New Ford Everest SUV catches fire during a test drive

Litlos

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they discover that the vehicle was sabotaged, I wonder where that investigation would go? I can't imagine any diesel powered vehicle BURSTING into flames.

I don't need to imagine, I've seen a few diesel trucks, loaders and other heavy equipment go up in flames. A high pressure diesel or hydraulic oil leak near a hot turbo or exhaust is all that is needed.

If they discover that the vehicle was sabotaged, I wonder where that investigation would go? I can't imagine any diesel powered vehicle BURSTING into flames.

In that case, I'd say it'd go right to the police. I seriously doubt foul play though - it's a press car, so chances are it's seen some pretty rough driving, poking and prodding... Maybe a previous journo with the car didn't know how to measure 80cm for the wading depth? (hint: that's basically the height of an SUV tire). A production defect is also a prime candidate.

Cars spontaneously combust more regularly than you might think - they only reason this story got airtime is because it happened to a News Limited journo. I find it interesting that none of the other motoring publishers in Australia covered the story, nor did Carsguide themselves - the actual website the journo works for.

In that case, I'd say it'd go right to the police. I seriously doubt foul play though - it's a press car, so chances are it's seen some pretty rough driving, poking and prodding... Maybe a previous journo with the car didn't know how to measure 80cm for the wading depth? (hint: that's basically the height of an SUV tire). A production defect is also a prime candidate.

Cars spontaneously combust more regularly than you might think - they only reason this story got airtime is because it happened to a News Limited journo. I find it interesting that none of the other motoring publishers in Australia covered the story, nor did Carsguide themselves - the actual website the journo works for.

Try Google.com.au and enter "Ford Everest Fire" as a search term. It is getting interest from way more than just News.com.au. Though I know what you are saying about the impartiality of that particular "news" group.

There was a platform in Gulf of Thailand badly fire damaged when diesel sprayed onto the exhaust of an engine and ignited a few years ago. So yes a bit harder to get diesel alight than petrol, but once alight it burns really well.

Cheers

I just hope no one was hurt .

Another feather in th cap of the Ford haters , glad I have never bought a Ford .

Good old R.&D. being tested to the max .

Well I also stab a guess at Ford loyalty.

biggrin.png

Bet you're glad that you didn't buy a Ferrari, for example, either. A lot more of those have mysteriously burst into flames in the not too distant past than this one single Ford and, strangely, Ferrari doesn't get any stick at all. Couldn't be some kind of bizarre anti-Ford prejudice could it?

Try Google.com.au and enter "Ford Everest Fire" as a search term. It is getting interest from way more than just News.com.au. Though I know what you are saying about the impartiality of that particular "news" group.

There was a platform in Gulf of Thailand badly fire damaged when diesel sprayed onto the exhaust of an engine and ignited a few years ago. So yes a bit harder to get diesel alight than petrol, but once alight it burns really well.

Cheers

Yeo did that - just a bunch of news-rehashers and News Limited network republishing it. None of the big Aussie auto news/reviews publishers are running it. Not even the very website whose journo was on the scene.

You don't need diesel to make a car burn - plenty of rubber & plastics to fuel a blaze.

So we have News.com promoting an Everest fire and the competition at Fairfax, Drive.com heaping awards on Ford.

Got to be a good conspiracy theory in there somewhere.

I just hope no one was hurt .

Another feather in th cap of the Ford haters , glad I have never bought a Ford .

Good old R.&D. being tested to the max .

Well I also stab a guess at Ford loyalty.

biggrin.png

I have had my Ford Ranger 4 door, 4x4, 2.5 turbo diesel 14 years tomorrow and apart from routine maintenance, batteries and tyres it had been well worth the money.

I have clocked over 330,xxx km during the time I have had it and it is now needing a bit deeper service and repair of odd bits.

Would I buy a new Ford Ranger.

Like a shot if I had the money to spare.

But your ride ain't the new reincarnation chum....tongue.png

Don't worry TA, Toyota is still leading Ford with 2 Fires. coffee1.gif

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Totoyas-vehicle-recall-involves-206000-Fortuner-an-30231187.html

Toyota is recalling 6.4 million vehicles globally, including 206,000 Fortuner and Innova in Thailand, over five separate issues.

"Toyota said it was not aware of any vehicle crashes, injuries or fatalities caused by these conditions. However, it said it had received two reports of fires in connection with the engine starter problem."

