Words of wisdom: Teacher trash talks Thais who fake farang accent

snoop1130

Words of wisdom: Teacher trash talks Thais who fake farang accent
By Coconuts Bangkok

adam.jpg

BANGKOK -- Minor local celebrity Adam Bradshaw, an English language teacher and blogger in Bangkok, has spoken out against Thais who annoyingly speak their mother tongue with a Western accent in an attempt to sound "hi-so."

In a widely shared Facebook post, Adam, an American expat known for writing and speaking Thai at native-speaker level, snapped at Thai people who have lived abroad for a few years and then suddenly forget how to speak Thai clearly - a trend that has been around in Thai culture for decades as an attempt to flaunt financial status.

"You've lived abroad for 2-3 years and forgot your mother tongue? I don't believe it! I know many Thais who have lived abroad for decades and they can still speak Thai clearly. Their English is fluent as well. They may have forgotten something but their accent doesn't change," Adam wrote in Thai.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/11/words-wisdom-teacher-trash-talks-thais-who-fake-farang-accent

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-11

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what about westerners residing here whose English turns to rat sh!t after a while? What's the ruddy big deal?

I have met people in the UK and after about a minute have said to them, "I see you have spent a while in Thailand..." Big fuss over nothing.

Edited by baboon

Interesting. I have never heard a "farang" accent.

Nor have I ever heard of a Thai faking a English or American accent, or not able to speak Thai any more.

I know a few kiddies (my own including) that sound a little more American 'cause of the influence of cartoon network.

And of course, I can pin point the area on the map that any Thai that studied in the UK based on the accent they came back with - but only when they speak English.

But fake accents? I think Adam is a bit of a f*ckwit. Fact is - if you send a Thai to London for 2-3 years, they will pick up the accent when they speak English.

Edited by pedro01

If they have been living in the West sure their accent changes.

I lived in Thailand for 12 years and it changed the way I spoke english.

I drew out my vowels and inflected words at the end of the sentence. Back in the UK everybody remarked on it. Twelve months later the Thai accent is fading, so I am told, but living in a foreign country and speaking the native language does affect one's mother tongue

So what about westerners residing here whose English turns to rat sh!t after a while? What's the ruddy big deal?

I have met people in the UK and after about a minute have said to them, "I see you have spent a while in Thailand..." Big fuss over nothing.

What gives them away? The ladyboy girlfriend? Has nothing to do with their accent.

Sent from my c64

I've heard of this phenomenon before... A Thai Girl (Generals Daughter nonetheless) was dating a friend of mine... After studying abroad she deliberately 'farangaised' (yes I know thats not a word) her Thai...

Those Thai's listening to her thought she was just a spoilt dumb bimbo - they weren't far off the mark.

I have also heard 'accents' in the Thai language spoke by foreigners to Thailand... Its pretty easy to spot unless the standard of Thai spoken by the foreigner is excellent.

So... IMO - this guy is pretty much on the money and more in touch with reality than those who are calling him a douche...

In fact, I suspect some may simply be jealous that on the 'native'o'meter' he's more in touch with Thailand than them.....

What gives them away? The ladyboy girlfriend? Has nothing to do with their accent.

Sent from my c64

Coming out with things like "..and after, I go eating. Super delicious.." Stuff like that.

Wow this guy sounds like a total Douchebag......

Watch his show on Voice TV...

He really doesn't come across as a douchebag, and his Thai is superb.

He's passionate about teaching english, and has the charisma to merit his 'minor celebrity' status.

Good luck to him I say, and what he says about the 'hi-so' set is probably true too

If they have been living in the West sure their accent changes.

I lived in Thailand for 12 years and it changed the way I spoke english.

I drew out my vowels and inflected words at the end of the sentence. Back in the UK everybody remarked on it. Twelve months later the Thai accent is fading, so I am told, but living in a foreign country and speaking the native language does affect one's mother tongue

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went back to the States after living here for 16 years, I had the urge to go to shopping. People would visit me (after I back home) and would seem perplexed when I would politely ask "You want some drink?".

I think many people haven't read the article and have misunderstood what this man is saying.

Anywho, I've met quite a few Thais who've been abroad and have been 'enlightened'. Many I've met have started to look down on their fellow Thais and acted more foreign and cultured.

But these are the same people who wouldn't give an inch to a foreigner in Thailand but expect the mile when travelling abroad.

When anyone travels, lives and works outside their native country, it changes them in lots of ways, most of them good.

The same applies when Thais live in Europe or America. They become more world-wise.

If they also put on a funny accent to show off, that is probably a small worry.

Exactly what my son complains about me. He bought

me a whole bunch of Mr. Men books and said:

"Dad, I think it's time you read some English books again" facepalm.gif

What the hell is a "Farang" accent anyway? Cockney? Glaswegian? Bronx? Ocker? RP?

What a lot of nonsense.

clap2.gif

He'd be better served venting about Thais masquerading as " English ' teachers who can't put a sentence together and pass on the crap they were taught.

Same same, I ever know and so much more .

What the hell is a "Farang" accent anyway? Cockney? Glaswegian? Bronx? Ocker? RP?

What a lot of nonsense.

clap2.gif

He'd be better served venting about Thais masquerading as " English ' teachers who can't put a sentence together and pass on the crap they were taught.

Same same, I ever know and so much more .

Nice one, affected accents can be so false and annoying but if speakers get the vocabulary, structure etc correct it's better than those who claim to speak a language and most definitely can't.

I've met quite a few Thais who've been abroad and have been 'enlightened'. Many I've met have started to look down on their fellow Thais and acted more foreign and cultured.

But these are the same people who wouldn't give an inch to a foreigner in Thailand but expect the mile when travelling abroad.

The best thing is that the ones who went abroad rarely get our subtle "Westerness" just like we (aliens) rarely get their supreme "Thainess"... I love it when they tell blatant lies and bs about the West simply to impress the untermensch known as the Common Thai who has never been abroad (except for the obligatory temple or market visit in Lao, Khmèn [sic] or Bpama) ...

Oh well, people, hiso, loso or soso... useless coffee1.gif

You mean my Thaiglish with heavy German accent doesn't sound hi-so tongue.png

You no friend me! facepalm.gif