years and with holding an "non immi multi 'o" yearly" visa...over here find it easier to maintain that status...

Edited by Rinrada

strictly speaking you are only entitled to use a UK licence (to drive in the UK) if you are UK resident. When I first left the UK some years ago I spoke to Swansea about this and was told that I could hang onto the licence but, once I was non resident and ,had another licence from my new country of residence, my UK licence would no longer be valid and I should not use it.

I think they may have updated their guidance on this and made it more strict. On the advice of a friend, I checked with them again, a couple of years ago, and I was told that ,even though I had not used it since leaving the UK, I should really surrender my old UK one (ie post it to Swansea), the person I spoke to said this was to avoid the risk of fraud. Anyway I sent it in with a covering letter as they requested.

But like a UK passport, a British DL, is pretty powerful, i.e. Accepted almost everywhere to allow car rental. For that reason i wouldnt send it back.

On another note: not so long ago, i hired a car on my thai license (no probs with 1 year temp license), got caught speeding and they still did me on the uk license - points and fine

well, as i said above, i have never had the slightest issue using my Thai licence, i need to rent a car 5/6 times per year usually in the UK but also other EU and US. I dont really know why anyone (who has a Thai licence) would use their (invalid) UK licence when driving in the UK. Apart from the fact that you are not supposed to (use your UK licence), and all the risks (potential invalid insurance etc) that go with that, there may even be some benefit in using your Thai licence; the manager of the central London car hire place that i regularly use told me recently that, in his experience, the police rarely bother to pursue minor motoring offences once they are informed by the hire company that the hirer had an overseas address and had a non UK licence.

Edited by wordchild

Interesting issue this UK driving licence business and non residency.

As I said in post 7 and wordchild repeats in post 11, DVLC advisers will tell you that you are not entitled to a UK license if non-resident. Fair enough. But just after I had the conversation with DVLC the computer still sent me a renewal notice for mine to the UK address of my daughter (the address which was on my licence). She sent it to Thailand and I sent it back and was issued with the licence. Guilty of breaking the law? Maybe, but I thought why not!.

This all comes down to age. As I mentioned, and many UK readers on this forum will know, your licence has to be renewed every 3 years over 70 y.o. -filling in a health declaration. I would imagine anyone here in Thailand in their 30's/40's/50's etc would not have any problem, given the licence is valid until you're 70.

However..........and here's the rub, I was advised some years ago that photo licences have to be renewed every 10 years with an up to date photo. Understandable for sure, but I knew several people in the UK who did not know this.