Four killed and one injured in a car race accident in Thailand

webfact

I wonder if the Deputy Govt Spokesman, Maj. General Werachon Sukond-hapatipak (the gentleman who got his knickers in a twist over the UK Ambassador making an observation on the double standards on assembly) has any comments to make over the antics of the two imbeciles racing one another on the public highway placing innocent lives in danger. Or is this a case of its ok to criticise a foreign governments representative but on no account is he allowed to criticise fellow Thais that help make Thailand the hub of road deaths involving moronic mini bus drivers.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always checking my rear view mirrors for these morons, and for the other morons, too.

nothing new here, these idiots have been doing this for many years with impunity! the only good thing to come out of this is the idiot will not get a chance to kill anyone again!

With the technology we have, wonder why the government can't install a speed limiter or require these privately own vans but have a public license to install one at their cost if they were to get an operating license.

This was discussed

and was supposed to be a, law some years back,

supposed to happen - but this is Thailand, all too difficult. The saving grace the gene pool has been reduced a little from idiots.

And Thailand is NOT serious about addressing the issue of traffic safety. I am not sure I have ever been in a country that is less serious about traffic safety. The so called police do not engage in traffic safety. I just spent 10 hours on the road yesterday, driving over 700 km, and not once did I see a highway patrol car, except at one of those ridiculous traffic stops, where who knows what is accomplished, if anything. One thing I do know for sure. Those stops are NOT about traffic safety.

Not once did I see anyone pulled over for drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, going 50kph in the fast lane, cutting other cars off when entering onto a highway at slow speed, etc, etc. Not once. How do you label yourself as a serious nation, when you do not take the safety of your citizens seriously? How do you label yourself the Royal Thai Police, if you are not willing to do real police work?

This carnage will continue, and eventually Thailand will overtake Libya, to take over the number one spot as the most traffic fatalities in the world, per capita. Number one. Currently number two. Not a proud accomplishment. Congratulations to the current administration for doing NOTHING about this enormous problem. Congratulations for doing nothing to reform the police, nor protect the people.

But don't worry, there are a couple of experts who always pop--up in these threads who have all the answers to the horrendous road deaths and stupidity of Thai drivers. They can explain to you how to sort it out in 5 minutes if they were given the opportunity.

I think the solution is to pay the drivers by the day instead of on a commission basis.

Nothing will be done about it obviously.

Rip to the innocent victims

It isn't about pay/money it is all about mindset and the mentality of these drivers.

Untrained, uncaring bunch of morons.

I think you are being very unkind to morons. They don't have the brains to be morons.

May the innocents rest in peace. This is outrageous driver behavior and it is just another example of the selfish arrogant and stupid driving behaviors we see all over Thailand, everyday. A possible outcome of getting killed in these incidents just doesn't seem to worry Thais. Why is that ? Are they just morons of low I.Q. or is it something to do with primitive beliefs ? The myth of "Thainess" raises it's ugly head once again.

Jingle jingle, a law suit must be in the making. I would sue the crap out of any parent company who employed these drivers, but is there one ?

And Thailand is NOT serious about addressing the issue of traffic safety. I am not sure I have ever been in a country that is less serious about traffic safety. The so called police do not engage in traffic safety. I just spent 10 hours on the road yesterday, driving over 700 km, and not once did I see a highway patrol car, except at one of those ridiculous traffic stops, where who knows what is accomplished, if anything. One thing I do know for sure. Those stops are NOT about traffic safety.

Not once did I see anyone pulled over for drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, going 50kph in the fast lane, cutting other cars off when entering onto a highway at slow speed, etc, etc. Not once. How do you label yourself as a serious nation, when you do not take the safety of your citizens seriously? How do you label yourself the Royal Thai Police, if you are not willing to do real police work?

This carnage will continue, and eventually Thailand will overtake Libya, to take over the number one spot as the most traffic fatalities in the world, per capita. Number one. Currently number two. Not a proud accomplishment. Congratulations to the current administration for doing NOTHING about this enormous problem. Congratulations for doing nothing to reform the police, nor protect the people.

