Nestlé praised for admitting slave labour used in Thai supply chain

rooster59

Nestlé praised for admitting slave labour used in Thai supply chain

post-247607-0-28141400-1448715943_thumb.

Nestlé has received praise this week over its admission on Monday that slave labour in Thailand is used in its supply chain for seafood.

PR Week quoted consultants describing the announcement that it was working to combat the problem as “brave” and “positive”.

Other campaigners said the move set an example for other companies to push the Thai government to clean up the industry.

The Geneva-based multinational commissioned an NGO to investigate following media allegations of abuses.

Verité‘s year-long inquiry concluded that forced labour was used, with migrants from Cambodia and Myanmar being sold and duped into working in Thailand’s seafood sector, kept in debt bondage and degrading conditions.

Nestlé has been under mounting pressure, facing two US lawsuits alleging that it imported pet food from a Thai supplier using slave labour, and cocoa beans from suppliers who use child labour in Ivory Coast.

The European Union threatened earlier this year to ban Thai seafood imports if the country failed to adopt adequate measures against slave labour and illegal fishing.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-28

The WORLD is catching up with Thailand. About time

Yes, well, there is no chance Thailand will catch up with he rest of the world. Let alone keep pace with SE Asia.

The international community are only too aware of who are the beneficiaries of the slave labour buisnesses and why it has continued unabated.

But they have not put an immediate stop to the purchase of fish products from Thai suppliers have they?

This is an admissions of something they knew ALL along, and a publicity stunt.

I have now stopped buying any of that companies products.

Thai fleets fishing in front of the Somalian coast are a part of the problem. The only reason the fishermen of Somalia have turned towards piracy is, that all the fish in front of their coast are gone.

Blame who ? NESTLE or the fishing fleets who fish for NESTLE ?

But they have not put an immediate stop to the purchase of fish products from Thai suppliers have they?

Quite a noble effort more people should follow your example. That is if you can keep track of all their products. At last count Nestle global owned over 2000 food and beverage brands alone and that is without even going into their cosmetic and pharmaceutical holdings.

Everyone should stop buying Nestle products

Try and buy local support the country where you live

Um, I'm not sure how you think, did you realize that many on this site live in Thailand, therefore you are suggesting we buy "local" therefore supporting the "slave" trade. mmm, something very wrong with your idea, unless, of course, you support the slave trade.

There ya have it. It took a law suit in US courts to get Nestle to admit there is slave labour in their supply chain. They didn't do this out of the goodness of their heart or nobility of character. And so it is with just about all mega corps.

The WORLD is catching up with Thailand. About time

the admission was just a feint to stall the EU from banning thai seafood . what would be good to see a couple heads roll . but tomorrow it will be BAU .

Soylent Green anyone?

Soon enough... if we keep depleting our planet the way we do now and multiply like rabbits at the same time.

huh ....? your momma got her baby and now you want to close the trap door ? shame on you , and I like rabbit stew .

never met a boycott I liked . nestle is local you I wanna feel good about myself bonehead ............

There ya have it. It took a law suit in US courts to get Nestle to admit there is slave labour in their supply chain. They didn't do this out of the goodness of their heart or nobility of character. And so it is with just about all mega corps.

dude you are not understanding , there is slave labor in most manufacture lines in Asia and eastern Europe . this admission will buy them a couple more years time to abuse . the laws are already in place to prevent and punish abusers . what needs to be done can only happen at the ballet box . if your civilian leader is strong the laws will be enforced , if weak , graft and kickbacks rule the day . the mega corps as you call them are doing what they are supposed to do , make money for their investors. whether it is righteous lighting and thunder or shxt it all starts at the top and flows down ..........

Edited by mikiea

Slave abusers praised admitting their actions...

To hell with Nestle and the like. I believe when they are faced with heavy jail sentences and fines...i won't hold my breath for obvious reasons.

ehhh... you eat fish , drink beer , shop at big c , all have ties to slave labor . I love it when old white men take a stand in the twilight of their consumerism ....

Slave labour to make food for pets, what has the world come to. People treated like animals to feed animals.

you awoke when ....? just who did you think was mixing all the road kill and rancid pig farm waste with spoiled rice ? did you think it was a union gig ? drive by bleeding hearts are truly what is wrong with this whole mess . what is needed is people in it for the long haul , people that klang when they walk , meely mouths need not post ... oh my god --- I am offended ... makes you look kinda dim .

Quite a noble effort more people should follow your example. That is if you can keep track of all their products. At last count Nestle global owned over 2000 food and beverage brands alone and that is without even going into their cosmetic and pharmaceutical holdings.

I had to look this up. You are right: Nestle

Never admit the truth until the evidence is so compelling then save the company name.

Slave labour to make food for pets, what has the world come to. People treated like animals to feed animals.

It is a far ,far better thing that I do now than I have ever done before, PRAISED! the world is sick. Why Thailand employs burmese slave labour when a falang cant even serve a beer when his wife goes to toilet is beyond me.

However nothing is beyond the animals that employ them and the animals that permit it to happen.

Is there not enough Thais in LOS???

Um, I'm not sure how you think, did you realize that many on this site live in Thailand, therefore you are suggesting we buy "local" therefore supporting the "slave" trade. mmm, something very wrong with your idea, unless, of course, you support the slave trade.

But choosing to live in such a country is even worse and shameful.

Such hypocrisy!