Thailand gun death rate TWICE as high as US

webfact

I saw on international news only a few nights ago the number of gun deaths per 100,000 for countries , USA 8.5 , Brazil 28. 3 UK .03, Australia .05 Philippines was mention and others but can not remember what they were, no mention of Thailand, I think as others have said the problems in the south would blow the figures way up for Thailand, I don't see in the news about Thailand massacres every other week like I see about the USA, I don't think massacres like in the USA could be covered up by Thai government.

No massacres maybe but I bet half the shootings never make the news.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those figures must be totally skewed by the troubles down south. Typical of statistics -- look at the person compiling the numbers to see what hidden agenda they are supporting wink.png

The shootings between village gangs in the North East is also playing a big part in the statistics. The average Friday night party goer in Udon Thani now thinks it is part of the dress code to carry a gun. I am hoping these same guns are used to protect us when ISIS start.

All those gun control laws and....... This.

California has some pretty strict gun laws too.

It ain't the gun that does the killing! No more than it was the knife that did the killing of that guy on Pahonyothin a few weeks ago over the Ipad, or that guy machete that killed that family recently, or the hoe that did the killing on Koh Tao, or the psycho that slit his girlfrinds throat on walking street, or the baseball bat that beat that biker to death recently in Pattaya, or........

Not quite. Guns are fetishistic. Guns have persona. Guns have charisma. They are like a living thing in the pocket whispering "fire me". And Thais are animist.

And any bloody fool can pull the trigger. You dont have to be brave or clever, just a moron with a killing weapon in his hand

It ain't the gun that does the killing! No more than it was the knife that did the killing of that guy on Pahonyothin a few weeks ago over the Ipad, or that guy machete that killed that family recently, or the hoe that did the killing on Koh Tao, or the psycho that slit his girlfrinds throat on walking street, or the baseball bat that beat that biker to death recently in Pattaya, or........

Not quite. Guns are fetishistic. Guns have persona. Guns have charisma. They are like a living thing in the pocket whispering "fire me". And Thais are animist.

"fire me, my precious"

I decided the best way to deal with it is to stick my head up my ass and forget about it. However youre gonna die it is written. There is little else to do. Oh yeah and look around you and wonder why so many people walk the earth when we could be so merrily put to death somewhere so easily. Merry Christmas!

True. A lot of the deaths are down south. That does not make it OK, but does skew the figures in the rest of Thailand. Bangkok seems relatively safe for the average foreigner on an average day.

This is like saying that alot of killings are in New York, Chicago, and Detroit ! There all in the same country.

One big thing here is the southern insurgency. I'm not sure how much it contributes to this but it skews the average a lot.

So any statos done the figures without the southern insurgency?

Say for Bangkok?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Those figures must be totally skewed by the troubles down south. Typical of statistics -- look at the person compiling the numbers to see what hidden agenda they are supporting wink.png

The shootings between village gangs in the North East is also playing a big part in the statistics. The average Friday night party goer in Udon Thani now thinks it is part of the dress code to carry a gun. I am hoping these same guns are used to protect us when ISIS start.

5 years ago I went to one of those jamborees up near Kalasin. I knew what to expect and retreated homewards at about 9pm when the crowd was starting to show divisions. Next day 2 dead and several in hospital. No doubt face had been saved on both sides so the body-count was not important. It's not the guns that kill -- they'd be at each other's throat with machetes if guns were not available.

Huh??? You have managed to come up with one of the more ridicules and immature posts I have read on ThaiVisa regarding guns.

True a lot of gun related deaths, but also taken into the stats are the problems of the south, and there my friends a war is raging between terrorists and Thai's, tourists alike. All these deaths are collated together. The Australian figure is probably a more accurate assessment. Still any death from guns is too high. However remember nothing really credible comes from the US considering the agenda posed against Thailand.

I simply don't believe these data. On TVisa we see in a year hundreds of people (mainly farangs) throwing themselves off balconies in condominiums in Pattaya and Phuket...how often do we see a shooting on these pages?

If Thailand had professional and competent policing, you would find many of these foreigners doing swan dives off their balconies are being pushed. As far as the shootings, these people aren't much on reporting the dark side of this country.

Its not those dodgy Nationmaster stats that crop up every year or so again is it?

I assume you know who puts the stats on Nationmaster

There was always something very odd about the figures that Nationmaster put up and it was mentioned on here a couple of years back by someone that the belief was that the Thai Police had got the figures mixed up in some way - the UNODC figures, also provided by RTP gave a total homicide rate from a similar time as being 5 per 100,000 which didn't make any sense as the gun homicide rate was higher than the total homicide rate.

Bottom line is, like virtually all statistics that come out of Thailand, take them with a pinch of salt especially if the wording/definition isn't clear and a reliable source/link to the data is not provided.

Why are is there never any hysteria over these weapons that kill people all the time?

a1eed041ae5364fb2277602c05d58bb5.jpg

46fbf68fad081b1f5de2508cdb0b7af9.941x596

Line 'em up portray them as the Evil Killing Machines that they are.

