Teacher holding son's tablet

TheCruncher

My son lives with his mom, who lives at the other side of town, but I pick him up at school on Friday and he stays with me during the weekends.

There is a rule set by his class teacher that they can't use tablets or phones in the school.

My son also adheres to that rule, but on Friday he will carry his tablet and phone in his bag, for the obvious reason that otherwise doesn't have access to it during the weekend.

Last Friday the teacher searched his bag and confiscated the tablet, and told that his mom should come collect it on Monday.

Today his mom went to the school and the teacher informed her that he will hold the tablet for another month.

Of course, since the mother is Thai and she stands in front of a teacher, it was of course all Crapon crapon. But that doesn't fit in my book.

I told the mom she should file a complaint with the police, but that fall on deaf ears as you will probably understand.

So what are my options?

I plan to visit the school on Wednesday, and knowing myself, it will be known all over the place when I'm there.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a choice !

1. Explain quietly and polity why the boy had the tablet/phone in his bag and ask for its return This may/may not result in the property being returned as clearly the boy was aware that such items were banned from the school

Or

2. Generate a huge row ending with you having to explain your behaviour to the police.

When the items are eventually returned make other arrangements other than taking the items to school on Fridays.

Please take a Thai person with a good reputation to the school and explain what happened.

I understand that some schools might have weird rules, but searching the boy's bag's very unusual.

Do all with a big smile and give the teacher the feeling that it was his/her idea to give it immediately back.With the Thai person's help, please make sure that this will never happen again.

Buy him another tablet to keep at your place.

You can't be serious.

Very much so. If tablets are not tolerated at school, and there's no other way of transporting the tablet between the two places, it's a practical solution.

I know some people are more interested in crying about 'the principle' than entertaining a pragmatic way around a situation, but I don't believe in making life any harder than it needs to be.

Go to the local police, report it stolen, and provide the name place of work of the thief.

Ask them to recover the stolen property in school hours, and offer them a suitable reward for their trouble.

Alternative

Turn up at school during the day, ask to see the principal

Shout and scream until the thief is punished, make it as public as possible.

Thais hate confrontation.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Go to the local police, report it stolen, and provide the name place of work of the thief.

Ask them to recover the stolen property in school hours, and offer them a suitable reward for their trouble.

As you can read in the OP that was my first consideration, but since I'm not registered as the legal father I doubt I can file a report, and the mother obvious is too Thai to do such.

As you can read in the OP that was my first consideration, but since I'm not registered as the legal father I doubt I can file a report, and the mother obvious is too Thai to do such.

You paid for the tablet, it belongs to you.

The child had merely borrowed it.

Recover your property.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You have a choice !

1. Explain quietly and polity why the boy had the tablet/phone in his bag and ask for its return This may/may not result in the property being returned as clearly the boy was aware that such items were banned from the school

Or

2. Generate a huge row ending with you having to explain your behaviour to the police.

When the items are eventually returned make other arrangements other than taking the items to school on Fridays.

I understand that rules are made to obey, but I doubt that a teacher has any legal right to confiscate a students property for a month.

You paid for the tablet, it belongs to you.

The child had merely borrowed it.

Good point. In fact I still have the receipt.

Everyone is ignoring the perhaps obvious fact that the boy wasn't, in fact, obeying the rule. Very possible he was <deleted> around on the tablet and got caught. Uh oh better tell daddy a lie because, we'll kids are kids.

In any event, pretty sure thats how the teachers story will go.

Everyone is ignoring the perhaps obvious fact that the boy wasn't, in fact, obeying the rule. Very possible he was <deleted> around on the tablet and got caught. Uh oh better tell daddy a lie because, we'll kids are kids.

And does that give the teacher the right to hold something that isn't his property in his possession for a month?

I dont care if he boy was obeying the rule or not. The teacher can hold the tablet during school hours, thats it. When school is over for the day the teacher then has no authority at all. If he does not return it then it is stealing.

I would not bother with bringing a thai with authority, i would just tell the teacher to either give it back now and if not you will evaluate the cost of a new tablet and the teacher can imagine how that cost will be put back onto him, or her, either way it will cost them.

It is stealing, pure and simple.

You have a choice !

Or

I understand that rules are made to obey, but I doubt that a teacher has any legal right to confiscate a students property for a month.

