New Ford Everest SUV catches fire during a test drive

Litlos

Anyone with a new Everest?

Have a look at the full story http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/new-ford-everest-suv-catches-fire-during-a-test-drive-destroyed-by-the-blaze/news-story/86b4c77b9a90026c85be3b7b875a04cd

Particularly interesting is the bits about hard to extinguish the flames and shrapnel going 50m.

Cheers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Hard to extinguish the flames and shrapnel going 50m" is not unusual for vehicle fires. Any significant vehicle fire can be nasty. Best response is to get the hell away.

The interesting bit will be the cause. I hope Ford publicize the investigation results.

Wow, that's a shock - as Jitar says, hope the investigation results are transparent.

Just as I hope the investigation of this Fortuner crash is transparent:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=776959312436380&id=221317851322226&refid=52&__tn__=%2As

Warning: graphic video

None of the airbags deployed and according to some follow up posts, the driver didn't make it. RIP.

Wow, that's a shock - as Jitar says, hope the investigation results are transparent.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=776959312436380&id=221317851322226&refid=52&__tn__=%2As

None of the airbags deployed and according to some follow up posts, the driver didn't make it. RIP.

Clunk clip

Knowing Toyota for a long time now, the results will never be completely transparent.

Back in 2007, I was on the team in Japan to translate internal email communication between TMC and TMS' engineering departments and top management regarding the pedal issue investigation.

Translations were necessary for the lawyers back in the US to make their case.

All I can say is (still under contract, so have to keep what I know secret), they are never going to be transparent.

Looks like a terrific opportunity for IHMO & JAS21 to use their clay bar & Meguiars products. It'll look like a new pin in no time at all. thumbsup.gif

No ... I think that could reasonably come under the heading of 'Beyond Economical Repair'.

However to Fords good fortune if there is a recall ... there's not many of them ... well not in Thailand anyway

Isnt the Drivers Airbag deployed only when Seatbelts locked. Non the less, very sad end to a life.

I have never heard of a car that would disable airbags if you're not wearing a seatbelt. Some cars have a switch to disable the front passenger airbag, in the case you're using a baby seat there though.

What odds would it be that the vehicle that a motoring reporter takes out for a test drive and the vehicle bursts into flames. I am not saying it didn't happen but i am very suspicious . Are there any other cases of this Ford Everest bursting into Flames ?, especially now that December is traditionally the month a lot of new cars are sold at last years models. it is going to hurt Ford and other companies will benefit. News.com.au did a hatchet job a few months ago on Jeep , now perhaps it will be Ford Everest 's turn.

Just very cynical !

What odds would it be that the vehicle that a motoring reporter takes out for a test drive and the vehicle bursts into flames. I am not saying it didn't happen but i am very suspicious . Are there any other cases of this Ford Everest bursting into Flames ?, especially now that December is traditionally the month a lot of new cars are sold at last years models. it is going to hurt Ford and other companies will benefit. News.com.au did a hatchet job a few months ago on Jeep , now perhaps it will be Ford Everest 's turn.

Just very cynical !

The journo in question was at the Aussie Pajero Sport press launch event today, but left early before any of my colleagues could speak to him (and before the launch itself finished). Our guys were mindful to get to the driver's seat before him though biggrin.png

In answer to your question, over 120,000 T6 Rangers/EV's have now been produced, and this is the first incident reported of it's kind, according to Ford AU.

Oh dear!

I ordered the 2.2 version last month and Ford called me yesterday to say that delivery will be next week!

Only paid the 10k deposit so far. Reading this news certainly did not get me excited about accepting delivery!!

Don't worry ...see what Mr IMOH said above ...you will love it. And it looks so upmarket inside.

Just be careful the first time you accererate out of a left road junction ...the steering wheel doesn't self center like you expect it to and you could end up on the pavement!

Just very cynical !

Let's wait for Ford AU to come back with an official statement. As for now, the incident did happen, that's a fact.

Oh dear!

I ordered the 2.2 version last month and Ford called me yesterday to say that delivery will be next week!

Only paid the 10k deposit so far. Reading this news certainly did not get me excited about accepting delivery!!

I think its only the 3.2s that autocombust. :)

Oh dear!

I think its only the 3.2s that autocombust. smile.png

You think or you hope?

Oh dear!

There could be a delivery delay as it may have to be re-painted.........laugh.png

And Re Badged to FIREBIRD.gigglem.gif

Oh dear!

There could be a delivery delay as it may have to be re-painted.........laugh.png

And Re Badged to FIREBIRD.gigglem.gif

Sales promotion.

Free BBQ with every Firebird.

Get em while they are hot!

Well they have the Fortuner in Aust now, saw one the other week in Perth, so will be interesting to see how they handle the Aust roads and journalists.

Cheers

Well they have the Fortuner in Aust now, saw one the other week in Perth, so will be interesting to see how they handle the Aust roads and journalists.

Cheers

There have already been several Fortuner reviews from Australia - and a few Everest vs Landcruiser Prado and/or Fortuner comparisons.

The Everest so far has won them all.

Cheers

There have already been several Fortuner reviews from Australia - and a few Everest vs Landcruiser Prado and/or Fortuner comparisons.

It did not do so well in this review though:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-ford-everest-review-first-drive-34742

Cheers

Cheers

They are flaming good rides......laugh.png

Yep, they're red hot.

Funny, that's the exact same website that just burnt the second one they drove....

And inbetween, posted this comparison that Toyota would have just loved (not): http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-ford-everest-toyota-fortuner-and-toyota-landcruiser-prado-review-36695

I just hope no one was hurt .

Another feather in th cap of the Ford haters , glad I have never bought a Ford .

Good old R.&D. being tested to the max .

Well I also stab a guess at Ford loyalty.

biggrin.png

I have had my Ford Ranger 4 door, 4x4, 2.5 turbo diesel 14 years tomorrow and apart from routine maintenance, batteries and tyres it had been well worth the money.

I have clocked over 330,xxx km during the time I have had it and it is now needing a bit deeper service and repair of odd bits.

Would I buy a new Ford Ranger.

Like a shot if I had the money to spare.

Archived