This is getting more interesting, and if I am scoring correctly Ford may have leapt into the lead in the "Hot" car stakes in Aust:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/ford-ranger-ute-fires-emerge-days-after-ford-everest-test-drive-blaze/news-story/131ccce06754614f3e67d23e56eea75c

I think this story may have a bit more to run.

Cheers

Very odd it should flame-up that way. May hurt sales, but not much.

Having said that, if the engine, and more importantly the diesel itself overheated, when it burns, it is very aggressive. Looks like there has been a serious overheating problem with the diesel. Just a guess.

Having said that, if the engine, and more importantly the diesel itself overheated, when it burns, it is very aggressive. Looks like there has been a serious overheating problem with the diesel. Just a guess.

I've only seen the 3.2 involved with fires. How about the 2.2? I live surprises, but not if I got a 2.2 and it turned into a birthday cake at 100km/h laugh.png

...and they are selling like hotcakes!

Though I'm sure that ford covers self combustion under warrantee (if you can prove it and after lengthy investigation) in the meantime, providing you were not burned to death, you will need to rent or purchase another vehicle... thumbsup.gif

I've only seen the 3.2 involved with fires. How about the 2.2? I live surprises, but not if I got a 2.2 and it turned into a birthday cake at 100km/h laugh.png
I've only seen reports of a fire associated with ONE 3.2 engine ...can you tell me where you saw reports of fires on other 3.2s please

I've only seen reports of a fire associated with ONE 3.2 engine ...can you tell me where you saw reports of fires on other 3.2s please

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/ford-ranger-ute-fires-emerge-days-after-ford-everest-test-drive-blaze/news-story/131ccce06754614f3e67d23e56eea75c

Off to buy a fire extinguisher then...maybe two ...one for the driveway and one to keep in the car.

the 3.2 rangers that were linked to in a previous post. One was a black burned 3.2 ranger from Australia. I'm not sure if the link is in this thread or another one.

Off to buy a fire extinguisher then...maybe two ...one for the driveway and one to keep in the car.

That's probably not a bad idea. I think home mart/home pro have them. I'd also be checking under my engine bay after a good drive to check for any obvious leaks or components that should not be touching eachother. Then again, this seems to be a small issue out of all the thousands of fords sold. The last car I saw on fire was a honda jazz a few years ago.

Yeah this link:)

I notice Ford has told one of them to bugger off due to accessories fitted and the other is being assessed by the insurance company.

There was a fairly new Toyota Avanza on fire at the side of the HWY7 near the Chonburi off ramp in late Sept, looked like it started in the engine compartment. So one more for the Toyota tally.

All the reported fires involving Fords in this thread are from Australia, so who knows what is happening in Thailand.

Whilst Ford Aust is denying liability for one of the fires due to accessories, in Aust there is the burden of proof that also has to be satisfied before that becomes legally binding. I suspect if this keeps going the ambulance chasers (lawyers) will be talking class action. Then it will get interesting.

Personally I do not drive either a Ford or a Toyota. Previously had Toyota's in both Thailand and Aust and had very good service from them. Ford's I used to get as work vehicles and whilst they were nice to drive, had a tendency to fall apart and leak dust badly. So while I prefer Toyota and have had good service previously, I personally think the Fortuner is over priced, poorly designed and under specified, and they are trading on their good name. The biggest bug bear on the Fortuner is the rear seats occupying usable space and how the Fortuner always seems to lag behind say the Pajero Sport in specs. I am not really looking for a new vehicle at the moment and do not gave an axe to grind with Ford and are just posting these links for interest sake.

Cheers

This is getting more interesting, and if I am scoring correctly Ford may have leapt into the lead in the "Hot" car stakes in Aust:

I think this story may have a bit more to run.

Cheers

In the link the Black 4 door PU is the old Mazda based unit.

Meanwhile the new Flord advertising campaign "We Light Up Your Life" has been put on hold indefinitely! biggrin.png

I notice Ford has told one of them to bugger off due to accessories fitted and the other is being assessed by the insurance company.

Referring to insurance investigators first is the correct course of action. Most car fires aren't the result of a manufacturing defect - there's nearly always other circumstances involved. The job of an insurance investigator is to find a way not to pay - if they have evidence/suspicion of a manufacturing defect, there's no way they're not going after the manufacturer. However, usually they find evidence of incompetence, accidents or foul play.

Archived