New passport has cost me 3 months extension, is this normal?

In August I applied for my 3rd marriage yearly extension at immigration, as it was due up in September.

My old passport expires in June 2016, so, instead of getting the full 12 months, they only gave me 9 months, obviously because my passport would have run out before I would be able to complete 12 months.

Immigration told my wife that when I got my new passport, they would transfer the marriage extension into my new passport, and give me the full 12 months, which would take me up to September next year.

Today, my wife takes in my new passport to immigration to have the 12 months extension transferred into it..

A different immigration officer told her it wasn't possible to give me 12 months (which would have taken me to September 2016),, Apparently "they have stopped doing that" was the reason...

So... I've only got a 9 month extension in my new passport after being told I would get the full 12 months.

It was the boss of the immigration that told my wife they would give me the full 12 months, but she's away somewhere and they, apparently, don't know when she's back.

Has anyone else got any experience with this? Is this immigration officer right?

Since August of 2013 they will only grant an extension to the date you passport expires. Then you have to apply for a new extension when the shortened extension ends.

You were given incorrect info by the first immigration officer.

• Like 2

Appears to be a communication problem ..........

"Immigration told my wife that when I got my new passport, they would transfer the marriage extension into my new passport, and give me the full 12 months, which would take me up to September next year."

Since August of 2013 they will only grant an extension to the date you passport expires. Then you have to apply for a new extension when the shortened extension ends.

Thanks for the information Joe.

whistling.gif That became the policy back in 2013....when you were on an extension and tried to renew that extension the policy became only to give the new extension until the date of the old passport's expiration.....not a whole 12 months.

My U.S. passport would have expired in October 2015.... which was the same time my retirement extension was due.

That was one of the reasons I got a new U.S. passport in June 2015.

My new U.S passport is now good until June 2025.... so no problems there.

Thanks for the information Joe.

I did not know I was a lucky man as I went to Chiangmai Immigration on 31 JULY 2013 and got my 4 remaining months added.

Now I just learned that it was the last day it was possible ,,,lucky indeed !

It's the luck of the draw.

I'm very lucky. My extensions are due every 25th July.

My current passport expires 7th August 2023.

In July 2022 I'll get a full 12 month extension until July 2023.

I'll replace my passport before July 2023, without loosing any validity of my passport either.

I'm a UK citizen and they will transfer 9 months validity of an expiring passport onto a new passport.

On my 90 day reporting I was told to renew my passport. This I did and it was returned to me in April this year. My Visa extension was due in June and there were no problems having had the Transfer stamps inserted, at a cost of 200Baht