Songkran:

JuniorExPat

I've lived in Chiang Mai for several years but for some reason I can never remember how Songkran pans out - it could be all that rice hooch . . . . My Thai friends and family never seem to know either until about 24 hours beforehand!

I know it's in the calendar as April 13-17 but I have friends visiting for Songkran and they are asking me which day has the parade, when does the water throwing officially start, when does it actually stop and what day would be best to arrive . . . . all easy questions on the face of it but ones that, embarassingly, I cannot answer with 100% certainty!!

Is there anyone here with a better memory or calendar than me?

Help!

JxP

The actual days are regional (Chiangmai is usually on the announced dates) and also the government usually doesn't make the final dates (official holidays) until close to the festival. However here is some information from TAT: http://www.tatnews.org/THAILAND_GRAND_EVENTS/2830.asp

As you can see they have a date spread of April 6 – 23, 2006. :o

The site indicates APRIL 11 - 15, 2006 for Chiangmai Songkran Chiangmai

The actual days are regional (Chiangmai is usually on the announced dates) and also the government usually doesn't make the final dates (official holidays) until close to the festival. However here is some information from TAT: http://www.tatnews.org/THAILAND_GRAND_EVENTS/2830.asp

As you can see they have a date spread of April 6 – 23, 2006. :D

The site indicates APRIL 11 - 15, 2006 for Chiangmai Songkran Chiangmai

Thanks tywais. :D

Still trying to work out which day has the temples parade etc etc but I guess six months is a long way to plan ahead! :o

JxP