But don't worry, there are a couple of experts who always pop--up in these threads who have all the answers to the horrendous road deaths and stupidity of Thai drivers. They can explain to you how to sort it out in 5 minutes if they were given the opportunity.

Plus you will find that they don't live here, nor possibly ever been here. Or maybe on a 5 day stop-over. You can pick them out a mile, they usually give themselves away, trying to apply logic that may work elsewhere but certainly not here. Would-be's-if-they-could-be's.

Plus you will find that they don't live here, nor possibly ever been here. Or maybe on a 5 day stop-over. You can pick them out a mile, they usually give themselves away, trying to apply logic that may work elsewhere but certainly not here. Would-be's-if-they-could-be's.

I live here, and I care deeply about the road carnage I see around me. There are no simple solutions, and another empty proclamation by this administration, is not only useless, but downright counter productive. However, devoting a few trillion baht to re-building the RTP from the ground up, might be one answer. I know that is a tall order. But, sooner or later Thailand is going to have to deal with the extraordinary lack of law and order in this country. The fact that the crime rate is relatively low, despite the lack of a deterrent is a testament to the Thai people. But, they can at least start with traffic safety, as this is an issue that really haunts the country, and causes a massive toll on its people, and the economy. How about forming an entirely new branch of law enforcement, that is paid well, and therefore does not have to rely on handouts to survive? They would be the equivalent of the highway patrol. Not be under the jurisdiction of the RCD (revenue collection dept, disguised as the RTP). They would be responsible for drunk driving tests, administering reckless driving violations, speeding tickets, etc. Three violations in two years, and your vehicle is confiscated and sold at auction, and you lose your license for two years. If caught driving with no license or a suspended license, a mandatory three year prison sentence.

I know some of this may sound heavy handed. But, without a deterrent in place, how do you teach a nation to behave? How do you teach consideration of other drivers, and respect?

I always 'protest' to the driver before getting in the van or taxis. I tell them to drive safely. If they do not, i make them go to the side of the road and i talk to them even more. I never go with a GROUP OF PEOPLE.

With the technology we have, wonder why the government can't install a speed limiter or require these privately own vans but have a public license to install one at their cost if they were to get an operating license.

This was discussed

and was supposed to be a, law some years back,

supposed to happen - but this is Thailand, all too difficult. The saving grace the gene pool has been reduced a little from idiots.

I remember what they had was a gps box, this was suppose to track where each van is and see if its speeding. Nobody every monitors the gps, it was a waste of money for nothing. A speed limiter which is locked, kind of like how taxi meter boxes are will be more beneficial.

A few years back, wasn't there a news story that vans will be fined over 2000 Baht or something like that for speeding over 90?

That obviously needs to be enforced tho.

It wasn't even a few years back it was much more recent. Why don't they fix a speed control unit to every mini bus. then it might be safer to travel in one.

I took a minibus from K'buri, ONCE. It was more convenient than the big bus terminating at the Southern Bus Terminal.

Never again. The drivers are lunatics, not just the one driving my bus, but all the others, passing, speeding, swerving.

Easy decision for me, not as fast on the big bus, not as convenient, but WAY safer.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I took a minibus from K'buri, ONCE. It was more convenient than the big bus terminating at the Southern Bus Terminal.

Never again. The drivers are lunatics, not just the one driving my bus, but all the others, passing, speeding, swerving.

Easy decision for me, not as fast on the big bus, not as convenient, but WAY safer.

It's by customer request.

Even here at TVF the major concern with visa run buses is just how quick they are so you can swiftly be returned to the comfort zone of pattaya.

Security issues I have never heard about in a visa run thread.

Price and time.

Period.

You would think the passengers would protest and stop this behavior. Or at least video it and put it online!

My idea exactly, when I still used mini-vans or tour buses I did protest, heavily, if the driver did not behave well and if he did not listen I would step out.

Now I drive a truck myself for my work, all over Thailand and see almost on a daily basis a heavy accident of which one out of two cases a public transport vehicle is involved.

You would think the passengers would protest and stop this behavior. Or at least video it and put it online!

I once tried to get the driver to slow down as he was racing another car, he got angry and speeded up even faster. All the other thai passenger was terrified but afraid to complain.

