Take Motorbike into Laos.

NoshowJones

Original Green Book (Essential)

Copies of Green Book (This may well speed up the process)

Passport (Essential)

Copies of Passport.

Allow 2 hours for the whole process and you won't be disappointed.

You are aware motorbikes cannot enter Laos (or can only enter with difficulty and cost) at Chiang Khorng, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan, aren't you? The other crossings should be ok. I am not 100% sure about Nong Khai though. Plenty of info on the net.

Passport (Essential)

Copies of Passport.

You are aware motorbikes cannot enter Laos (or can only enter with difficulty and cost) at Chiang Khorng, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan, aren't you? The other crossings should be ok. I am not 100% sure about Nong Khai though. Plenty of info on the net.

No I wasn't aware of that, I wanted to cross at Mukdahan. So it looks like I will have to give it a miss, what difficulty and cost?

Passport (Essential)

Copies of Passport.

No I wasn't aware of that, I wanted to cross at Mukdahan. So it looks like I will have to give it a miss, what difficulty and cost?
Mukdahan is my nearest crossing and I have heard mixed stories about only being able to exit there. Would be good to hear recent experience.

Passport (Essential)

Copies of Passport.

Mukdahan is my nearest crossing and I have heard mixed stories about only being able to exit there. Would be good to hear recent experience.

Thanks Dilligad, maybe some kind poster will come and give us their experience on this.

You can probably EXIT Laos at Mukdahan but cannot ENTER Laos at Mukdahan on a motorbike. This is due to a longstanding Laos govt. policy following some mischief by Thai bikers and collusion from Thai immigration staff.

The fees I quoted are legal fees and not bribes. You need to pay a temporary customs exit fee for Thailand, a temporary import fee for Laos and a fortnight's Laos insurance.

It is very straightforward to take a bike into Laos at Loei, Nan and Ubon. Again not sure about Nong Khai. Beung Kan is a ferry and I think there may not be visas on arrival so you may need a Laos visa in advance.

All up, the extra fees for the bike add up to around 500 to 1000 Baht. I cannot recall the precise details.

Nah .. It wasn't as much as 1000 ( I'm trying to really think now )

200b paid to Thai immigration.

Then another 20b to Lao police to write your details in a book.

35$ for Lao visa

Then more money 200-300b for Lao customs

Then 150b for insurance.

Nothing underhand apart from the 20b to the police guy to copy your name and reg into a book before immigration / visa application.

No fees to pay on exit ..

Someone else mentioned photocopies ..

Copy everything, passport / greenbook / I think they also took the copy of my English translation as it was there .. Multiple times otherwise you will be wandering about looking for a photocopy machine.

Everyone was pretty cool and helpful when I crossed down in Pakse / Chong Mek .. especially Thai immigration.

About 2 hours but once you are on the customs database reports say it's quicker the next time.

Don't be put off by the cost .. If I want to go to Malaysia everything is free, but I pay 700b for a months insurance.

It's well worth having your own transport in Laos.

If you are doing a bit of a ride why not enter at Nong Kai or somewhere else and exit at Mukdahan, give you a bit of a run?

We are heading off to Nong Kai tomorrow for a weeks riding, so if not too late, may be able to update you upon our return, will ask about Mukdahan too. MrsB speaks Laos, so hopefully she will ask for me.

If you are doing a bit of a ride why not enter at Nong Kai or somewhere else and exit at Mukdahan, give you a bit of a run?

We are heading off to Nong Kai tomorrow for a weeks riding, so if not too late, may be able to update you upon our return, will ask about Mukdahan too. MrsB speaks Laos, so hopefully she will ask for me.

No, I am riding to Mukdahan then crossing into Savannakhet for my non O visa, I have done it before, but took the bus

in to Laos.

As a previous poster said, you cannot ride back into Thailand at that border crossing, so it will just have to be the bus.

No, I am riding to Mukdahan then crossing into Savannakhet for my non O visa, I have done it before, but took the bus

in to Laos.

As a previous poster said, you cannot ride back into Thailand at that border crossing, so it will just have to be the bus.

Sorry to be so pedantic but I believe riding back into Thailand isn't a problem at Savannakhet, it's the leaving Thailand into Laos that's a no no.

in to Laos.

Sorry to be so pedantic but I believe riding back into Thailand isn't a problem at Savannakhet, it's the leaving Thailand into Laos that's a no no.

Yes, there seems to be too much hassle involved, after all this is Thailand, it is not in their genes to make anything easy for Westerners.

Passport (Essential)

Copies of Passport.

I was told by Thai immigration the Nakhon Phanom was ok as the crossing is by ferry.

Also, Tha Li. It has a bridge but a very short one.

possum

Sorry you have decided not to do it. Of course, it depends where you are coming from, i.e. starting point of journey. I think you have misread a couple of points as Dilligad has correctly pointed out. Entering Laos from Mukdahan is what is not allowed. Exiting Laos from Savannakhet is very possible.

Also the restrictions come from the Laos side not the Thai side. It was a punitive action when a group of Thai motorcyclists fled from the Laos police, did not legally exit Laos but just drove out and yet were allowed to re-enter Thailand by Thai immigration. Laos were not happy about this and this restriction on motorbikes has been the result.