I believe the teacher does have a right to confiscate it during school hours as it is a school rule that they are not allowed. However, for them to keep it for a month is outright theft. If you are not recognised as the boys father you may only have the option of going to the director and demanding that your property be returned and if refused, go get the polices help. Other than that you have NO rights to what happens to this boy.

There is a rule set by his class teacher that they can't use tablets or phones in the school.

He wasn't using it in class. She searched his bag and found it inside.

Why did she search his bag?

The teacher is a male, and yes it was found inside his bag.

I have no idea why the bag was searched, but he wasn't the only one who had his bag searched, but the students were warned that bags would be searched on a frequent base.

"I told the mom she should file a complaint with the police, but that fall on deaf ears as you will probably understand."

I'm not surprised with such a bizarre and hostile reaction to your son's school, like that.

You mean it is over the top for me to claim back my property?

Simply put: You give the teacher 5 minutes to give the tablet back or use the word kamoy. Your son will be untouchable then. giggle.gif

Other questions to consider: your child is a luk kreung? Any other bags searched besides your son's?coffee1.gif

Actually that is the only thing I worry about,

If I have to use drastic measures to get the tablet back, and there is no question that I will get it back whatever that involves, is that the boy will be targeted by the &lt;deleted&gt; teacher.

Edited by TheCruncher

Simply put: You give the teacher 5 minutes to give the tablet back or use the word kamoy. Your son will be untouchable then. giggle.gif

Other questions to consider: your child is a luk kreung? Any other bags searched besides your son's?coffee1.gif

Actually that is the only thing I worry about,

If I have to use drastic measures to get the tablet back, and there is no question that I will get it back whatever that involves, is that the boy will be targeted by the <deleted> teacher.

I wouldn't worry, bullies are usually cowards at heart.

If dad is known to cause problems, most of the teachers will pick on someone easier.

Go to the police or the headmaster ...... not the teacher.

But having it in his bag is not the same as using it in class.

I don't understand what the kid was doing wrong.

If he had food in his bag it wouldn't matter as long as he did not eat it in class, no?

That is also my understanding, and why I consider it a silly rule.

Also nobody can prohibit the student how they spend their break time. If they want to use their tablet during lunch time, then I see nothing wrong with that.

It's obvious which people are teachers and which aren't. Good idea, go in and start telling the kids that their teachers are wrong on everything. Then when your kids learn jack shit because they don't listen to their teachers I'm sure you'll be whining about that too.

Seriously, why would any teacher WANT to keep a kids tablet? I've had to confiscate phones from kids, it's a pain in the ass but necessary when they are always trying to sneak them under their tables to play the newest Gem bullshit game.

Schools have rules that are vastly different from other parts of society. Bell schedules, detention, uniforms anyone?

It's obvious which people are teachers and which aren't. Good idea, go in and start telling the kids that their teachers are wrong on everything. Then when your kids learn jack shit because they don't listen to their teachers I'm sure you'll be whining about that too.

Seriously, why would any teacher WANT to keep a kids tablet? I've had to confiscate phones from kids, it's a pain in the ass but necessary when they are always trying to sneak them under their tables to play the newest Gem bullshit game.

Schools have rules that are vastly different from other parts of society. Bell schedules, detention, uniforms anyone?

I'm pretty confident that my son wasn't playing with his tab, because there is an app installed on it that blocks all installed games during weekdays, and also blocks access to Playstore.

From my phone I can check every app installed on his tablet, and control it as well, and also see at what time he used which app.

Does school also have the right to steal property from others?

Because not returning the tablet to the parents on request, is nothing more than stealing.

Buy him another tablet to keep at your place.

sorry, but that is just a silly idea and it demonstrates a total lack of backbone.

the teacher has no right to confiscate property, especially expensive property.

I would go to the school ask to speak to the teacher and explain that the tablet was mine and my son is allowed to use it out of school hours. that he was carrying the tablet for use on the weekend at my place.

I would then ask the teacher to release the tablet and understand that the child will be bringing the tablet to school every friday, and that the teacher can keep the tablet in his/her custody while the child studies and release it when the child leaves.

there is no need to get lairy, quietly insist, escalate to school admin if necessary, and simply say you will sit and wait until you get what you want. all smiles. just dont give up until you have the tablet.

i would be more concerned about the bag search personally.

"I told the mom she should file a complaint with the police, but that fall on deaf ears as you will probably understand."

I'm not surprised with such a bizarre and hostile reaction to your son's school, like that.

You mean it is over the top for me to claim back my property?

Multiple personalities?

Edited by somchaismith