New Ford Everest SUV catches fire during a test drive

Litlos

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I was a GM guy. My dear old dad (RIP) was a Ford man. I used to make fun of his Fords and his pat answer was the his Ford may rattle first but that it would rattle longer than GM or any other products.

Actually I was a GM guy. My dear old dad (RIP) was a Ford man. I used to make fun of his Fords and his pat answer was the his Ford may rattle first but that it would rattle longer than GM or any other products.

My dead old dad (also RIP, at 44 y.o) was a ford mechanic...we always had fords, never any real problems with them but my dad was always under the bonnet tinkering with it every weekend...mucking about tuning the carb and what not. The good old days when your average Joe could work on them. Today's cars are reliable but once something goes wrong with it - especially electrics, it needs to go the the garage as most of us don't have the tools to work on them.

which was designed and engineered in Australia but is built in Thailand

Thought the diesel engines were a British design and build..

Half right - the engines are a British design, but manufactured in South Arica.

Cause of the problem found?

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/ford-everest-fire-caused-by-loose-battery-connection-37276

I'm not really surprised it's a maintenance issue that caused this. I generally find the manufacturing process in Thailand to be pretty sound, but maintenance here for anything is a joke. They don't do anything to maintain anything and just let it break down. Then all you hear is som num na, you should have done this that and the other. Buy a condo, management fees go to take care of things like the pool and gym. They don't clean the pool filters, pump becomes blocked, algae forms and the whole thing needs to be overhauled. Likewise all the gym equipment has broken down within a couple of years.

Don't know how I feel about the guy being "retrained" as someone could have died from his incompetence/negligence.

Ford Australia still have to take some heat on this one - no manufacturer issues a media test car without a thorough pre-delivery inspection and clean.

The Journo should also be commended for his intuition and general mechanical knowledge too* - seeing as the car had exhibited electrical gremlins, increasing in severity, for 2 whole days prior to catching fire. Any normal person would have been sending the car straight back to the dealer on day 2, if not day 1.

* Sarcasm.

Ford Australia still have to take some heat on this one - no manufacturer issues a media test car without a thorough pre-delivery inspection and clean.

The Journo should also be commended for his intuition and general mechanical knowledge too* - seeing as the car had exhibited electrical gremlins, increasing in severity, for 2 whole days prior to catching fire. Any normal person would have been sending the car straight back to the dealer on day 2, if not day 1.

* Sarcasm.

Reading some of his past content, I agree, he is indeed commendable*.

* Sarcasm.

Reading some of his past content, I agree, he is indeed commendable*.

Hehehe.

Anyways, case closed.

The cause: 3 idiots: battery replacing tech, the pre-delivery inspector, and the end user.

In the case of the latter, if I was Ford it'd be his last press car - his inaction on day 2 cost them a car, and an immeasurable amount of loss of reputation.

Archived