Pattaya Motorbike Scammers arrested by Banglamung Police

Jonathan Fairfield

Pattaya Motorbike Scammers arrested by Banglamung Police

bikes-2.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA:-- A team of scammers who would falsely report motorbikes, under finance, as stolen, and would then send the bikes to Cambodia for re-sale, have bene arrested by Banglamung Police.

Police Major General Ampon, the Chonburi Provincial Police Commander, led a press conference at Banglamung Police Station on Saturday to confirm the arrest of the gang. The first to be arrested was Khun Sudapon aged 18, who falsely reported the theft of a motorbike.

She claimed that she had borrowed money from a group of illegal money lenders and was unable to pay the loan back. The gang told her they would take 20,000 Baht off the outstanding debt every time she would purchase a new motorbike under finance and would then report the bike as stolen.

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-12-13

Many years ago, my motorbike was stolen off soi Arunotai, outside my hotel. I met the owner and naively asked how much repayment he wanted. He said 40,000 baht. I had already made the first payment of 10,000 baht when I coincidentally met a local Thai insurance broker. In conversation, she said that if there's ever a bike theft, ask the seller for 3 documents:

1) Police report.

2) Insurance claim.

3) Registration book.

With these 3 documents, the broker can verify the status of the claim. I asked for these 3 documents as I prepared to make my 2nd payment and the seller never contacted me again. The broker explained that the sellers have the 2nd key for the bike. They follow me home or wherever I park and then drive away on my bike. They can hide it or do whatever they want with it. The result is the sucker pays.

They take 20,000 baht debt off for a 40,000 baht bike? Sounds too good to be true. How much could they possibly be getting for a hot bike in Cambodia? Especially after he costs of getting it there from Pattaya.

Probably relates to the cost of the new model there......a PCX would perhaps be more lucrative.

How many times can an individual buy a new motorbike on finance?

Many years ago, my motorbike was stolen off soi Arunotai, outside my hotel. I met the owner and naively asked how much repayment he wanted. He said 40,000 baht. I had already made the first payment of 10,000 baht when I coincidentally met a local Thai insurance broker. In conversation, she said that if there's ever a bike theft, ask the seller for 3 documents:

1) Police report.

2) Insurance claim.

3) Registration book.

With these 3 documents, the broker can verify the status of the claim. I asked for these 3 documents as I prepared to make my 2nd payment and the seller never contacted me again. The broker explained that the sellers have the 2nd key for the bike. They follow me home or wherever I park and then drive away on my bike. They can hide it or do whatever they want with it. The result is the sucker pays.

OK. You have me confused.

Your bike was stolen & you asked yourself (the owner) how much repayment he wanted????

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the biggest sucker of them all?

The Thai mirror says "YOU! You must to repay yourself 40,000 baht! You give me money now!"

JUST JOKING! clap2.gif

What was it a rental bike you had that was stolen?

and would then send the bikes to Cambodia for re-sale,

An occupation strictly limited to the RTP.

Though Loas is the usual destination.

Remember the police ring busted doing it a few years back.

One guy went to the police station to report his car stolen, and there it was sitting in the parking lot. He went and got his camera and videod the the police getting in to drive it.

No joke.