Gonsalviz

I would be very surprised if the info you received immigration allowing motorbikes to enter Laos from Nakhon Phanom is correct. I would take that with a large pinch of salt. Thai govt officials often talk out of their arse giving out incorrect info.

Here is the bridge at Nakorn Phanom that opened in 2011.

Nakhon Phanom.docx

Tha Li, Loei is ok because it is not a bridge over the Mekhong. Don't look for reasons. I don't think there are any. I will find out if I am wrong as I am crossing at Tha Li next week (-ish).

We went out today to get copies of everything and also get the green book changed (long story) and while we were there the woman gave us an English translation of the green book, cost 40baht. She said this was necessary for the crossing and a lot cheaper than getting it done in Laos.

The was some talk about bikes under 150cc not being allowed in, so if they refuse us we will leave the bike, cross and hire a bike in Vientiane.

hire a bike in Vientiane.

I hope you have better luck finding a decent one that I did last year. Took a fino - best condition bike I could source. I think Noah had it on the Ark. And I had to leave my passport. Rode it one day, returned it, got my passport back, and taxi from then on. Good Luck

We went out today to get copies of everything and also get the green book changed (long story) and while we were there the woman gave us an English translation of the green book, cost 40baht. She said this was necessary for the crossing and a lot cheaper than getting it done in Laos.

The was some talk about bikes under 150cc not being allowed in, so if they refuse us we will leave the bike, cross and hire a bike in Vientiane.

Are you sure your ready for this ?

You can't enter Laos over the bridge from Mukdahan, but you can exit .. It ain't those damn Thai's as you suggest.

Yeah, I had the translation anyway as a requirement for Malaysia - I had copies of it and they were taken by the Thai or Laos customs, but I don't think it's mandatory .. But the translation is good to have, lasts for a year.

If you do get to Savannakhet and want to rent a bigger bike there is a shop that has dirt bikes, I noticed it as I was leaving the other month. There's a one-way system around by the stadium that joins on rt.13 ( south ) .. Have a search around that area.

Edited by recom273

We went out today to get copies of everything ..

Ahh sorry it's possum thats a little confused.

Alan, maybe Nong Khai > vientiene is better for your travel plans, but if they won't let you across on your scoot ..

You could try picking up a bike in thakhek .. There's a place in the fountain square there .. I think he has bikes like CB100's or Wins or similar as well as scooters. I saw you kids riding them on the thakhek loop.

I also wrote a piece about a hotel in thakek, maybe worth a read, relax for a day there, before heading north.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/860439-A-different-visa-run-to-Savannakhet

Have you thought of entering from Chong Mek ? - if you don't get the bike across first thing in the morning, you could get to pakse and hire a bike and still make it to savannakhet by the late afternoon.

In the morning, throw your passport in and then head off to thakhek and have a tour round, recharge and a good dinner there, it's a nice town.

Then you are heading to Phonsavan right ? Use the 1a which is a brand new bit of Tarmac that runs parallel to the VN border - there's some good sections across the national park, and the final climb to Phonsavan is a bit rough, but managable

Then wherever your heading after that ..

If your interested Moto-Rex wrote some good pieces on GT-R about the 1A.

Safe travels ..

Edited by recom273

• 2 months later...

I am looking at crossing at Nong Khai (Friendship Bridge 1) on motorcycle at the end of this month. I have got all my paperwork etc.

I am assuming that this is going to be ok?

Large signs on this bridge, prohibiting motorcycle and pedestrian traffic, were noticed by papa last time thru, Dec28.

Feelin' lucky?

I am looking at crossing at Nong Khai (Friendship Bridge 1) on motorcycle at the end of this month. I have got all my paperwork etc.

I am assuming that this is going to be ok?

Be sure your bike is over 150cc and that you have all the papers mentioned and you should be fine.

Have a safe trip and try to avoid the road north out of Vientiane unless you have a dirt bike, it is as bumpy as hell for about 200km. Pot holes abound on that mother, but the road going east is good.

Bonne Voyage....you will.

Oh and don't do anything wrong in Vientiane, the cops fleeced us for 3100 baht for a minor offence and didn't hear their call to stop.

Thanks for the replies. If I am unable to cross at Friendship Bridge 1, which would be my next best bet to try?

Yes myNot bikes a 650cc, Kawasaki Versys with offroad rubber on it. I am planning on heading up to Vang Vieng for a couple of days while I wait for my Visa to be processed. How long is the ride from Vientenne to Vang Vieng?

Went Laos during Songkran last year.

40ºC and smokey.

papa in Pakse now.

Smokey.

Hola Papa,

Have you ridden down south? Can you suggest any 2 day trips say starting from Surat Thanni to the Phuket area.... actually don't want to ride to Phuket..

Gracias

Pop pee

papa @Tha Konglor now.

up in the mountains a bit so great temperatures

and just a little smoke.

7km boat ride thru the mountain,

oh yea.

Popular destination for Lao, Thai, and farang.

Three M/C groups here.

6 antique Chinese military CPAs with sidecars.

Funky opposed twins, from Vientiane.

3 BKK guys on Yam and Suz tourers and a Ducati Scrambler.

First D Scrambler I've seen that was filthy.

Looked good.

Also a group of about 7 young Laos guys on Z250==> ERn==> liter bikes.

papa ride alone on the Lifan200 dualsport.

pretty damn fantastic here boys.