How do you check a 7/Eleven receipt?

thailandsgreat

I am often confused how to interpret receipts from 7/11.

The attached receipt shows two cans of tuna @ B.46. Special offer should make 2 cans @ B. 40. I didn't get any discount here.

The last two posts, four items each @0.00, I do not understand.

Not even Thai people have been able to explain to me how to get this discount.

I usually ask for discount before paying. I get no discount. If I insist on discount after paying, I get the discount occasionally but it takes long time and bothering.

I think receipts should be saved and used again?

I read Thai a little but the small print and nomenclature makes reading arduous for me. But it is often also obvious that f.ex. 3 drinks of 550 ml have been checked instead of 2. Many errors in receipts. Small villages, Bangkok the same.

I have an idea about the "Relaxing Bear Cupons" - "Stamp Rilakuma". I don't see them so often now, though.

How do I get the discount and how do I check the receipts even though my Thai reading is very basic?

OK I am a little picky ;) I am super polite when I ask. I never make any conflict of it. If staff look grumpy I just drop it. But checking receipts is an opportunity for me to learn Thai language and culture.

I am surprised Thai people have not been able to explain this to me. Thai society is rather precise in its own way, in my opinion. There are usually rules for what happens, even though the rules are sometimes hard to understand for farlang.

Asking about the attached receipt over 7/Eleven Facebook resulted in no reply.

post-165732-14499824776091_thumb.jpg

Edited by thailandsgreat

7-11 discounts are a huge pain in the ass. For some discounts you need a special 7-11 card. For other things you need to keep receipts and use the redemption points you have on them. You have 4 on that receipt, you can use that to get the special price on 4 items. You also have 4 points for winning a trip to Japan. Not sure how that one works, you probably need a 7-11 card. Then there are the stickers, you can collect the stickers and trade them in for items.

Personally I find it hugely annoying and prefer Tesco Express. If an item is discounted, everyone pays it. No special cards or carrying around old receipts. They have stickers you can put in to a sticker book and get free stuff. Much easier and clearer.

To add on to what the above poster has wrote, every 40bahts nets you one point. You can use the points to get discount on selected items. Like DP25 mentioned, the two cans of tuna that you bought probably require you to use whatever points you have or whatever condition(s) 7-11 set. If you want to pursue this matter further, you can take photo of the tunas on discounts so that we can help you to decode the terms and conditions applied.

Unless you have Thai nationality, you can forget about winning the trip to Japan.

Edited by StoneVisa

I would summarize that you may not qualify for the discount, either you are not a 7-11 member or you didn't provide stamps that give a discount.

If you were entitled to the discount I would expect they would have given it but doesn't hurt to ask. You need a thai english speaking friend to explain it to you.

Thanks guys. I think you are on to something. Saving the receipt where the "discounted" items are listed and presenting it with another buy fits with what Thai people tell. No one knows for sure though.

So I should first check the two tuna cans. After that take the receipt and check the rest of the items!!?? Farlang will then make himself popular with a long line behind him :-/

(Calling this a discount would be illegal in most countries, I think.)

I will later supply photos of the signs posted by the items.

Once a manager carefully ripped down a large fine print sign and we read it together. The 40 B. purchases came in here. But she could never convey the meaning to me.

Just supply today's receipt. Two diet Pepsi should sell @15 (regular price 18 ). I bought two bottles, but they checked three! But it seems they did not check the Red cup Nescafé I also bought!

Receipt still wrinkled after small eruption I had, talking to Thai friend. But they seem to accept my comments. I have lived 15 years in Asia so I erupt in an Asian way.

I am no Thailand expert. But 7/11 staff seems friendlier than at Tesco Lotus express? Small villages also only has 7/11?

Aren't Thai cities built according to a scale according to size? I am no expert, but starting from the smallest:

7/11

Tesco Lotus Express

Big C, Macro (same level)

Tesco Lotus

Central Plaza/Tops

OK I may have missed something there.

Trip to Japan only for Thai citizens. That's a good one. I think the first lines of the Thai national anthem has some truth in them ;)

post-165732-14499948940368_thumb.jpg

Edited by thailandsgreat

1st pepsi max water pepsi max , they charged you nothing for coffee, then pepsi max again, the 2 yogurts then 1 more yogurt, 1 banana, an electric extension no discount. .

