KTM announces RC and Duke 250 - Also reduces pricing on 200s/390s

TheRoadWarrior

Happy Grumpy , i very nearly posted something similar yesterday. Same tenacity. LL2 posted some informative posts. RE , Duke overheating. It was caused by both a poor quality , under- powered electric fan , whose fan blades could detatch from the motor , and a very reistrictive shroud / deflector that encased the rear of the fan. This was an attempt to re-direct the hot , expeled radiator air , away from the rider , due to some riders complaining about hot legs , when in both trousers and shorts.The shroud design / outlet hole was too reistrictive , not allowing enough hot air out. So it ran hot. The cure is too ditch the shroud , and fit a better quality , higher powered electric fan. The process , and the fan details are on various KTM forums. In Thailand , if these mods are done , there wont be any problems. Some have gone the extra mile / kilometer , and added "Engine Ice" coolent , or similar.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thumbsup.gif Very nice, congrats.

Do you plan to do anything to it, after-market exhaust etc?

Local Thai engineer modifies original pipe to make it a tad louder with a throaty sound - without attracting the Police's attention and looks like it hasn't been faffed with...many of my pals going down this route - and a snip at 1,500 B

Got Rad guard, hand guards and larger screen...

on the list are the orange crash bars that go nicely with the orange trellacing...

Off to K Speed in a couple of days - a fair bit of stuff there to tempt you....

http://www.k-speed.net/index.php?p=1&mo=30&cid=384674

post-95864-0-45123100-1469356845_thumb.j

Edited by properperson

Local Thai engineer modifies original pipe to make it a tad louder with a throaty sound - without attracting the Police's attention and looks like it hasn't been faffed with...many of my pals going down this route - and a snip at 1,500 B

on the list are the orange crash bars that go nicely with the orange trellacing...

Hand guards seem like something more for MX.

Will you be using it off road?

KTM OEM for the Duke range, supplied / fitted by the KTM dealer....

KTM OEM for the Duke range, supplied / fitted by the KTM dealer....

Bling. Sorta like putting a wing on a Volvo.

I'm beginning to wonder if you ride at all in thailand, what with the "to hot" and this, and sorry no, using a scooter to go to the sev is not "riding in thailand" imo

I'm beginning to wonder if you ride at all in thailand, what with the "to hot" and this, and sorry no, using a scooter to go to the sev is not "riding in thailand" imo

yeh - some people could cause an arguement in an empty room.....

post-95864-0-90379700-1469618126_thumb.j

Nope, never had any need for hand guards on the street. facepalm.gif

Yep, it's too damn hot for wearing proper protection and over the long haul for touring (speaking from experience) but locally running back and forth into town there are some major advantages over using a car. Finding a parking spot for one! Had mine for about 2 years and have about 16km on the clock in comparison I've put nearly ten times that on my bike in Europe during the same period of time.

And that was without the fancy hand guards! beatdeadhorse.gif

Nope, never had any need for hand guards on the street. facepalm.gif

Yep, it's too damn hot for wearing proper protection and over the long haul for touring (speaking from experience) but locally running back and forth into town there are some major advantages over using a car. Finding a parking spot for one! Had mine for about 2 years and have about 16km on the clock in comparison I've put nearly ten times that on my bike in Europe during the same period of time.

everyones different.....take this guy....stripped his 390 down considerably and painted the wheels black:

post-95864-0-76747800-1469864084_thumb.j

On 30 July 2016 at 5:02 PM, fullcave said:

I had some basic Acerbis hand guards on a CRF450 I used to ride in BKK traffic - saved me from a few dramas more than once. Its very nice not to have your handlebars exposed on bikes not using 'clip ons'.

I guess it might not be as cool as bent levers though :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, fullcave said:

Sure does, especially for the riders under 5'10" 

And for experienced 5' 10" riders:

"On smooth pavement, there’s little that could keep up with it under a brave expert rider"

Below a BMW S1000RR crashes trying to get past a Duke 390 round the twisties:

Edited by properperson

Why do they call it the Duke 390 when it is only 373 cc?

Also, a previous version needed a recall over a serious front sprocket issue. Instead of ordering a recall they sneakily told the dealers to change the front sprockets when the owners came in for a service.

34 minutes ago, DLang said:

Why do they call it the Duke 390 when it is only 373 cc?

Also, a previous version needed a recall over a serious front sprocket issue. Instead of ordering a recall they sneakily told the dealers to change the front sprockets when the owners came in for a service.

Well at least they call it that, the CB300 is only 27x something, so they are "cheating" even more.

The little Honda "300" might be closer to a 275 , but the Honda CB "500" is even worse , as it is closer to a 450. The KTM "390" ( 373 )  has similar power than the CB "500 / 450 but weighs about 110 LBS less. That old Honda must be the weight of an old barge . Its said to handle like one too. Point of intrest , the KTM EXC range of 500,s isnt 500cc either , they are over 510cc.

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

The little Honda "300" might be closer to a 275 , but the Honda CB "500" is even worse , as it is closer to a 450. The KTM "390" ( 373 )  has similar power than the CB "500 / 450 but weighs about 110 LBS less. That old Honda must be the weight of an old barge . Its said to handle like one too. Point of intrest , the KTM EXC range of 500,s isnt 500cc either , they are over 510cc.

Did you ride one? I did, for 3 years, and it is super flexible and not too heavy at all. Perfect for city riding and long trips.

But you probably only have experience with real motoGP bikes and the rest is not good enough for you.

Must be fun riding those tracks all day every day, living the life.

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

The KTM "390" ( 373 )  has similar power than the CB "500 / 450 but weighs about 110 LBS less. 

Not quite true, it has nearly 10% less HP. 47hp to 43hp if I'm not mistaken. Which sounds the same as the R3 which is only 321cc. 

32 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Does anyone know when these are available and price ?

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.th/th/en/bike/urban/2015/g310r/g310r_overview.html

Looks like not available yet, on same site you linked to I found the price list and the 310 is not there yet; http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.th/th/en/price_and_finance/price_and_finance_list.html

Nice little bike, you will have to contact a BMW dealer to see if it comes but it's on the link you supplied so sure looks like it.