Hats at night

Topsipp

Can someone please explain why so many men, especially Americans, who wear hats indoors and at night. I was always told that it was polite to remove your hat when inside. Also, hats or caps serve either one of two purposes, to protect your head from the sun or for warmth. Neither of which apply at night or indoors.

I wish some could explain.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hats are a clothing accessory, have been for thousands of years. Like other pieces of clothing a hat usually has cultural signifigance, not only its utility. Several thousands of years ago, some cultures were almost completely naked except for very unwieldly head accessories. In Asia, you can see the hats worn by Chinese, Korean, and Japanese aristorcrats until the last 100 years.

In Thailand, it was fairly common until about 100 years ago for women not to wear any clothing above their waists.

100 years from now, what is worn or not worn, would be interesting to see.

Utility is low on the totem pole as far as why a particular piece of clothing (including hats) is worn.

This is probably one of *THE* dumbest things I've read on T.V.... Just to prove the point, lets substitute "hat" with another popular men's fashion accessory...

Why do men, especially Europeans, continue to wear watches indoors and at night? I was always told that it was polite to remove your watch when inside. Also, watches serve *ONE* purpose, to tell you the time. Neither of which apply at night or indoors. There are clocks on most walks. There is a clock on your phone. There's clocks on all the mobile phones around you. You can even estimate the time by looking at the night sky and notating the position of the stars in relation to the time of year!!

I wish some could explain. Why don't you arbitrarily remove your watch as soon as you enter a building or the sun goes down?!?!?

-Mestizo

hats are a clothing accessory, have been for thousands of years. Like other pieces of clothing a hat usually has cultural signifigance, not only its utility. Several thousands of years ago, some cultures were almost completely naked except for very unwieldly head accessories. In Asia, you can see the hats worn by Chinese, Korean, and Japanese aristorcrats until the last 100 years.

In Thailand, it was fairly common until about 100 years ago for women not to wear any clothing above their waists.

100 years from now, what is worn or not worn, would be interesting to see.

Utility is low on the totem pole as far as why a particular piece of clothing (including hats) is worn.

This is probably one of *THE* dumbest things I've read on T.V.... Just to prove the point, lets substitute "hat" with another popular men's fashion accessory...

Why do men, especially Europeans, continue to wear watches indoors and at night? I was always told that it was polite to remove your watch when inside. Also, watches serve *ONE* purpose, to tell you the time. Neither of which apply at night or indoors. There are clocks on most walks. There is a clock on your phone. There's clocks on all the mobile phones around you. You can even estimate the time by looking at the night sky and notating the position of the stars in relation to the time of year!!

I wish some could explain. Why don't you arbitrarily remove your watch as soon as you enter a building or the sun goes down?!?!?

-Mestizo

Posting serious replies in this thread is sooooooooooooo off topic.

And surely you were told many times before: You too mut selious!

-Mestizo

Or you could be like Jack Reacher and have a clock in your head.

-Mestizo

Because it is like me a Seiko Mickey Mouse watch and not run of the mill

Nothing announces "I am a moron" more emphatically than wearing a cheap "baseball" cap,(and these are CAPS, not HATS) turned backwards, with the "one size fits all" plastic strap pasted to the forehead. This look has been with us for too many years. All that is missing is the catcher's mask.

Edited by Frank James

Jesus and Brian are jewish.

Did you ever see them wearing a hat?

Clearly.

jesusfedorasmoking.jpg

Off to the pub forum, I suppose.

I stand corrected concerning jesus.

But I was correct about Brian.

So I can keep half my face.

Brian had his hat moments, and even indoor!

01LifeBrian.jpg

life-of-brian-790x444.jpeg

A lot of hats around Brian too.

whistling.gif

Edited by ikbenhet

I can only speak my opinion...., I think many men wear hats to distract from bad hair or no hair.
And what's with Hipsters wearing pork pie hats..., they were bad enough when Karl Malden and Telly Savalis wore them in those (almost, but not quite) forgettable cop shows. Again..., sometimes hats are merely overcompensation for the follicularly challenged gigglem.gif

Edited by Sandy Freckle