Reporting a scaming website

ezzra

How do you report a scamming website that purport to sell vintage scooters in Had Yai but in realty

is nothing but a scam front operated by African sounding people who uses fake passports and

fake Thai ID cards to be used to send a deposit to?

It's a long story, but to cut it short, It happened very recently to family member who thought he's

putting a deposit on a vintage

scooter using Thai ID card he was given to make a deposit transfer to the ' seller '

upon flying to HY to inspect the scoot, of course, there was no scoot and no work shop,

all a scam, police has been notified, but he's not hoping to big results there,

Can the website be put on TVF to warn people of the scam?

Edited by ezzra

Whilst I sympathize with you and your family member, publishing the website on ThaiVisa could be construed as defamation.

We do not allow name and shame posts on the Forum.

From the Forum Rules:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

was given to make a deposit transfer to the ' seller '

How was this transfer handled? Deposit to a Thai bank account?

Please don't tell me Western Union to Nigeria or sending cash in envelope -> forget it.

Formally there is no other way than reporting to police report this fraud with all availble details.

I know that the chances are minimal.

Where is the website registered?

http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox/smart-whois.php

Ukraine, Russia, Nigeria or .... name it and -> forget it.

You can PM me the website, always interested to learn.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Well, scammers are always greedy.

Why not get another family member or friend to 'put the word' out that he is looking to buy a vintage scooter. Then reel in the scammers on your terms and have the police waiting, (or a large guy with a baseball bat...)

Maybe you should get into scambaiting....

http://www.419eater.com/

Get some trophy pics with them wearing watermelon helmets and holding funny signs

http://www.419eater.com/

This is the best course of action. Hundreds of online websites that deal with the whistle blowing and publishing of scammer activities and scam websites.

I would never pay a deposit or purchase anything online unless it was from a reputable well established company before viewing and trying out whatever I was buying. I rarely feel sorry for people that fool fall for these scams.

was given to make a deposit transfer to the ' seller '

How was this transfer handled? Deposit to a Thai bank account?

Please don't tell me Western Union to Nigeria or sending cash in envelope -> forget it.

Formally there is no other way than reporting to police report this fraud with all availble details.

I know that the chances are minimal.

Where is the website registered?

http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox/smart-whois.php

Ukraine, Russia, Nigeria or .... name it and -> forget it.

You can PM me the website, always interested to learn.

It was a Thai bank to a Thai bank transfer, the website claim to have an showroom/workshop

in Had Yai, UK and the US, all bogus address and phone number accept for a Thai mobile number

where an African sounding guy is trying to scam you even further in order to ' help you recover the loss '

I have no idea where the website is registered,

Well, scammers are always greedy.

Why not get another family member or friend to 'put the word' out that he is looking to buy a vintage scooter. Then reel in the scammers on your terms and have the police waiting, (or a large guy with a baseball bat...)

Yes, that idea was floating around, but than again the loss is 30K, not the end of the world really,

the self beating and shame feeling is worse than lose it self...

I got the address from the topic starter.

Strong indication that this is a scam.

I don't want to list all the points here.

Finally the strongest indicator: identical pictures on a website claiming to be a shop in Vietnam, also "founded in 2001".

Site layout looks identical at first sight, just some text replaced (like a template).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Very good of these people to warn potential customers with this advice from their website...

"Warning - read before buying from the Internet... Look out (be wary of) ads that are written in pigeon or poor English"

Do they mean pidgin English?

An example of their own poor English again.."The Vespas we restorre are...".

Here's another...Dismatling and prepare for restoration

For a Thailand operation why are all their prices in USD. Very odd considering that all the work is done in Thailand, on Thailand-sourced scooters, using parts imported from Italy.

Why do many of the scooters they offer for sale have the same registration numbers and, if the scooters are from Thailand why are the registrations not Thai?

Edited by Alration

Once saw a bike that my friend was interested in....same deal.

Sent email to the "seller" asking for green book, copy of id and address.....said I would come down and look at it. Guess what...never heard back!

Simple steps to keep your cash.

Update...

The Thonglor police has put a phone call to the Thai woman who owns the account to which the deposit

was remitted to and told her se better pay back or she'll be in deep shit,

1 hour later, the money was back in the account where it was sent from.

so kudos to the BIB for bringing the case to a quick end..... lesson learned...