Aussie claims he received electric shock from onsen at The Address Asoke condo

snoop1130

Aussie claims he received electric shock from onsen at The Address Asoke condo
By Coconuts Bangkok

burn_3.jpg

BANGKOK:--An Australian man claims he received an electric shock after getting stuck on a suction unit at the onsen pool at The Address Asoke condominium, which left a large rectangular-shaped burn on his back.

The 34-year-old man, whose identity is unknown, said he was badly burned after getting stuck on a skimmer, a suction unit used to filter debris from water in pools and hot tubs, for 20 minutes, while his 5-year-old daughter watched in horror. When no condo employee came to help him and his daughter jumped in to help, he had to use the last reserves of his energy to pull himself away from the skimmer, according to his Thai wife "Mali" who shared her husband's photos on Facebook yesterday.

"The onsen was on the 44th floor, and the condo employees had to wait for the elevator for a really long time. Our 5-year-old daughter yelled out for help. She jumped in after her father started to feel exhausted because he had been shocked for almost 20 minutes. My husband said he almost didn't make it but tried to free himself after our daughter jumped in. He was afraid she would be in danger too," Mali wrote, in a Facebook post that has gone viral.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/04/aussie-claims-he-received-electric-shock-onsen-address-asoke-condo

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-04

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a sentō, not an onsen. An onsen uses water from geothermal hot springs while a sentō uses heated tap water and as there are no thermal hot springs on Asoke road or in BKK then it can't be a onsen!

Back to the story.

The company blame the Aussies as:
they where guests to a tenant and not tenants?!

the size of the skimmer is "only" 20x25 cm?!

they found a beer bottle?!

So my questions to The Address Asoke:

If I would buy a condo in your building I can't have guests visiting me? Because a guest of a tenant should be able to use the facilities to right?!

If they where not allowed to use the sentō then how could they enter the building and get to the 44th floor? If I would own a condo in that building then I would seriously questioning the operations manager how people that as he said has no right to be there got in to the building, to the 44th floor and in the pool!

Have you ever heard of bruising? The skimmer is 20x25 cm, you can see the outlines of it in the picture of the back of the man, the bruising is just bigger than the inlet.

Can the security team prove that the beer bottle belonged to the Aussie? There are many tenants in that building and anyone could have left the beer bottle behind!

How the hell could it take over 20 minutes for the condo employees to get to the 44th floor? Did they have to use the stairs?! If you have a pool area then it's your responsibility to have personnel/lifeguards that can assist people in case of an accident/emergency!

if there was that much electricity in the water to cause burns like that why was his daughter not zapped as well ?

Not burns, it's just a giant bruise from the suction. Luckily his daughter did not get near the skimmer as it's apparently 20x25 cm so a child could theoretically actually get sucked right in to it!

Tourist Badly Injured in Luxury Condo ‘On Sen’

14492310911449231236l.jpg

Yahir Ben Weitzel, at right, in a photo said to be at the rooftop 'on sen' of the The Address Asoke posted Friday to Facebook. Weitzel family / Facebook

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee

Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — An Australian man on vacation in Bangkok with his family was seriously injured in a luxury condominium's rooftop on sen, his family complained online yesterday.

In a since-deleted account posted online by the man’s Thai wife, her 34-year-old husband, Yahir Ben Weitzel, entered the on sen at The Address Asoke with his young daughter, sat back and became stuck by suction on an intake for nearly 20 minutes, causing serious contusions.

Their account included a series of photographs documenting the incident. The condominium disputes the story.

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-05

It sounds to me like the guy may have been in shock, rather than actually electrically shocked.

Looks like there is a good 10-15 metres of pool area there, what was he doing in that maingy sectioned off area anyway?

Did he think it was a spa?

And he clearly has the 20X25 marks on both sides of his back.

And what sinister role did the beer bottle play in all this?

Anyway, they brought the story to the right place, with all the beer bottle sleuth detectives on thaivisa.

"And he clearly has the 20X25 marks on both sides of his back."

Perhaps he was so pi$$ed he decided to go for symetrical burns/bruising?

One beer? That would explain a loss of capacity right?

I used to live here and used that pool and "sento" every weekend. So it's lucky I didn't put my back against that filter...feel sorry for that guy. I can vouch that there is no-one to easily contact on that floor, it's very quiet (rooftop, no rooms) so the girl would have likely had to go down to ground floor to get help.

Poor design. The Address needs to accept responsibility and in turn sue the manufacturer if need be. Very dangerous.

This is the same condo where a security guard got into a girl's room then went on the run, and a Russian girl jumped from 28th floor (which happened to be my old room).

I call BULL.

The video shows a single duct about the size of the markings on the back of each of his shoulders. The video also shows that there are small metal bars on each side of the duct, not doubt there for the exact purpose of preventing people from being able to put their back against the vent.

He claims in the video he was stuck there "for...........anywhere between......... 7 and 20 minutes".

Note that he has identical marks on both shoulders. It would be absolutely impossible for him to have been stuck to that single vent and only have 3/4s of a seal indent on each shoulder. That alone indicates that there was no seal otherwise the indent marks would form a complete rectangle. That single duct is nowhere near large enough to cover his whole back and even if it was, the large gap between his back muscles would have prevented a seal.

The only way I could see this happening is if he wedged himself into that duct somewhat sideways so that one shoulder blade was jammed against the duct and then later on switched around and jammed the other shoulder blade in there. That would explain why the indent marks are incomplete.

Makes me wonder to when I see "The Facebook post, Pantip forum thread and a YouTube clip related to the story were found to have been deleted today." Maybe someone else called his bluff and threatened legal action ?

I also call bull on his concern over his daughter's safety while he was stuck. He was trying to suggest (in the video) that she was in danger because if something had happened while he was "stuck" he wouldn't have been able to help her. Then why didn't he just tell her to get out of the pool ?

Must have left his common sense at home. If he had any to begin with.....I wonder how many times he stuck a fork into an electrical socket as a kid.........Thailand is a country you use at your own risk.

With suction like that he was lucky he was not standing up facing towards the unit, could have been very nasty.

Why would you climb into the small sectioned off area and lean up against it when you have the rest of the pool available.