Teacher holding son's tablet

TheCruncher

We had to learn our home phone numbers after our names, but before learning to tie our shoelaces.....when we were four years old! The only thing I see that the school did wrong was the teacher not allowing the kid to catch the late bus, then not following up to make sure he was safe. But...the school very well may have a policy where students, who are stranded report to the office and are accommodated. Apparently, you haven't properly instructed the child on what to do in a situation....100 THB for an emergency, how to find a responsible adult and ask for help. Even in a scummy place like Pattaya, I think any Tuk-Tuk would give a kid a ride on credit. I was walking around the train station area in Pattaya, and a lady on a motorcycle actually stopped and offered me a ride, as has happened numerous times in Thailand...they do have a certain amount of good Samaratan in them.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hear the "Helping Mrs. Jones" excuse 1000 times. Did Mrs. Jones know that the student was scheduled and required to be in another class after school? Did the student have a note from Mrs. Jones? Once the student is enrolled in an extra class, it doesn't mean he can play in the corridors after school, it means he is required to be there, on time. Imagine your the teacher giving instructions to 40 students. Every time someone walks in, you have to start over...it gets old quickly. The survivors put a policy in place to minimize the repeats. Roll is taken and immediately sent to the office...they can deal with those missing. Anyone else entering, needs a note from a teacher or the office. Parents need to wait until after class to speak with the teacher, they can't come barging in and demand that you give their kid his two weeks of missed assignments. Some schools require parents and all visitors to report directly to the office or they are considered trespassers. People need to be considerate of the learning process. In customer service; they have the 10/90 Rule, it is 100% applicable to schools. 10% of your students will take 90% of your time and effort. My experiences have proven that the parents, who are always ready to fight the smallest of battles with the schools end up with worthless kids. Pick your battles carefully; there will be a time, when they need you. They took your kids toy, that was forbidden, and you try and make a police case out of it. I've seen stuff that was kept until the end of the school year; the end of the day simply wasn't a deterrent.

You have a choice !

1. Explain quietly and polity why the boy had the tablet/phone in his bag and ask for its return This may/may not result in the property being returned as clearly the boy was aware that such items were banned from the school

Or

2. Generate a huge row ending with you having to explain your behaviour to the police.

When the items are eventually returned make other arrangements other than taking the items to school on Fridays.

3. Tell him you want 100,000 Baht as compensation and introduce him to the local motorcycle gang at the same time (who will take half the cut).