can you fly in, get visa exempt, without onward ticket?

I'm in Hanoi, i think i may fly back into Bangkok. Question is, are the immigration OK with me flying in without any visa or onward plane ticket whatsoever? i have never had any problem entering Thailand overland like that before.

or more likely, are the airline going to let me board the flight with out a visa or return ticket? thats more of a concern, i am pretty sure immigration would allow me entry but wouldnt want to be denied getting on board

i'm from UK by the way. and i dont have loads of back to back Thia visas or stamps or anything like that

I have done this many times. I have never been refused boarding, though my impression is that the airlines are becoming more strict. The check in may well raise objections. The supervisor will probably let you travel if you look affluent. If they seem inclined to refuse you, state that you are sure there will be no problem and offer to sign their indemnity form (all airlines have them). This guarantees to reimburse the airline for any costs they incur should you be refused entry.

There is a risk. If of a nervous disposition, have an onward ticket or visa.

• Like 2

The problem as you mention is at check-in for the flight.

I have on occasion been asked for a return or on-going ticket and then I have to explain that I live in Thailand and that I have the correct visa.

I have seen people refused boarding.

They only need to see an itinerary.. if you don't want to buy a ticket then get creative.

The problem as you mention is at check-in for the flight.

I have on occasion been asked for a return or on-going ticket and then I have to explain that I live in Thailand and that I have the correct visa.

I have seen people refused boarding.

They only need to see an itinerary.. if you don't want to buy a ticket then get creative.

" I have to explain that I live in Thailand and that I have the correct visa."

The question raised was regarding entry without a visa. If you have a visa, re-entry permit, extension of stay, it shouldn't require any explanation. Just show it when you check in.

Many people "live in" Thailand using visa exempt entries, which is part of the problem.

I got grilled by Etihad recently flying Manchester to Bkk with no onward travel booked. Just stay polite and friendly and tell them clearly what your itinerary is (eg. intend to get tourist visa from Laos after 2 weeks). They may ask a supervisor to double check.

More details here: http://bangkok112.com/etihad-airways-flight-review/

BritTim's advice about indemnity forms is good to know for the future.

Airasia flights can be booked for around 1000 baht and written off as a last resort.

I'd also make sure you arrive at the airport early to checkin just in case.

FWIW, when I flew in on China Southern from Los Angeles to Chiang Mai in November 2015, the CS ticket counter girl was alarmed I had no onward ticket. Some discussion in Chinese followed while I waited patiently. It took a supervisor to notice that I indeed had a visa.

I definitely had the impression that they would not have boarded me without either having a visa or an onward ticket.

BTW thanks to the above posters for two very cool ideas, the Krabi/Penang ticket and the indemnity form.

• Like 1

As mentioned somewhere above, it is one issue, whether airline refuse to transport you, but theactual question was more about the immigration staff at the Thai arrival port.

Per forma you get a "visa exepmtion" aka transit visa only if you can provide proof of an onward travel. That's the regulation. How strict that is enforced propably depends on the officer at airport immigration.

Meanwhile you have to show a return flight even if you are returning to Thailand as your home country (as shown in your passport as city of residence). So even abroad you have to show your ticket to obtain a visa.

Recently flew in one way from Korea on a 30 day exemption.

I did have an outward flight (just incase), but wasn't asked for it at check in, or at immigration.

But the big issue is that it depends on your airline, and immi officer - people have been refused boarding.

Its easy to buy a fully flexible fare = free cancellation, just to be sure

As mentioned somewhere above, it is one issue, whether airline refuse to transport you, but theactual question was more about the immigration staff at the Thai arrival port. Per forma you get a "visa exepmtion" aka transit visa only if you can provide proof of an onward travel. That's the regulation. How strict that is enforced propably depends on the officer at airport immigration. Meanwhile you have to show a return flight even if you are returning to Thailand as your home country (as shown in your passport as city of residence). So even abroad you have to show your ticket to obtain a visa.

A "visa exempt entry" is NOT a "Transit Visa" which can only be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

Not all Thai Embassies/Consulates demand tickets be shown to obtain a visa.

A visa exempt entry can be extended by a further 30 days at any immigration office.

• Like 1

I have done this many times. I have never been refused boarding, though my impression is that the airlines are becoming more strict. The check in may well raise objections. The supervisor will probably let you travel if you look affluent. If they seem inclined to refuse you, state that you are sure there will be no problem and offer to sign their indemnity form (all airlines have them). This guarantees to reimburse the airline for any costs they incur should you be refused entry.

There is a risk. If of a nervous disposition, have an onward ticket or visa.

I think you hit the nail on the head with "look affluent".

If you are well dressed and look the part it's normally OK.

4 years ago, I entered Thailand for the first time with no money other than credit and bank cards.

I did have a return flight but it was for 6 months ahead.

I was given a 30 day waiver, no problems and I was not asked where I was stopping or if I had any funds or onward ticket.

I'm also a Brit but aged 70 at that time.

As it happened, I then got a 90 day non imm O visa which I later extended by retirement.

Fot that visa and extension I did need to show proofof funds but I had learned the rules a bit by then.

Best of luck

I was stopped in the queue at Immigration at swampy by the lady who checks your arrival card and directs you to a counter. I hadn't written an outbound flight number and she refused to let me pass untill I'd written one in. It was a genuine number, i had just forgotten to write it on, but it wasn't checked.

I've been thru since 3 times with no outward bound flight and not been questioned.