You should query it before you leave the shop.

Edited by Thongkorn

Here are photos from 7/11.

http://i.imgur.com/IQa2M9v.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4qFa9Pd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zx5uLAZ.jpg

I read Thai so slowly. I haven't started deciphering the sign by the tuna cans. I must pack and get on a bus. I may reply late but I appreciate all help.

What I basically want to know is what is required to buy tuna @B40. Buying two cans is basic, of course.

Probably same for Pepsi.

Another pricing issue is these bananas.

http://i.imgur.com/sbFePSF.jpg

They are small, compare to the 550 ml bottle.

They come from a stall in a small northern village, about 50 k from the border. My Thai is very rudimentary but I can exchange a few friendly sentences and ask the price.

I think they are clearly marked 10 [baht]. (All bananas had that marking.) But I could never get them under 30.

Bananas and marking one Pepsi too much on the same shopping round made me ask questions at my guesthouse. The staff naturally said that they always pay 25-30 for such bananas.

That is not my experience. Maybe occasionally in Chiang Mai outside markets (bigger bananas, though). Marking one bottle too much could be commented, I think.

Well. The discussion did not go down entirely well with the staff. They are pretty short in replies today.

I guess they think a foreigner should not comment at all even though I mostly ask questions. The "farlang tax" is maybe hard to discuss for Thai?

Edited by thailandsgreat

The usual price of your tuna per can is 46baht. To get it at 40baht, you need to show them the receipt where it states that you have point(s). 1 point = 1 privilege = 1 product at special price. Can you see the word แลกซื้อ? It means that you have to use points from your receipt to get it at a special price.

You can get a further 2 baht discount. However, there's a catch. There are three rules you have to know:

1) Every 40 baht in a single receipt, except for non-particpating products, nets you 1 point. If you pay by 7-card, you get 2 points for every 40 baht instead.

2) If you use the points to get items at a special price, that item will not be counted towards calculating your points. For example, your tuna cost you 46 baht usually. You use your previous receipt to get the tuna at a discount of 40baht. However, your receipt will show zero point even though you bought stuff worth 40baht.

3) Additional 2 baht applies only between 0700-2359hr, and only applies to item above 20 baht.

Let's create a scenario:

On the 20th December, 9am, you went to 7-11 to buy things that cost you 80 baht. You have 2 points on your receipt. If you were to use that receipt immediately to buy two can of tunas, you will get to enjoy two cans of tuna at 38 baht each instead.

As for your question about your banana, I don't know what to say except that it looks like it is definitely worth more than 10 baht.

Just use the local mom and pop shop. My regular one often rounds down the price of my bill, and I don't need to collect stamps or show old receipts for it. And they're equal to or cheaper than 7/11 on nearly everything. And I don't have to hear "Hello welcome" every time the door opens. And I don't have to queue for the till whilst three staff are playing Zombiefier on their smartphones. And it adds to my contribution to the local population so I am better known and ore welcome. And they'll sell me a beer when I want one.

I don't see why anyone would ever go to a 7/11 except at 2am when, after too many drinks, you decide a 7/11 Cheeseburger Special won't give you hearburn this time.

Just use the local mom and pop shop. My regular one often rounds down the price of my bill, and I don't need to collect stamps or show old receipts for it. And they're equal to or cheaper than 7/11 on nearly everything. And I don't have to hear "Hello welcome" every time the door opens. And I don't have to queue for the till whilst three staff are playing Zombiefier on their smartphones. And it adds to my contribution to the local population so I am better known and ore welcome. And they'll sell me a beer when I want one.

I don't see why anyone would ever go to a 7/11 except at 2am when, after too many drinks, you decide a 7/11 Cheeseburger Special won't give you hearburn this time.

That is interesting. You have "broken the barrrier". You have been able to get treated like a local. You have acted correctly and also found a local shop where mom and pop enjoys their foreign customer.

In smaller places i usually stay from days up to a month. The locals behavior are neutral the first days but maybe slightly negative after a while. Of course I should then question my own behavior. But I have lived 15 years in Asia and try to speak, move, hand over things etc in polite Asian style. I can do the most elementary polite chit-chat in Thai. My conclusion has been that when a foreigner stays more than a couple of days, the locals often wish to show that they dont want him there for ever. But that is only an assumption.

