cam chains-maintenence item

rodknock

has any one seen cam chain replacement as a maintenence item.

was looking at a Benelli BN302 owners manual(same engine as a tnt300s, latest model) and it says under the scheduled maintenence table that the distribution chain(cam chain) should be replaced at 13,000Km(6,214mi) intervals.

it does have a self adjusting tensioner.

i have never heard of a cam chain being a milage replacement item.

i am considering buying a tnt300s and if this is factual it will probably cause me not to purchase a Benelli.

thanks all

Most cam chains have either a self adjuster or and warrant a replacement at certain mileage/km in the interests of not bloody messing up a complete engine so to speak, so the comparative cheap replacement is needless to say required so buy the bike and err on your pocket.

As BD says , its an internal chain , and they are replaced at certain mileage. A small point , but 13,000 KM is 8,125 Miles. 13K seems to be very conservative. Perhaps they have seen the ongoing problems with the 250 / 300 "Honda" engines ( some people suspect cheap components in the cam chain / valve areas to be causing most of the engine failures ) , and they dont want to tarnish their reputation. As the Italian styled Benelli is just 60% of the Honda , you can afford a chain once every few years.

The Honda CBR250R, CRF250M/L and CBR300R don’t talk about replacing the cam-chain. But the law of physics tells us that it you expose a chain to any work load it will sooner or later fail.

The Honda service manual says that if a Honda CBR250R, CRF250L or Honda CBR300R make excessive engine noise the mechanic should check for a worn cam sprocket teeth, worn or loose cam chain, or worn or damaged cam-chain tensioner.

The problem with Honda’s approach is that some riders will never notice that the engine starts to produce more engine noise. Remember the ‘excessive’ engine noise Honda is talking about will increase very gradual over a long period…

Especially for mechanics in countries like Thailand, I have the feeling that a set replace cam-chain service is a good thing. People are not the same, what I find excessive engine noise some other people regard as nice engine note… Also comparing two motorcycles will also be difficult as most owners will have replaced exhaust systems and even replaced air-filters for more freely breathing and exhaling and changing the engine noise completely.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Most cam chains are internal and endless therfore needing a complete and expensive stripdown to replace. I have only ever seen one bike which recommended replacing it. I bought a Laverda Jota and was horrified when I saw that cam chain replacement was a regular service requirement - however it turned out to be a simple simplex chain with a split link and the procedure was simply to join the new one on then turn over the engine until you couls remove the old one and rejoin the new one. Simple - until you dropped one end down the 'ole!

• 1 month later...

Richard BKK has now posted more information on the periodic replacement of the cam chain on another thread that highlighted some more problems with excessive noise on the Honda 250 / 300 engines. Due to the clever design of the Benelli engine , the cam chain replacement takes just 15 minutes.

Jota - nice bike ! OK, Richards news makes me feel better, no biggy to RandR a cam chain.Done them before where they say dismantle half the engine, but used a piece of Stainless Steel wire with a hook on the end , feed it around the crank, and - if you are careful, you can fish the new chain around with the old one. Drop it and you Split it tho'! Will keep a close eye on it - or ear on it - if I buy the Honda. Talked to the Benelli guys here re: is the Super Motard coming ? Standard answer. I Live in Hope.

well we will see. just bought a used benelli tnt 200s with 1800KL.

the what they call an owners manual does not mention an thing about cam chain.

awesome bike, the poorest owners manual i have ever seen. does not even tell you how to remove the seat, but they refer to items and say remove seat.

i hope this is not the manual they are trying to push in the U.S., as the dealers and buyer's will laugh.

they do not give you directions for changing the headlight bulb or any bulbs. the list could go on and on.

only hope Benelli service is up to date

13,000 KM seems early , but it seems a cheap and quick 15 minute job. If it saves wear on the cam and crank gears , and possible engine damage , then just look upon it as a service item. Theres no excuse to produce such a poor owners / service manual nowadays.

awesome bike, the poorest owners manual i have ever seen. does not even tell you how to remove the seat, but they refer to items and say remove seat.

i hope this is not the manual they are trying to push in the U.S., as the dealers and buyer's will laugh.

they do not give you directions for changing the headlight bulb or any bulbs. the list could go on and on.

I not know about a Benelli TNT200S, so I assume you did a typo and mean the TNT300S. I found the English owner's manual pretty complete - maybe you have the wrong owner's manual https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmYWlzMWkPhM2NuSU9VMTZTRjA/view?pref=2&pli=1

Richard BKK has now posted more information on the periodic replacement of the cam chain on another thread that highlighted some more problems with excessive noise on the Honda 250 / 300 engines. Due to the clever design of the Benelli engine , the cam chain replacement takes just 15 minutes.

I'm intrigued. Pray tell, Jeff, what is this "clever" design of the Benelli engine?

I not know about a Benelli TNT200S, so I assume you did a typo and mean the TNT300S. I found the English owner's manual pretty complete - maybe you have the wrong owner's manual https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmYWlzMWkPhM2NuSU9VMTZTRjA/view?pref=2&pli=1

Richard the owners manual is a waste of time and next to useless. Dont know about the cam chain renewal but the handbook recommends the brake hoses to be replaced every 2 years !

Went into Benelli Udon and asked about the cam chain being replaced at 13,000 kms and they said no maybe 30,000 ..

Just more misinformation on here again cheesy.gif

Also asked about replacing the brake hoses at 2 years, again another no.

Thats from the horses mouth..