Need Certificate of Residence no lease

Hi

I need to get a Certificate of Residence to renew my drivers Licence.

I am currently house sitting a house and am not on a Lease, just paying rent straight to owner. What are my options?

I am on a Tourist Visa 60 SETV.

Also I was told that as of few weeks ago if foreigners are not registered (somewhere) the owner can be fined significant amount. Not sure if we make up a lease that they could get fined? Don't want to get them in trouble.

Advice appreciated .

In CM.

Thanks

My landlord won't put my wife on the virgin tabian baan for the house we rent - so she is registered at his own address - consequently, every official document, visa and licence connected to my wife and I is at my landlords address which is a stones throw from my local immigration office and police station .. Has anyone ever checked ? No, in a word.

If you are a US citizen, you can get the proof of address for a driver's license from the US embassy. There is actually a form for it. That's what I did when I got my license. Very easy and I didn't have a lease either. . Don't know about other country's embassies.

Some DLT offices will only give the temporary 2 year licence on any TV.

Some offices will not issue a licence on a TV.

I used to get my C of R's from the local Police station.

Never needed a Lease, just the landlords ID card and Tabian Baan.

My landlord won't put my wife on the virgin tabian baan for the house we rent - so she is registered at his own address - consequently, every official document, visa and licence connected to my wife and I is at my landlords address which is a stones throw from my local immigration office and police station .. Has anyone ever checked ? No, in a word.

What is a virgin Tabian Baan?

It's not up to your landlord!

If your wife is Thai she can get her own Tabian Baan from the local Amphur.

Being Thai she will know this.

Your arrangements sound a little extraordinary and unusual.

So your giving a false address for your extensions and driving licences!

Edited by Faz

We rent a property and have done for 5 years now, the landlord has a tabian baan but will not let my wife add her name to the book, which he wants to keep clean for the first owner .. Don't ask me, i have posted it here before - maybe some superstition, maybe some idea that he can sell the house as a house never used.

It's not however illegal for a Thai person to be registered at a residence that they don't live at.

No, my wife doesn't know she can apply for her own tabian baan .. Could you enlighten my wife ? I guess it would need a copy of the deeds ( we don't even have a current rental agreement anymore, there's no need ) at very least the cooperation of the landlord ( which will never happen ) or does the ampur hand them out on request ??

Yes, i am giving a false address as this is the only option in the broken system .. To file a TM30 the house master who immigration suggested is my wife needs to present her ID card and the corresponding tabian baan. This is needed to get a certificate of residence, so immigration use the address provided, the DLT use the address on cert res and it continues ..

I'm not totally happy with this procedure but at the moment it's the best I can do. I will search or start another thread on procedure to gain a tabian ban.

The point of the post - The residence that I have never lived in is 5 minutes walk from the immigration office, yet no one from the office even thinks to walk round the corner and knock on the door even tho' they "confirm" my residence with a certificate.

We rent a property and have done for 5 years now, the landlord has a tabian baan but will not let my wife add her name to the book, which he wants to keep clean for the first owner .. Don't ask me, i have posted it here before - maybe some superstition, maybe some idea that he can sell the house as a house never used.

It's not however illegal for a Thai person to be registered at a residence that they don't live at.

No, my wife doesn't know she can apply for her own tabian baan .. Could you enlighten my wife ? I guess it would need a copy of the deeds ( we don't even have a current rental agreement anymore, there's no need ) at very least the cooperation of the landlord ( which will never happen ) or does the ampur hand them out on request ??

Yes, i am giving a false address as this is the only option in the broken system .. To file a TM30 the house master who immigration suggested is my wife needs to present her ID card and the corresponding tabian baan. This is needed to get a certificate of residence, so immigration use the address provided, the DLT use the address on cert res and it continues ..

I'm not totally happy with this procedure but at the moment it's the best I can do. I will search or start another thread on procedure to gain a tabian ban.

The point of the post - The residence that I have never lived in is 5 minutes walk from the immigration office, yet no one from the office even thinks to walk round the corner and knock on the door even tho' they "confirm" my residence with a certificate.

You wife cannot get a tambien baan unless she is the owner of the house. Only one can be issued per house.

Not sure but I think in order for a person to registered in a house book the head of household must be shown in the book. That is probably why your wife cannot be added to the one for where you are living.

You could probably get a yellow house book for where you are living if the owner agreed to it.

Your best bet is to avoid al of the Thai BS, get the document from your embassy and pay them whatever exorbitant price that they charge. Currently 1800 baht from the US Embassy, plus the trip to Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Edited by wayned

Chiang Mai

Also do they actually check anything lease wise?

I still have an old lease form a condo that had no finish date, even though I haven't lived there for 6 months.

Do you also have copies of the "old" landlords ID card and tabian ban ?

No it was a condo complex.

Your best bet is to avoid al of the Thai BS, get the document from your embassy and pay them whatever exorbitant price that they charge. Currently 1800 baht from the US Embassy, plus the trip to Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Will a Statutory Decralation be accepted signed by an Aust JP does anyone know?

Thanks for the explanation, I understand your position now.

As Ubonjoe correctly stated only one blue book per household can be issued. Usually the owner is the principal name then other family names are added.

A foreigner however cannot be added to a blue book, with the exception of a foreigner having PR and married to a Thai.

In this exception, the wife will be the principal name, the foreigner with PR a secondary name.

Another exception is a foreigner owning a Condo. He will be issued a Blue book, but his name cannot be registered in the book.

A Thai can own 3 properties and 3 Blue books, but can only be named in one.

Your wife will already be registered in another Blue book at a different address.

That does not stop you from getting a Yellow book for your current residence though.

(Blue book, house owner. Yellow book foreign tenant)

Your landlord should give you copies of his Tabian Baan and ID card, plus a copy of the Tabian Baan (un-named) for your current address.

Those documents are the basis for proof of address for Immigration, Driving Centre and obtaining your Yellow Tabian Baan.

The copies should all be signed by your landlord with his contact number.

A lease is useful, but personally I have never been asked for mine, not even by Immigration.

You will have to enquire at your local Amphur for their procedure to obtain your Yellow house book.

Some find they make the procedure so difficult they give up, whilst others find it straight forward and relativity easy.