I guess guns go "BANG" though, which makes them more scary.

You can't justify guns, by asking this question.

Are you a pro gun person?

Yeeeee-haaaaa cowboy.

Why are is there never any hysteria over these weapons that kill people all the time?

a1eed041ae5364fb2277602c05d58bb5.jpg

46fbf68fad081b1f5de2508cdb0b7af9.941x596

Line 'em up portray them as the Evil Killing Machines that they are.

I guess guns go "BANG" though, which makes them more scary.

Congratulations on the dumbest question so far. When was the last time you read about someone killing 16 people in a crowd with a machete?

ONE PERSON IS ENOUGH

OK.

Ban knives and machetes too is all I'm saying. Let's ostracize them the same as guns. What's wrong with that?

Screwdrivers are equal dangerous and hammer as well. We must ban these two.

(and small pink Hello Kitty fingerclips.....I saw when they catch an about 80 year old man with one in the airport (Don Muang), it opened only about 1.5 mm)

A Bht 10 plastic hair comb from 7-11 used the right way is also a dangerous weapon and can inflict some serious injury, probably not life threatening but - it's all relative so where do you start and finish with what should be shouldn't be banned.

Quick Poll : how many of the pro guns guys here have a gun in thailand for your own safety and travel with it at all time, because they are scared to death of the bad guys with guns?

I had a carry permit in Florida mainly because of carrying cash home from my business at night but I can't legally own a gun in Thailand and even if I could if you had to shoot a Thai good chance you would be blamed no matter what the real situation was. So I settle for a dog and a machete at home. Just use your head and remain situationally aware.

As for USA the data do not show the number of suicide made with guns. Wich is hudge. It's made for scared people. Just like in France and in Europe where we are supposed to be in a war with Islamic State. We are, all citizens, in danger, we are all possible target for terrorists. But the first decision European Commision is trying to take is to ban guns ownership from Europe. They don't want legal ownership of gun. They don't want honnest cityzens to have gun. They say that it is to fight terrorism! Bullshit. They are affraid of us , the people , not of the terrorists. It's the same all over the world. This campaign is made to help governments to disarm honest people.

True but a major part of it relates to access to guns: Australia used to have mass shootings ( in Melbourne Queen St , postal, Hoddle Street, a psycho, in Sydney, lunatic bikies, InTasmania/Port Arthur, a psycho).. Not one mass shooting since the gun buyback and a dramatic decline in gun murders and suicides.

The gun buyback was for legally owned semi or fully automatic weapons.

You are naive to draw the conclusion that the gun buyback prevented further atrocities in Australia.

Even if the gun buyback had have occurred prior to your list of events there is little chance they would have been prevented because not one of the weapons used in any of those events was targeted by the buyback. I exclude the M1 Carbine from Queens St because it had a defect which restricted it to single shot only.

As for USA the data do not show the number of suicide made with guns. Wich is hudge. It's made for scared people. Just like in France and in Europe where we are supposed to be in a war with Islamic State. We are, all citizens, in danger, we are all possible target for terrorists. But the first decision European Commision is trying to take is to ban guns ownership from Europe. They don't want legal ownership of gun. They don't want honnest cityzens to have gun. They say that it is to fight terrorism! Bullshit. They are affraid of us , the people , not of the terrorists. It's the same all over the world. This campaign is made to help governments to disarm honest people.

Yep, next they will be dosing the water supply with drugs to ensure the honest people are fully compliant with the government's agenda.....

True but a major part of it relates to access to guns: Australia used to have mass shootings ( in Melbourne Queen St , postal, Hoddle Street, a psycho, in Sydney, lunatic bikies, InTasmania/Port Arthur, a psycho).. Not one mass shooting since the gun buyback and a dramatic decline in gun murders and suicides.

You are naive to draw the conclusion that the gun buyback prevented further atrocities in Australia.

Even if the gun buyback had have occurred prior to your list of events there is little chance they would have been prevented because not one of the weapons used in any of those events was targeted by the buyback. I exclude the M1 Carbine from Queens St because it had a defect which restricted it to single shot only.

Get your facts straight before posting, the buy back was for all firearms, and from memory there was no such thing as legally owned semi or fully automatic weapons at that time

Get your facts straight before posting, the buy back was for all firearms, and from memory there was no such thing as legally owned semi or fully automatic weapons at that time

I carried a gun in Texas for four years because I frequently went in and out of banks in the middle of the night and parked in parking lots where people were being mugged and robbed on a regular basis.

Even though I'd been hunting since I was 13, having a Walther PPK in a shoulder holster made me feel "different".

I drew it twice in four years but never fired it at a person. Once at a guy trying to rob me who ran away and once at a guy breaking into my car who I could have shot but didn't.

Carrying a handgun definitely has a "feel", not like carrying a knife.

Huh??? You have managed to come up with one of the more ridicules and immature posts I have read on ThaiVisa regarding guns.