Nestlé praised for admitting slave labour used in Thai supply chain

rooster59

PR Week quoted consultants describing the announcement that it was working to combat the problem as “brave” and “positive”.

What else would we expect a magazine for outfits which rely for their income on burnishing corporate images to say - that Nestle's action was cowardly and negative?

To be fair, it is a fact Nestle HAS done more than most giant corporations to clean up the supply chain used in its products. But clearly the temptation to turn a blind eye to the sources of raw materials, etc is huge when it makes such a massive difference to profits.

In this case, where the cat was not only out of the bag but starting to scratch and bite, they really had no choice but to come clean. So why not make a virtue of necessity, eh. Business is business!

Wonder how long it will take before they are taken to court by the Thai government for slander and libel.

If they are Thailand wont win. These companies are too big and have excellent laywers

I believe in Thai courts only Thai lawyers are allowed to practice. Are there any excellent lawyers in Thailand?

The WORLD is catching up with Thailand. About time

Now if the WORLD would catch up with corporate crime and start jailing executives, like Iceland, perhaps the impropriety would stop because it's no longer safe for those engaging in illegal profiteering. These acts don't occur in a vacuum.

Edited by connda

But they have not put an immediate stop to the purchase of fish products from Thai suppliers have they?

This is an admissions of something they knew ALL along, and a publicity stunt.

I have now stopped buying any of that companies products.

Of course they knew.

All the major companies are aware of the labor abuses in low cost and developing countries - slave and debt bonded labor, forced labor, child labor, people trafficking etc. They have chosen to ignore it as profits and only profits matter. Just as they turn a blind eye to greasing the right palms to ensure things go smoothly in some countries and deals.

The UK has introduced knew legislation requiring organizations with a turnover above GBP 36m to include statements and details in their annual reports on how they ensure they address these issues in their supply chain. Last year they beefed up their anti-bribery laws. (I believe the US also strengthened theirs too).

The fact major countries are still introducing new laws and strengthening existing laws shows how organizations, especially major global entities, will not act ethically and morally without the force of law. Even then, a lot will pay lip service.

Merkel is a good example. Trying to ram enforce quotas of economic migrants down the throats of other EU countries to suit her own federalist EU agenda; but ignores the immoral, cheating and lying of German mega companies like VW and Siemens.

Anyone who thinks Thailand is the only, or anywhere near the worst, in these matters should open their eyes.

The WORLD is catching up with Thailand. About time

Now if the WORLD would catch up with corporate crime and start jailing executives, like Iceland, perhaps the impropriety would stop because it's no longer safe for those engaging in illegal profiteering. These acts don't occur in a vacuum.

Indeed. Iceland doesn't even allow bankers and financiers to be above the law as the rest of the Western world seem to do.

Indeed. Iceland doesn't even allow bankers and financiers to be above the law as the rest of the Western world seem to do.

Quite easy when your entire population is 400k, there are most likely more bankers in the USA then Icelanders on the planet!

But yes, it really would be good to see some justice. The only way to right the wrongs of the past 30 years is to increase inheritance taxes, to 100% - force rich people to distribute their wealth before they die, making the beneficiaries liable for tax...

Edited by ParadiseLost

I've stopped buying Fishermans Friends in Thailand now... Got to make a stand !!

That makes absolutely no sense seen as the only place Fishermans Friends are made is Fleetwood, UK so no slave labour there ;)

They had no choice but to admit it. Or it would have been another VW charade.

For me this is much worse than the VW charade.

Yeah id rather some company try fool an emissions test than a company that uses forced slave labour

Everyone should stop buying Nestle products

Try and buy local support the country where you live

Um, I'm not sure how you think, did you realize that many on this site live in Thailand, therefore you are suggesting we buy "local" therefore supporting the "slave" trade. mmm, something very wrong with your idea, unless, of course, you support the slave trade.

But choosing to live in such a country is even worse and shameful.

Such hypocrisy!

Some people have families. Living in a country does NOT mean you support slavery, your "thinking", or lack of it, is very much like that of a fool...

Did the justice minister ask you to post that? A company behaves ethically, and you want to boycott them? Buy locally? You mean seafood that is caught with slave labor? Is that the kind of local you are referring to? This post is about a company calling out a culture and a country for slave labor. It is a heinous practice. I doubt it is being sufficiently addressed. Does anyone have info on that? Have any boat captains been arrested? Have any major seafood companies faced major charges, massive fines, or arrest and imprisonment of their executives? If not, what has changed? An occasional inspection of a few boats is not going change much. Nestle is doing the right thing. Only by calling enough attention to this travesty will things begin to change. Dealing in human trafficking and slave labor is about as heinous an act as a human being can commit. Only life imprisonment of boat captains and company executives, massive fines for companies found to be participating, and confiscation of the boats, is barely a starting point for a country that says it wants to be removed from the international human trafficking lists.

Um, I'm not sure how you think, did you realize that many on this site live in Thailand, therefore you are suggesting we buy "local" therefore supporting the "slave" trade. mmm, something very wrong with your idea, unless, of course, you support the slave trade.

But choosing to live in such a country is even worse and shameful.

Such hypocrisy!

Some people have families. Living in a country does NOT mean you support slavery, your "thinking", or lack of it, is very much like that of a fool...

I agree you are a better one than I am to recognise my traits.

Justifying your pathetic actions proves it beyond doubt.

But they have not put an immediate stop to the purchase of fish products from Thai suppliers have they?

This is an admissions of something they knew ALL along, and a publicity stunt.

I have now stopped buying any of that companies products.

Quite a noble effort more people should follow your example. That is if you can keep track of all their products. At last count Nestle global owned over 2000 food and beverage brands alone and that is without even going into their cosmetic and pharmaceutical holdings.

Well i use no cosmetics, limit my pharmas to an absolute minimum, and rarely go to supermarkets where most of their products would be found.

Growing up with a mother and grandma who grew up/lived during the depression gave me a prudent outlook in some areas of life.

No doubt I've probably bought something from them, the least I can do is try to be aware of such things and make decisions based on that.

Did the justice minister ask you to post that? A company behaves ethically, and you want to boycott them? Buy locally? You mean seafood that is caught with slave labor? Is that the kind of local you are referring to? This post is about a company calling out a culture and a country for slave labor. It is a heinous practice. I doubt it is being sufficiently addressed. Does anyone have info on that? Have any boat captains been arrested? Have any major seafood companies faced major charges, massive fines, or arrest and imprisonment of their executives? If not, what has changed? An occasional inspection of a few boats is not going change much. Nestle is doing the right thing. Only by calling enough attention to this travesty will things begin to change. Dealing in human trafficking and slave labor is about as heinous an act as a human being can commit. Only life imprisonment of boat captains and company executives, massive fines for companies found to be participating, and confiscation of the boats, is barely a starting point for a country that says it wants to be removed from the international human trafficking lists.

"nestle behaving ethically"? you mean years of profiting from barbarous labor practices?

That they would have KNOWN about, its only that the spot light is on these

atrocities that they now "speak out"

get real