Chinese & Russian tourists dont spend money in Thailand.

rijmond

either yesterday or the day before a brand new looking and very large floating restaurant has appeared in the bay.

moored south pattaya just south of the pattaya beer garden.

the posters who declare the chinese do not spend money should take note.

it's simply that they do different things and spend in places other than beer bars and gogos

the chinese and russians never leave money on the bed every day for the maids to clean their rooms <deleted> ,they never go to the go go bars the normal thais are not making any tips from them staying in these hotels and you wonder why the thais want the brits,the americans and aussies to come back as we are the real spenders in thailand

I notice how when the tour bus stops at 'body massage' palour and not just the traditional 'thai masage' but the one with bath and satisfactory ending included.... there seem to be perplexed women tour member standing around not knowing what to do while the men goes to get relieved....

walked past the 2nd road place and I now see sign advertising 'couple' massage service where you can go in with your wife and get off at the same time.... Good for them!

Local businesses has to be creative and adapt to take the Chinese money

• 2 weeks later...

t would be wrong to generalize.Chinese and Russians are culturally different..the middle-class Chinese prefer to travel in huge groups obviously it's cheaper and more fun.Russians roll differently.On the other hand,the rich from both countries can hardly be seen where average people hang around.If they are not traveling around the world in their private yachts, they probably stay in very expensive resorts(i.e $1000-1500 a day).And that goes for both countries as China and Russia do have mega millionaires and billionaires.Its true that Russia is suffering after $30 barrel of crude oil but an economic downturn wont even put a dent on these folks as that much accumulated money usually lasts a few generations.

I have been to both countries.Just to get in some of the night clubs in Moscow, a $200 tip to the bouncer isn't enough.

And inside the club $200 tip to a pretty waitress is not unusual.

In an upscale Shanghai restaurant, $5000 for a bottle of french wine is standard issue.

In other words, "Chinese do this" or "Russians don't do that' type of generalization will just mislead people.

Have you ever seen Russians or Chinese inside bars where the beer prices are over 80 baht ? I don't think so. They just don't spend much money. But plenty of them in 7 elevens and Tesco.

Edited by balo

So how many expats in Pattaya sit inside bars where a beer is over 80 Baht?? Not too many! So obviously they don't spend much either. Maybe a new post should be started asking why so many bars are going bust by being forced to offer rock bottom beer prices to the expats. If no cheap beer then no customers and go bust.

So how many expats in Pattaya sit inside bars where a beer is over 80 Baht?? Not too many! So obviously they don't spend much either. Maybe a new post should be started asking why so many bars are going bust by being forced to offer rock bottom beer prices to the expats. If no cheap beer then no customers and go bust.

the reason they go bust isn't so much rock bottom beer prices

The city expanded inwards and sideways over the years.New condos got built on what used to be vast vacant lots (i.e between 2nd road and soi buakhao) without much or any demand.Of course the beer bars followed this trend, again, without much or any demand for them!

In short,? Too many condos and beer bars than a handful and rather dwindling number of expats need!

Edited by pattayadude

a Myth perpetuated by those that spent all there time in Falang Owned bars

They Fly to Thailand- Airline Earns money

They stay in Hotels usually better Hotels than the cheap charlie Bar/guesthouses

They eat whether its restaurant/supermarket/ 7/11/ Food cart

They drink again whether its 7/11 / Beach or Russian owned establishment

They Shop

They sit on the beach and Hire chairs, buy food from vendors and beers from 7/11

They get taxis/Buses depdning if there on an organized tour

They use Baht buses/Sky Train etc

Every time I go to a tourist attraction I curse because its packed with Chinese/Russians

see the pattern?

They are spending money on flights, Hotel, food, beer, entertainment s, difference its they are not spending in any British/Australian/US/German owned semi legit Bar

A guy I know who owns a bar in Pattaya told me there is a general consensus amongst bar owners that if the Russian and Chinese trend continues to build their bars are all short lived. They do not visit the bars. Girlie bars or normal bars. Mayne in their hotels? Maybe. The bars in Samui are closing left and right. Few punters anymore there.

That's true.In my opinion most if not all Chinese do not come to Pats for girlie bars or beer bars.They do all their tourist activities in large groups and it's probably a cultural thing for them.I don't even notice any single Chinese dudes in WS bars either.Maybe traveling as single dudes is not as acceptable as in western cultures.Chinese are family oriented people and divorce is almost non-existent

On the other hand, some Russians I have talked to in the past made some jaw-dropping comments about them.

They claim they "have some of the most stunning women on earth" and most Russians "don't come to Pats for its sleazy bars and girls".

Of course they like to party and drink( a lot) but not in a Soi boukhao bar at 3pm under scorching sun like some of us.

They like Russian food and Russian music and to be and party among Russians.(i am not judging them btw)

And most russians come to pats with their russian gf or wives anyway.

So for those beer bars that count on Chinese and russians? i say, they have to go back to the drawing board!