UPDATE: 10 DEADS! Three killed after consuming toxic dog-meat in Cambodia

geovalin

At least three people were killed and 31 others hospitalised in Cambodia's Kratie province after consuming toxic dog-meat, authorities said on Monday.

"An old man, his daughter-in-law and their neighbour died on Sunday morning, hours after they ate a dog-meat delicacy that had turned toxic," a police official of Snuol district, where the incident took place, told Xinhua news agency.

He said 31 other villagers fell ill after they attended the funeral of the three victims and consumed the remaining contaminated dog meat delicacy.

"They did not know that the trio died after eating the contaminated dog meat, so they also ate the meat and subsequently fell ill hours later," he said.

The victims had the symptoms of fatigue, dizziness and nausea, he said, adding that as of Monday evening, one of them was still in critical condition.

Samples of the toxic dog meat were sent to the provincial food safety bureau for further examination, he added.

source: http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/three-killed-after-consuming-toxic-dog-meat-in-cambodia-115120700787_1.html

Death toll from toxic dog meat dish in Cambodia rises to 5

PHNOM PENH, Dec. 8 (Xinhua) -- Two more Cambodian villagers died after consuming a toxic dog meat delicacy in eastern Kratie province, bringing the number of the dead to five, a local official confirmed on Tuesday.
"Two more men were pronounced dead at the provincial referral hospital Monday night, bringing the death toll from eating poisoned dog meat dish to five," Kong Kimny, governor of Snuol district, where the incident took place, told Xinhua.
A 76-year-old man, his daughter-in-law and their female neighbor died Sunday morning, hours after they ate the toxic dog meat delicacy, said Kimny, adding that the old man bought the contaminated carcass from the market to cook for food.
A total of 36 other villagers fell ill after they attended the funeral of the three deceased and ate the leftover dog meat delicacy.
"They did not know that the trio died of eating the contaminated dog meat, so they also ate the meat and subsequently fell ill hours later," he said.
"As of Tuesday morning, all, but eight, of the sick people have recovered and left the hospital."
The victims had the symptoms of fatigue, dizziness, and nausea.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-12/08/c_134896089.htm

Have your ever noticed the number of stray dogs and cats wondering around Cambodia? Me neither...

Just like not too many cats near Chinese restaurants in Canada I've heard, but chicken fried rice isn't one of my favourites anyway.

39 people eat 1 dog?

5 dies.

Same dog served on the funeral of initial 3 people.

Puzzling.

Not really, What's more puzzling is what I think I heard about a guy feeding a bunch of people with a loaf of bread and a bottle of wine or something, but then whoever it was might have just drank it himself before I did and was putting me on about it.

My heart goes out for those who died and their families. But it certainly is odd that no-one among all those villagers acted cautiously concerning the three people mysteriously dying together. Eating very perishable food from the house where those deceased people had died or at least socialized beforehand would be one thing to avoid doing, I’d have thought.

Easy for me to say retrospectively, but it’s still odd behaviour. Perhaps, out of ignorance, they didn’t know how toxic contaminated food can be, so they couldn’t connect the dots to the three deaths.

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — Cambodian health officials have been dispatched to a rural northeastern district where 10 people died and more than 100 fell ill in two separate incidents linked to the consumption of dog meat and rice wine.

Kratie provincial health department chief Chhneang Sivutha said Friday that experts from the U.N.’s World Health Organization were also investigating the incidents, both in Snuol district. He also said that people in the province have been warned not to eat the meat of animals that have died from illness or poisoning, and not to drink any type of wine that has not been properly inspected.

Six people died last Sunday after eating the barbequed carcass of a dog that had died for unknown reasons. The other four died after drinking rice wine on Tuesday.

source: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/12/10-cambodians-dead-after-dog-meat-feast-drinking-wine/