Who Hijacked All The Tourists & The Cool Season ?

freedomnow

Same time last year it was COLD in CM. This year a little cool. But the airport is a crazy nightmare. Due to added direct flights from China?

Went to the Sunday Market by Tapai gate a few weeks ago, did not bother to walk around as got run over by a wave of Chinese entering the Soi.

Plenty Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai but most bars around Loi Krow and TapaI had hardly any customers falang or otherwise.

Weather was nice in evening.

IT has become a bit cooler in the mornings and evenings in Jomtien the last several days. However, last night driving from Jomtien to Pattaya was a nightmare. The roads were choked by at least 100 or more buses loaded with Chinese tourists. There were additional buses (at least 50 or more) just parked on the side of the roads with their engines running blowing exhaust into the already smoggy air.

I was waiting at the traffic lights at Pattaya Tai / 2nd road waiting to turn right onto Pattaya Tai and in a minute and a half period, no fewer than EIGHT tourist buses came up from Beach Road and turned right towards Jomtien. In the remaining minute and a half I was stopped, a further two tourist buses turned towards Jomtien whilst 3 continued up Pattaya Tai. (Yes, I WAS stopped at the red light for 4 minutes, confirmed by my car camera!). So plenty tourists around though not necessarily the local businesses want to see. Also, the condo swimming pool is much busier in the afternoon than it was just a few weeks ago.

I don't know about elsewhere in the country, but it is hotter than usual for the time of year in Jomtien.

Alan

Milatary rule,deaths on islands, bashings at bars, early closing, tourists do sometimes check out destinations

and it all adds up to other options. Sri lanka is the latest hot spot and easy to see why with a bit of research.

Threads like this always brings out the wackos, so thanks for reinforcing that. Casual observation indicates the same number of tourists in Chiang Mai as usual....if not more. Forecast expects much, much more. There is definitely no shortage of tourists in Chiang Mai, unfortunately.

Why is the OP asking the question? Are you wanting even more tourists?

"Casual observation indicates the same number of tourists in Chiang Mai as usual....if not more."

Are you referring to more chinese tourists (excluding tour groups) or more westerners?

What part of the city or which mall are you doing this "casual observation" in?

I haven't met any Thai or Farang bar-owners, coffee shop owners, tuk-tuk drivers, or Night Market trinket/cloth/"stuff made in China" owners who agree with your opinion (of course they don't make casual observations)

Perhaps these owners need to be more casual and eat less?

Getting back to the OP. North of C/Rai still too warm for the time of year but the nights are lovely. As for tourists , I did see one in the Friday night market last week but he might of gone in the other bar in town that is still open. My question is , where have all the locals gone? Last year 4 bars open ,now only one I think as the tables were piled up in my usual one as I came past yesterday. Night time no cars ,bikes or folk drinking. I was told by a Thai lady that has a successful coffee stall that people are just not happy so they stay in.

Too much happiness shoved down the throat can certainly make one gag and feel a touch unhappy!

Intimidation, flagrant favouritism, deceit and unfulfilled promises tend to cause that as well.

The world is "looking-in" with skepticism and the locals are beginning to express it.

Edited by WaiLai

Getting back to the OP. North of C/Rai still too warm for the time of year but the nights are lovely. As for tourists , I did see one in the Friday night market last week but he might of gone in the other bar in town that is still open. My question is , where have all the locals gone? Last year 4 bars open ,now only one I think as the tables were piled up in my usual one as I came past yesterday. Night time no cars ,bikes or folk drinking. I was told by a Thai lady that has a successful coffee stall that people are just not happy so they stay in.

I truly admire this "Thai lady" in her choice of words ..."people are just not happy"

Perhaps an attitude adjustment performed far up the chain of command might be appropriate and lead to greater happiness on the streets?

"Casual observation indicates the same number of tourists in Chiang Mai as usual....if not more."

Are you referring to more chinese tourists (excluding tour groups) or more westerners?

I haven't met any Thai or Farang bar-owners, coffee shop owners, tuk-tuk drivers, or Night Market trinket/cloth/"stuff made in China" owners who agree with your opinion (of course they don't make casual observations)

Maybe you need to talk to some tour operators.

Numbers of tourists are up for sure.

People still think Thailand is more safe then Europe for a holiday with all the terrorism threats.

People still think Thailand is more safe then Europe for a holiday with all the terrorism threats.

Tour operators? Do you mean tour operators offering zip-lining, safari-selfie walks, "let's bathe an elephant" sort of thing? The kind of business that occurs outside the city? If tourism trade is up in those areas then I suppose we should see a reciprocal number of businesses flourishing once the attendees return from their day-outings! Sadly, it doesn't seem to be working that way!

If there is any credence to what you say then the local pharmacists will report an increase in condom sales. I'll ask around.

I truly hope that you are correct though. Fresh c*t is rare these days.

Edited by WaiLai

Tour operators? Do you mean tour operators offering zip-lining, safari-selfie walks, "let's bathe an elephant" sort of thing? The kind of business that occurs outside the city? If tourism trade is up in those areas then I suppose we should see a reciprocal number of businesses flourishing once the attendees return from their day-outings! Sadly, it doesn't seem to be working that way!