I told the driver to stop the van at the first bus stop witch he did and I waited for a bus instead. Of course he was insulting and swearing to me when I got off.

Years ago the most dangerous drivers on the roads used to be the green buses of Bangkok. That dubious honour is now filled by these suicidal maniacs who show utter disregard for the fare paying public and anyone else on the road. I keep well out of their way.

I live here, and I care deeply about the road carnage I see around me. There are no simple solutions, and another empty proclamation by this administration, is not only useless, but downright counter productive. However, devoting a few trillion baht to re-building the RTP from the ground up, might be one answer. I know that is a tall order. But, sooner or later Thailand is going to have to deal with the extraordinary lack of law and order in this country. The fact that the crime rate is relatively low, despite the lack of a deterrent is a testament to the Thai people. But, they can at least start with traffic safety, as this is an issue that really haunts the country, and causes a massive toll on its people, and the economy. How about forming an entirely new branch of law enforcement, that is paid well, and therefore does not have to rely on handouts to survive? They would be the equivalent of the highway patrol. Not be under the jurisdiction of the RCD (revenue collection dept, disguised as the RTP). They would be responsible for drunk driving tests, administering reckless driving violations, speeding tickets, etc. Three violations in two years, and your vehicle is confiscated and sold at auction, and you lose your license for two years. If caught driving with no license or a suspended license, a mandatory three year prison sentence.

I know some of this may sound heavy handed. But, without a deterrent in place, how do you teach a nation to behave? How do you teach consideration of other drivers, and respect?

Driving in Thailand you have to assume that everyone is out to kill you.

I also care deeply about the complete and utter lack of anything resembling a rule of law, licences given to many completely incompetent and stupid people, vehicles that should be on the scrap heap and definitely not allowed anywhere near to a road etc.

But being concerned will I fortunately not change anything.

RIP to the deceased and caused by van not having airbags or seatbelts fitted these old classic vehicles have to be driven with extra care knowing that you dont have any modern safety features fitted in your classic vehicle and also not having a qualified competent driver behind the wheel, in otherwise just a normal day on Thai roads / race track.

I drive my own car or take the big buses to the airport. There should be a warning sign at the airport to avoid minivans, at least in a big bus you have a better chance to survive an accident

A few years back, wasn't there a news story that vans will be fined over 2000 Baht or something like that for speeding over 90?

That obviously needs to be enforced tho.

It wasn't even a few years back it was much more recent. Why don't they fix a speed control unit to every mini bus. then it might be safer to travel in one.

That suggestion would embrace a concept known the world over as common sense, reason, concerns about safety, regard for human life and limb, and concern over lawsuits and liability. Either none of that exists here, or it exists barely, to the point where it is not considered an important factor.

Surely, if the van companies really felt a serious pinch, every time one of their dummies kills himself and his passengers, it would be an issue for them. But, they do the math. Ten thousand baht here, twenty thousand baht there, all taken care of. Problem goes away. The "Authorities" (a word that must be used in a very, very loose manner here) barely register a concern, every time this happens.

Only when there is enough pressure from outside of the country, do these imbeciles leading the ministries take notice. Only then. And then, only for a few days. Transport Minister Arkham Termpittayapaisit is completely, and totally asleep at the wheel. There are a hundred ways to address this emergency issue. How many are being considered, addressed, implemented, or followed up on? How concerned is he, over the safety and welfare of his people. How much sleep does he lose, every time a mini van crashes, and people are slaughtered, by these nearly insane drivers?

Thailand is ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities, with 44 deaths per 100,000 people (5.1 percent of Thailand’s overall deaths), according to statistics from the World Health Organization and The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute in the United States.

In Southeast Asia the title of Asia’s deadliest roads is firmly held by Thailand with 44 deaths per 100,000 population, followed by: Malaysia with 30; Vietnam with 24; Indonesia with 21; Laos with 17; Cambodia with 15; Brunei Darussalam with 14; Myanmar with 10; Philippines with 9; and Singapore with 6.

http://www.establishmentpost.com/thailand-has-asias-most-deadly-roads/

Edited by spidermike007