Poster of the Year Nominations -- Start Nominating

Fabricus

From what I can remember about last years vote was that as members voted some nominations were knocked out until there were only the three finalists left, and some members felt that their vote didn't count and voted again. Maybe once we have a list we leave them all up until the end?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I'm asked to run this it will be the structure I discussed. Period. No endless debates about every detail. You want to run it? Great!

As far as I can tell nobody has volunteered. I have volunteered only if nobody else will do it and my conditions are allowed.

Edited by Jingthing

From what I can remember about last years vote was that as members voted some nominations were knocked out until there were only the three finalists left, and some members felt that their vote didn't count and voted again. Maybe once we have a list we leave them all up until the end?

I like that idea. Allows for a late surge from an outlying candidate. Keeps things exciting rather than the protracted battle between the least interesting candidates.

It would seem yearning for POTY honors is a form of self-flagellation or some variation of home trepanning.

And to assume the position of Poll Lord potentially involves repeated sessions of verbal Reverse Cowboy or Inverted Eastwoody. But I maybe wrong.

Edited by animatic

IMPORTANT PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

As the OP of this thread I wish to intervene.

Late last night -- in a ground-breaking initiative -- I relinquished control of this thread and handed it over to Mr JT. I assumed he had what was required to steer it to a satisfying conclusion.

Alas, it is clear now that Mr JT (formerly known as The Poll Lord) has failed to live up to my expectations.

I hereby publicly deselect Mr JT as CEO of POTY 2015. As Donald Trump might say:

JT -- you're fired!

----------------------

Here is how we'll proceed:

1. There will be no silly twaddle along the lines of: "the moderati haven't approved me as Poll Lord".

2. We will assume control. We will not seek external validation.

3. Notice the word WE.

4. The word WE refers to a Select Committee who will eventually whittle nominees down to the 20 most interesting and flamboyant candidates.

5. The Select Committee will be comprised of forum members who, in my opinion, represent ThaiVisa's aristocracy.

6. The Select Committee's decision will be final.

7. Candidates for the Select Committee include (but are not limited to):

7.1 Mr SIPI -- because everyone likes him.

7.2. Mr VillageFarang -- because he has a beautiful house and has been here since the dinosaurs.

7.3 Mr CRAB -- because he likes movies.

8. Twenty (20) nominees will be selected.

9. There will be no phase 2 or phase 3.

10. Keeping all twenty (20) candidates in the poll will encourage a blend of tactical and/or strategic voting.

----------------------

Mr JT -- I ask you to bow out with style, grace and dignity. As Darth Vader said in the second Star Wars movie:

You have failed me for the last time

----------------------

For the time being, please keep nominating.

Sometime around December 18-20 (assuming I've not been banned by then) the Select Committee and I will pick the twenty (20) best candidates.

After that, voting will begin.

I hope this is clear.

Names first. No use putting the cart before the horse.

Then the bloodshed begins on a voting thread.

I guess whoever is silly enough to open that thread can look after it, just like any other thread.

Mr JT -- on behalf of the Select Committee, ThaiVisa's aristocracy and the moderati, I gratefully accept your resignation and wish you well with future endeavors.

Happy Festivus, and may The Force be with you.

----------------

A POLITE REMINDER TO ALL FRIENDS OF THE POTY CONTEST 2015

Mr JT -- formerly known as The Poll Lord -- is no longer involved with this important contest.

I was never the Poll Lord. It's all in your mind.

You never had the authority to hire me or fire me.

I haven't resigned from anything. You can't resign from something IMAGINARY.

(BTW, can anyone else detect the two (or more) MASSIVE flaws in the Fabricus plan? My plan avoided both of them, but he is embracing them BIG TIME. Doesn't even seem to know it. Impressive naivete.)

post-37101-0-13033400-1449687066_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

What could be so difficult about letting members vote for their member of the year? Get nominations, vote. We don't need all the subjective stuff.

Names?

Agreed, but forum software allows polls to have no more than 20 options.

This is why some sort of "pruning" may be needed if we end up with more than 20 nominees.

===

My vision -- which senior forum experts are now referring to as FABRICOLOGY -- embraces sympathetic and highly skilled pruning by the forum's aristocracy.

Trust me: this year's POTY contest will be the fairest, most transparent and least controversial in ThaiVisa's history.

Trust me: this year's POTY contest will be the fairest, most transparent and least controversial in ThaiVisa's history.

I can see a need for the forum to have sensible people like yourself in charge of the Polls.

Myself, I was hoping for controversy, implosion, entertainment, skulduggery, bickering, tit-for-tat and long running residual resentment and animosity to come from POTY.

I can see a need for the forum to have sensible people like yourself in charge of the Polls.

Myself, I was hoping for controversy, implosion, entertainment, skulduggery, bickering, tit-for-tat and long running residual resentment and animosity to come from POTY.

It's early yet. Don't judge a Bookman by it's cover.

I was never the Poll Lord. It's all in your mind.

You never had the authority to hire me or fire me.

I haven't resigned from anything. You can't resign from something IMAGINARY.

(BTW, can anyone else detect the two (or more) MASSIVE flaws in the Fabricus plan? My plan avoided both of them, but he is embracing them BIG TIME. Doesn't even seem to know it. Impressive naivete.)

attachicon.gifpotyfun.jpg

That's not one of mine

Mr JT -- on behalf of the Select Committee, ThaiVisa's aristocracy and the moderati, I gratefully accept your resignation and wish you well with future endeavors.
Happy Festivus, and may The Force be with you.
----------------
A POLITE REMINDER TO ALL FRIENDS OF THE POTY CONTEST 2015
Mr JT -- formerly known as The Poll Lord -- is no longer involved with this important contest.

I thought he was a volunteer sideline sniper - beware the offside trap!

Well there may be retroactive rules depending on how things go. I would do no self nominations. There are already two official rules. No mods and no banned members.

There is still no designated poll Lord.

I guess instead of listening to you about rules it should be clearly stated what the rules are.

Nah ,just play it by ear ,much more fun that waybiggrin.png

I think it's better that the rules are kept secret, otherwise people will try and push them, bend and twist them.

I don't see how people can refuse a nomination. If I say someone is my favorite poster of the year, how can they tell me they aren't? It is not like they are accepting any sort of office. There are no obligations.

It is like being asked to stand before a firing squad. Blindfold or no blindfold?

I don't see how people can refuse a nomination. If I say someone is my favorite poster of the year, how can they tell me they aren't? It is not like they are accepting any sort of office. There are no obligations.

It is like being asked to stand before a firing squad. Blindfold or no blindfold?

Nah, more like stepping up to the front line. We want to see our heroes in action.

I won't get involved at that level unless I am asked to have that authority by the management, as I previously detailed.

So unless and until that happens, do whatever you want.

We're all just members here. Nobody is in charge.

asked to have that authority?

my god man we do take ourselves seriously around here dont we?

i hear Christmas can be a lonely time.

Nah, more like stepping up to the front line. We want to see our heroes in action.

clap2.gif

That is funny. Closer to the truth than many realize.

The mortality rate is high.

I will be surprised if we get 20 that actually accept the battle challenge.

Blindfold. I reckon you've got a fighting chance if the firing squad wear blindfolds.

Actually, that's a pretty good idea. To preserve anonymity, we should have a secret ballot, and just give the candidates numbers, instead of publishing their names.