Notary and fingerprints

DanceAllNight

First..To be 100% clear..

There are no internationally recognized notary publics in Thailand. Thailand is not a signatory to the notary public international convention and any lawyer claiming to do this is missleading you. Thailand operates its own 'Thai notary services' which is about as legal as a Thai rolex bought on sukhumvit. Beware, using any Thai notorization can cause you to lose an international court case if the document is questioned as it will not pass international standards.

You can (easily) get documents certified or stated as a 'true copy' so be sure on exactly what legal basis you need the documents authenticity established as.

I had to go to the US embassy to claim some US taken at source taxes, the IRS would accept nothing other than that from Thailand.

First..To be 100% clear..

There are no internationally recognized notary publics in Thailand. Thailand is not a signatory to the notary public international convention and any lawyer claiming to do this is missleading you. Thailand operates its own 'Thai notary services' which is about as legal as a Thai rolex bought on sukhumvit. Beware, using any Thai notorization can cause you to lose an international court case if the document is questioned as it will not pass international standards.

You can (easily) get documents certified or stated as a 'true copy' so be sure on exactly what legal basis you need the documents authenticity established as.

I had to go to the US embassy to claim some US taken at source taxes, the IRS would accept nothing other than that from Thailand.

Buyer beware. The above is correct. Every noodle stall and hot dog vender in Thailand is a notary. You may get lucky with a notary from the Thailand back in your home country but any judge in the west that is up on this will through your notary out. This has happened in the USA,UK and EU. OP you need to contact the FBI directly and ask them what they accept.

to clarify, i need the notary for my university degree.

i need a replacement, and to get one, they need you to fill out a form, sign it, and then have it notarized.

i don't think they'd be too picky on a notary, it's just a college, but they want to be sure it is the person signing it.

any good, reliable notary - that someone has used - works for me. I don't think they're going to hard press me on it. After all, it's the money they want most, right ;)

I used a lawyer for a Canadian Government conformation. I first contacted them and informed them of the situation and asked if a lawyer would be OK they agreed.

Just for general info Canada is not a signature of of the international agreement of notary.whistling.gif

If you only need certified or true copy.. its easy..

If you need notorized, for something non critical.. You can chance it..

If you need a notarized document for a serious issue.. BEWARE, Thai lawyers, who for sure know the law, lie and say its ok, yes this is notarized when they know its not international standard.

In the OPs case.. sure chance it.. But for the record, its something that needs to be better known, if it saves one person losing custody or something similar for the sake of some small costs.

I used a lawyer for a Canadian Government conformation. I first contacted them and informed them of the situation and asked if a lawyer would be OK they agreed.

Just for general info Canada is not a signature of of the international agreement of notary.whistling.gif

Well that explains it.

But it still might be an answer for this fellow. Not sure if it would save him any money though.

Yeah, they just want to make sure I am the same person who is getting the degree.

I sign the form, they verify I am actually the person.

Don't think it needs any special notary. I asked my university, and they said some banks do it. Any chance a bank does it in CM?

Also, anyone know of big police stations here with a CSI lab so I can do fingerprints?

I have no experience with canada but wiki seems to say otherwise (with different issues relating to BC and Quebec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public#Canada

I have no experience with canada but wiki seems to say otherwise (with different issues relating to BC and Quebec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public#Canada

We try to ignore Quebec.

On the issue of a notary I believe their is or was a Thai one in hillside 4 that sounds like what the university would accept.

It has been a while since this topic has been around he might have moved.

Yeah, they just want to make sure I am the same person who is getting the degree.

I sign the form, they verify I am actually the person.

Don't think it needs any special notary. I asked my university, and they said some banks do it. Any chance a bank does it in CM?

Also, anyone know of big police stations here with a CSI lab so I can do fingerprints?

The police station on the road to Wat Phrasing can do fingerprints. BTW police departments were doing fingerprints well before what you see on the show CSI! There is no lab involved. The process is more like out of a 1950's movie. Lots of messy ink and a card which you provide.

Archived