FBI arrest key Silk Road 'adviser' in Thailand

webfact

FBI arrest key Silk Road 'adviser' in Thailand

WASHINGTON: -- A man alleged to have helped run the notorious Silk Road drug marketplace has been arrested in Thailand.

Canadian Roger Thomas Clark is said to have been a key adviser for Silk Road creator Ross Ulbricht.

The US Department of Justice alleged that Mr Clark advised Ulbricht about the best way to run the site and how to evade the police.

The Silk Road website was shut down in late 2013 following raids by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35025976

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-12-08

I thought the FBI were domestic, how can they have jurisdiction in Thailand?

The FBI jurisdiction are the federal and all over the world, and every US embassy has an

in house FBI representative/agent/s .....

Agents of the FBI''s International Division are know as Legal Liaison when stationed overseas, they have no jurisdiction or constabulary powers and do everything by liasing with local law enforcement.

On foreign soil FBI agents generally do not have authority to make arrests except in certain cases where, with the consent of the host country, congress has granted the FBI extraterritorial jurisdiction. In other words no they can't but yes they can.

Edited by sloopysman

Another example of quality reporting from the BBC.

Silk road was a market place for anything, but because it was not constrained, a lot of drugs appeared on there along with many other things.

If they want to incarcerate Ulbricht and any associates, why not do the same with USPS executives and other groups that facilitated the exchange of illicit substances?

Oh, I forgot, The FED money is never used for anything illegal.

As often happens, the Thai news had a problem in the translation of the headline on this story. However, if you read the full story you will see he was arrested by Thai police and is being held by the Thai authorities awaiting extradition to the U.S.

As often happens, the Thai news had a problem in the translation of the headline on this story. However, if you read the full story you will see he was arrested by Thai police and is being held by the Thai authorities awaiting extradition to the U.S.

Problem, that's being very polite....

I heard of the 'silk road' via an article in the guardian and had A quick look,., i was shocked, not by drugs that were available but by the HUGE range of weapons and services it seemed to make easily available. Truly shocking, i was so disturbed and, may sound a touch ridiculous, but i was so actually scared by it, i couldn't go back for a second look even though my inquisitive self sort of wanted to. My point really is the media should highlight that truly shocking side of the site which imo totally warranted shutting down and warranted the owners seemingly draconian jail sentence rather than than highlight the relatively harmless drug side of it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit