Realistic chances of obtaining Thai citizenship?

Yes, yes. I can imagine what type of replies will follow and the topic has obviously been beaten to death. But anyway, I would like to get some up to date opinions. I am married to Thai citizen, two kids, Visa, language, etc ok. How about salary? Because some sources say 30K is enough. Other sources say 40K. I earn only around 36K on average. Does anybody think it helps to employ a lawyer?

Cheers guys.

P.S. I kept it short in order not to annoy our Admin. thumbsup.gif

If married to a Thai the salary requirement is 40k baht. See here for more info: Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

There is also this existing long topic about getting citizenship: dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application

Thanks ubonjoe. That's a good link. Looks like I only have an issue with salary. Do you know by any chance if it is precisely 40K per month salary, or can it be an average over the whole year? I.e. some months I earn more, some months less...

• Like 1

Just got this one from dbrenn's thread, which probably puts it quite well:

Golden rules are:

1) Be patient and never get upset. The people that handle your
application do not make the rules and do not have any power over what
happens in the Interior Ministry

2) Get a coach. Not an expensive lawyer - just make friends with one
of the officials that handles your application

• Like 2

When you apply for citizenship you present your annual Thai tax returns for the past 3 years for proof of you income. The gross amount of income for the year would be used to give you a average monthly income.

Thanks. I was just a bit confused because of this part of the sentence in point 3.2:

or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 50,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization.

But there was something I didn't know:

"17. Affidavit from applicant’s embassy or consulate in Thailand that demonstrates the applicant’s intention to renounce his current nationality when his application for Thai nationality is approved."

So Thailand doesn't accept dual citizenship?? That could be a bit of a breaker though... ohmy.png

"17. Affidavit from applicant’s embassy or consulate in Thailand that demonstrates the applicant’s intention to renounce his current nationality when his application for Thai nationality is approved."

So Thailand doesn't accept dual citizenship?? That could be a bit of a breaker though... ohmy.png

The affidavit is just a statement of intent !

Such a statement does not indicate a willingness to comply !

• Like 2

When you apply for citizenship you present your annual Thai tax returns for the past 3 years for proof of you income. The gross amount of income for the year would be used to give you a average monthly income.

Thanks. I was just a bit confused because of this part of the sentence in point 3.2:

or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 50,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization.

Their are two parts to that or statement. You provide either of the two.

"should have an income of not less than 40,000 baht a month supported by a letter of confirmation of monthly salary/income and must show evidence that they have paid tax for not less than 3 years; or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 50,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization"

That is an affidavit stating your intent. It is not binding. Thailand does accept dual nationalities.

Am I right in thinking that one has to show prof that one has relinquished you former citizenship before obtaining Thai citizenship? And if so why would anyone wish to do this as it would create many problems when you want to travel abroad?

No!

You are mistaken !

• Like 2

There's a conflicting info about applying for citizenship married to a thai, is it 3 years in marriage or 5 years that a person gets eligible to apply?

If married to a Thai it is 3 years. If not you must have permanent residency for 5 years.

Although you are only earning 36K a month, you may want to check how much you are actually paying tax on, it is quite common for Foreigners to pay tax on a salary of 50K however be earning lessthumbsup.gif As for a lawyer....very few have any experience and will charge a considerable amount for what you can do yourself as above, if at all possible endear yourself at application.

Is it mandatory to be married in order to get Thai nationality?

Would it be enough if you can prove you have enough money to help a Thai girl to get a decent education?

You don't have to be married to a Thai or have a Thai child. But you have to apply for and obtain permanent residency before you can apply.

For the other question the answer is no.

Have you actually applied for citizenship? Does it mean all income or only salary income?

Edited by Time Traveller

If married to a Thai the salary requirement is 40k baht. See here for more info: Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

There is also this existing long topic about getting citizenship: dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application

what if you have business and earn good amount money , will you eligible for citizenship ?

• Like 1

Have you actually applied for citizenship? Does include all income or only salary income only?

I cannot apply because I am not working here.

The guidelines state salary/income (quoted in post #9).

you will never become a Thai citizen, you can get residence certificate at a very high price, but become a real thai citizen? forget it. having said that why in the world would you want to? have you reviewed the politics of thailand? have you seen the number of coups?

• Like 1

Maybe this is known to all, but just in case I would like to mention, before you can become a Thai citizen among the things already mentioned (very good information, thanks) I understand that you must be a resident for a number of years first.

That means not only do you have to stay in Thailand , but you need to have a residency permit, which cost more than 200,000 baht all costs involved, non refundable and takes a number of years to obtain as well. There is a quota system each year based on nationality.

• Like 1

Maybe this is known to all, but just in case I would like to mention, before you can become a Thai citizen among the things already mentioned (very good information, thanks) I understand that you must be a resident for a number of years first.

That means not only do you have to stay in Thailand , but you need to have a residency permit, which cost more than 200,000 baht all costs involved, non refundable and takes a number of years to obtain as well. There is a quota system each year based on nationality.

Your post is not totally correct.

If you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child you do not have to get permanent residency before a applying for citizenship.

You don't pay for a residence certificate until your application is approved. Only the 7600 baht fee for the application is lost if not approved.

Which quota?

Which quota?

Only for permanent residency is there a quota of 100 persons per year for each country.

Do you have to work in Thailand to get citizenship? I'm here on a retirement visa, have plenty of income from my home country and a Thai wife and daughter.

Do you have a "visa" or an extension of stay based on retirement ?

Anyhow as a retiree you are ineligible to apply for Thai citizenship.

What happens if say a guy comes from the UK (or maybe any Western country) when he is around 60 years old, he works and pays tax on the required salary.

He then reaches sixty five and decides to retire and now has permanent residency, is he left in peace to see out his retirement, the same as someone who

was born in Thailand, or does he still have hoops to go through?

you will never become a Thai citizen, you can get residence certificate at a very high price, but become a real thai citizen? forget it. having said that why in the world would you want to? have you reviewed the politics of thailand? have you seen the number of coups?

^^ Nonsense, from someone who has done it.

There are no disadvantages to holding Thai citizenship. It makes life here easier in so many ways.

• Like 1