Visa Exempt entry possible with valid visa?

Hi,

Simple question: EU passport.... going to Thailand for 12 hours, need to change airport from Suvarnabunhi to Don Muang.

Flying to China, stay there short time, no time to apply for visa.

Fly back to Bangkok and stay 2 months.

I just applied for a Tourist VIsa - single entry, and I plan - once I get to Bangkok the first time to enter on visa exemption, so that my visa remains valid for when I go back.

Can I do that? I don't want to invalidate my visa.

I know that I could have applied for a double-entry but I didn't realise that, so I am now looking for a way out of this.

I heard someone at the embassy recommending that one asks for a re-entry permit on the single entry visa.... never heard of that...

Thanks in advance for advice.

Cheers,

canerandagio

You will have to use the visa to gain entry to Thailand.

A re entry permit is available from immigration on departure from Dom Muang.

NB

1. ​Double entry tourist visas a no longer available
  2. Re entry permits will/can be issued against any type of visa or visa exempt entry.
  3. The Thai Embassy in China only offers visas to those who are citizens or legally resident.
Edited by expatbrit

• Chances are that the IO will insist on using the Tourist Visa but you can ask. You'll be granted 60 days on entry.

If he does use the visa then you can buy a re-entry permit at the airport for 1,000 baht. When you re-enter after your China trip the IO will use the re-entry permit and give you the balance of your original 60 days.

At the end of the 60 days you can apply for a 30 day extension of stay at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.

If you need more time after that you can exit and re-enter on visa exempt entry which will give you 15/30 days which can also be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

Edited by elviajero

Thanks a lot, for both replies. I will attempt to keep my visa, but if it fails I will apply for re-entry permit.

Can I get a head start on the re-entry permit please?

- Where can I get it? Don Muang? Where is the office? Before or after immigration? and is it going to be open at 10 pm?

- Also, what documents/photos/other paperwork could I be asked?

Final question: if it all goes tits up... can I return to Thailand on 30 days exemption and extend if for another 30 days without having to leave the country?

Thanks,

canerandagio

Thanks a lot, for both replies. I will attempt to keep my visa, but if it fails I will apply for re-entry permit.

- Where can I get it? Don Muang? Where is the office? Before or after immigration? and is it going to be open at 10 pm?

Final question: if it all goes tits up... can I return to Thailand on 30 days exemption and extend if for another 30 days without having to leave the country?

Thanks,

canerandagio

Yes.

Thanks,

canerandagio

The re-entry permit desk at DM is just after passport control and is open 24/7. Take a photo with you but I believe they do it all for you these days.

Yes you'll have no problem getting a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended at immigration by 30 days for 1,900 baht.

• 4 weeks later...

OK... here is an update.... I thought I get away at Suvarnabhuni without showing my visa, but at the last minute the immigration officer saw it and forced me to use it.

As explained by the replies above, I was able to get a reentry permit by asking the immigration officer when exiting the country 5 hours later at Don Muang...

One of the ladies took me to a room, took a picture of me (no charge), got a 1000 for single reentry and off I was to China.

I am flying back to LOS tonight, however it is very important to state here that the 60 days of my visa started running from the time I entered the country first time, and they did not halt when I was away...

Which means that - although I only stayed in LOS 5 hours, I have actually burned a week of my visa and will have to exit a week before originally planned...