If there is any credence to what you say then the local pharmacists will report an increase in condom sales. I'll ask around.

Not everyone comes for the night life and easy girls, those people mostly come in the low season on low budget tickets.

So i would not expect an increase in condom sales yet.

Strange that you need to get your numbers from that.

There is always a little dip in the first week of December but be assured next week you will be complaining about the tourist again.

Really ! Just took a look at Booking.Com hotel website. Want a room for 7 nights from tomorrow

Chiang Mai 51% reserved

Paris 77% reserved

Berlin 77% reserved

London 78% reserved

Really ! Just took a look at Booking.Com hotel website. Want a room for 7 nights from tomorrow
Chiang Mai 51% reserved
Paris 77% reserved
Berlin 77% reserved
London 78% reserved

Booking.com - the place where you don't have to use anything but an ATM card?

Not everyone comes for the night life and easy girls, those people mostly come in the low season on low budget tickets.

So i would not expect an increase in condom sales yet.

Strange that you need to get your numbers from that.

There is always a little dip in the first week of December but be assured next week you will be complaining about the tourist again.

There hasn't been any nightlife here for 7 months and certainly not "easy" girls! Condom sales refers to a Bangkok post and worth following. There are 2 new games in town though! Chinese chicks and denial. I'll follow-up on the Chinese chicks later. They are definitely a "game changer".

Still more than a few tour busses out and about.....

We live off the canal road and lots of erractically driven silver minivans + songtows filled with backpacker types seen about every time I go on the road and we're active with two kids in the mix....

Since they've cut it through to Doi Lo it has become a very (too) busy thoroughfare....

Possibly moving a good share of folks differently from years past - as it was not available before....

I came into CNX on an international flight last week, same time as a flight from HK. Wow, it was one full Immigration hall!

However, after I'd collected my baggage, I noticed for the first time that there were mini-van drivers touting for customers and shouting out. About 8 of us were herded into a van and for 40Baht, dropped off at our hotels, condos etc.

A good service, helpful driver.

Chiang Mai 51% reserved
Paris 77% reserved
Berlin 77% reserved
London 78% reserved

There is always a dip in the first two weeks of December, as has already been pointed out.

Chiang Mai 51% reserved
Paris 77% reserved
Berlin 77% reserved
London 78% reserved

There is always a dip in the first two weeks of December, as has already been pointed out.

Nice to know that someone other than TAT has been monitoring the "dips" - the stickler though is found in the usage of the word "always"

Chiang Mai 51% reserved
Paris 77% reserved
Berlin 77% reserved
London 78% reserved

To be able to state " there is always a dip in the first two weeks of December" begs the answer to the question: "Who is this guy and who does he work for?" Such oz bumrubble!

Edited by WaiLai

Chiang Mai 51% reserved
Paris 77% reserved
Berlin 77% reserved
London 78% reserved

To be able to state " there is always a dip in the first two weeks of December" begs the answer to the question: "Who is this guy and who does he work for?" Such oz bumrubble!

Some of us are actually working here and some even in the tourist sector and have better things to do then posting the forum with nonsense all day.

If you can not be constructive then better not post and get a something else to do please.

If it were ever true less likely to be valid after today's news headlines !

Numbers might be up but revenue is generally not equally up. The huge number of Chinese patronise a limited range of places and do not contribute to the wider economy. A friend who operates a bar is actively excluding Chinese because 4 will come into the bar, share one Coke and watch the show. They simply block out seating for those who want to stay for a while and buy a few drinks. But of course we can't say things like this. Decades ago the Greeks and the Ozzie's learned that there are tourists and then there are revenue generating tourists. Until TAT and the junta stop being obsessed by gross numbers rather than revenue the tourism business will be an economic wasteland and a mirage of economic prosperity.

Numbers might be up but revenue is generally not equally up. The huge number of Chinese patronise a limited range of places and do not contribute to the wider economy. A friend who operates a bar is actively excluding Chinese because 4 will come into the bar, share one Coke and watch the show. They simply block out seating for those who want to stay for a while and buy a few drinks. But of course we can't say things like this. Decades ago the Greeks and the Ozzie's learned that there are tourists and then there are revenue generating tourists. Until TAT and the junta stop being obsessed by gross numbers rather than revenue the tourism business will be an economic wasteland and a mirage of economic prosperity.

Not likely, they have been raving about their big rice production for decades as the yields declined.

Dante we agree. As we all know there are lies, damb lies and statistics. And the dolts who are employed in government departments are past masters in selective interpretation of statistics. The sad thing is that the populace simply absorb whatever cr*p is put out by spokespeople. An uncritical audience is an opiate of the ruling clique.

Chiang Mai 51% reserved
Paris 77% reserved
Berlin 77% reserved
London 78% reserved

To answer your question, I have been running businesses in Chiang Mai for 26 years and merely speak from personal experience. Whether anyone believes me or not doesn't concern me, so make of it what you like and call it what you like.

I wouldnt worry too much CMJ (And I dont think you do as most of us dont take too much notice of what WL has to say on the matter...or any matter in that point)

It would appear that WL antagonises just to get a response and yes I have been caught out on occassion.

Good to hear your input based on experience.