71,000 Thais employed abroad in 2015

webfact

71,000 Thais employed abroad in 2015

t.jpg

BANGKOK, 8 December 2015 (NNT) – 71,000 Thai nationals found work in foreign countries during the 2015 fiscal year with the top destination country being Taiwan, says Department of Employment Director-General Arrug Phrommanee.

Between October 2014 and September 2015, Taiwan hired to 28,820 Thai workers, followed by Japan at 6,415, Israel at 5,709, South Korea at 4,992, and the UAE at 4,152.

He has said that the list of countries which now host the most Thai employees overall was again Taiwan with 59,220 persons, followed by South Korea at 24,228, Israel at 23,479, Singapore at 20,000, and the UAE at 14,000. Most employees work in metal production, agriculture, textile manufacturing, and electronic part manufacturing fields.

The Department of Employment Director-General has added it will work with the private sector to further extend the market abroad to more Thais, and discuss with employment agencies to find a solution to reduce the service fees that employees must pay.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-08 footer_n.gif

Versus 2.3 million from the Philippines who work overseas, says something about the Thai economy.

The average Filipino speaks English which makes them easily employable away from home, they're even here teaching English, after a fashion.

What types of work do the Thais do in Taiwan? Fishing? Manufacturing plants such as Nike, Adidas,? Computer chip factories? Domestic help such as maids? Massage places? I have never toured Taiwan, just dozens of trips through the airport

Most Thai girls (isan) work in horizontal jobs overseas. They tell their friends and family theyre working as a seamstress or waitress or traditional massage.

In Japan they have mens clubs which have a Thai girl under each table with a cloth. Do i need to tell you what happens next.? lol....Ive been there !

There wouldnt be many brothels in Japan,Taiwan Korea, Australia,Middle East ,Western Europe, Bulgaria,Romania that dont have atleast one or 2 Thai hookers.

Thailand and the Filippines have been exporting hookers for decades.

The men work in orchards and on cargo ships particularly Filipinos.

I know a Thai woman who is working 'massage' in Syria of all places Syria? She sends alot of money back to her husband every month. He just bought another taxi.

This is Thailand.

What types of work do the Thais do in Taiwan? Fishing? Manufacturing plants such as Nike, Adidas,? Computer chip factories? Domestic help such as maids? Massage places? I have never toured Taiwan, just dozens of trips through the airport

Electronics. There use to be a huge number of Thai workers in Taiwan. Then it all went to China.

Most Thai girls (isan) work in horizontal jobs overseas. They tell their friends and family theyre working as a seamstress or waitress or traditional massage.

In Japan they have mens clubs which have a Thai girl under each table with a cloth. Do i need to tell you what happens next.? lol....Ive been there !

There wouldnt be many brothels in Japan,Taiwan Korea, Australia,Middle East ,Western Europe, Bulgaria,Romania that dont have atleast one or 2 Thai hookers.

I know a Thai woman who is working 'massage' in Syria of all places Syria? She sends alot of money back to her husband every month. He just bought another taxi.

This is Thailand.

This is too much of a generalization and assumption of sterotypes. Lots of Thai females working in Thai restaurants all round the world, especially in UK and Europe, there's over 3,000 Thai restaurants in the UK alone and over 40,000 Thai's residents there. Loads of Thai's working maritime and electrical engineering in the ME, ditto farm workers and seasonal farm labour (male and female) in Scandinavia - Thai females working in hotels all round the globe, ditto in IT/Systems. Sure there's Thai's working in the oldest profession in many countries but that's not the only type of employment and it's almost certainly not the largest sector.

Versus 2.3 million from the Philippines who work overseas, says something about the Thai economy.

The average Filipino speaks English which makes them easily employable away from home, they're even here teaching English, after a fashion.

Thailand claims to have almost zero unemployment. Compared to the Philippines, Thailand has a manufacturing industry with overseas companies investment. It has a large tourism industry and a major international airport.

The Philippines is a basket case as far as infrastructure goes. The Japanese built most of the transport infrastructure there 20-30 years ago.

Without the crutch of 2.3 million overseas Philippino workers sending remittances home from overseas to prop up the economy, the government there would have to make an effort.

This is Thailand.

This is too much of a generalization and assumption of sterotypes. Lots of Thai females working in Thai restaurants all round the world, especially in UK and Europe, there's over 3,000 Thai restaurants in the UK alone and over 40,000 Thai's residents there. Loads of Thai's working maritime and electrical engineering in the ME, ditto farm workers and seasonal farm labour (male and female) in Scandinavia - Thai females working in hotels all round the globe, ditto in IT/Systems. Sure there's Thai's working in the oldest profession in many countries but that's not the only type of employment and it's almost certainly not the largest sector.

6,500 Thai restaurants in the U.S. and 237,000 Thai residents in 2010 according to the Thai Assoc of LA.

These seems really low. Since they are talking about paying service fees i assume these are only those that found jobs through whatever govt agency is exploiting them.

Almost everyone who signs an overseas contract is better off than they would be at home, whatever service fees they are paying.

This is Thailand.

6,500 Thai restaurants in the U.S. and 237,000 Thai residents in 2010 according to the Thai Assoc of LA.

That's 36 staff per restaurant !!

I don't believe it :)

Thailand claims to have almost zero unemployment. Compared to the Philippines, Thailand has a manufacturing industry with overseas companies investment. It has a large tourism industry and a major international airport.

The Philippines is a basket case as far as infrastructure goes. The Japanese built most of the transport infrastructure there 20-30 years ago.

Without the crutch of 2.3 million overseas Philippino workers sending remittances home from overseas to prop up the economy, the government there would have to make an effort.

I remember the newly installed People Power President Corazon Aquino visiting Hong Kong and being enthusiastically received by Filipinas working as domestic helpers. One of the local English language newspapers pointed out that ' on paper ' anyway the salary of a domestic helper was higher than that of her president ! coffee1.gif

I also suspect the Filipinos are a bit more reliable too.

I agree, the Philippines is a disaster in terms of attracting foreign investment, even allowing entrepreneurship of it's own citizens seems to be mired in so much constant red tape it seems like they are discouraging it.

On the unemployment numbers for Thailand! Well, I think this number is just that, a number. How do they come to that number? is it the number of people eligible for, and claiming social security? What percentage of the population are actually eligible?

If you go out to the provinces you can see plenty of working age people lounging around all day, because they work in the rice fields for 6 weeks a year does this count as being employed?

There are more questions than answers on this issue I think.

Hope they're not taking jobs from locals, we know how Thais don't like that ! giggle.gif

No hope whatsoever. A few years ago, the last time I tried working in my home Western country; I was placed on standby from part-time hours with other local nationals, because the Thai workers had to be employed full-time.goof.gif Furthermore, I was experieced in the field.

So I came back to Thailand to continue teaching English to Thais so they can go to countries like mine (and take away jobs from the locals). I’m not joking; this actually happens.