Rounding down is interesting. I have only experienced that occasionally when I feel I have overpaid some items. I haven't seen that so much in Asia. Chinese merchants are common and strangely they never round down.

Western merchants round down to attract customers. For some reason Chinese do not do that. I think not even to other Chinese or locals.

If you occasionally manage to get a low price most merchants will hardly give you a bag to carry it in. ;)

The usual price of your tuna per can is 46baht. To get it at 40baht, you need to show them the receipt where it states that you have point(s). 1 point = 1 privilege = 1 product at special price. Can you see the word แลกซื้อ? It means that you have to use points from your receipt to get it at a special price.

You can get a further 2 baht discount. However, there's a catch. There are three rules you have to know:

1) Every 40 baht in a single receipt, except for non-particpating products, nets you 1 point. If you pay by 7-card, you get 2 points for every 40 baht instead.

2) If you use the points to get items at a special price, that item will not be counted towards calculating your points. For example, your tuna cost you 46 baht usually. You use your previous receipt to get the tuna at a discount of 40baht. However, your receipt will show zero point even though you bought stuff worth 40baht.

3) Additional 2 baht applies only between 0700-2359hr, and only applies to item above 20 baht.

Let's create a scenario:

On the 20th December, 9am, you went to 7-11 to buy things that cost you 80 baht. You have 2 points on your receipt. If you were to use that receipt immediately to buy two can of tunas, you will get to enjoy two cans of tuna at 38 baht each instead.

As for your question about your banana, I don't know what to say except that it looks like it is definitely worth more than 10 baht.

Thank you very much. I can follow the general idea, but the details I still have to think about. I find the word laek-süü.

I now restart with a new receipt. It has a total of B.248.

http://i.imgur.com/xe8DnnL.jpg

It should net me 6 points and I am well above the two points needed to buy the two cans of tuna, next time.

So if I present this receipt next time I buy 2 cans of tuna (or any other discounted item in correct amount, between 7am and 11.59pm), I should get the tuna @B.38. (I am in a new town now. I hope they have discounted tuna, which is very common).

To optimize your savings you would also have to split your buys? If I only buy two discounted items next time, I will only use two of the six points value of the receipt. 4 points equal to 32 Baht (4 × 8 (=46-38 ) for tuna) will go to waste when the staff probably collects my old receipt and puts it in their "piggy bank"-box by the cash register.

The bananas were really ten. I often buy bananas and the price in rural areas is often 10. I bought again today close to the first place. 10 Baht bought me more bananas than I got at 30 last time:

http://i.imgur.com/mDjaDPX.jpg

So it is not easy to discuss this with Thai people. They have admittedly built a well functioning society and will never admit to its minor faults, like farlang tax. Or a Westerner is too sensitive to pricing-racism, whichever you want.

But briniging up the farlang-tax to discussion will make many Thai people grumpy for quite some time. They will just say "Bananas are 30." even though this is not really the case.

Edited by thailandsgreat

Thanks for your help, StoneVisa. I got into it now.

My last receipt held 6 points. I now shopped, among other things, 3 tuna, 2 Pepsi and one โจ๊ก. 6 items for 6 points and got 28 Baht refund. The new receipt contains 2 points listed as สิทธิ.

The tuna was discounted from B.46 to B.40. How to get the last 2 down to 38, I haven't figured out yet.

post-165732-14501761346551_thumb.jpg

Edited by thailandsgreat

It means banana.

To get the additional two baht discount, you must use a new receipt with points between 0700-2359hrs. If you were to use your receipts with two points dates 15/12/2015 immediately to buy two cans of tuna, you can get the additional two baht discount.

Thanks StoneVisa. I got the กล้วยหอมทอง with your help. Why it is the only item followed by an N I do not know, but maybe not significant. (Maybe fresh items do not allow you to get credit points??)

I get the tuna at 40 now. But I couldn't really follow how to get it at 38. If I come with a receipt with two points and buy two cans of tuna I get them at 40, that's clear. But I haven't understood what extra requirement is needed to get them @ 38?

I also carefully ripped off the tab below the lower dotted line that is marked with a scissor. But when I presented only that part in the shop they needed staff meeting to sort out the matter. Finally they took the tab, but used barcodes from other receipts lying around, to get points to discount my buy.

Edited by thailandsgreat

oops! I was not being clear about my explanation.

To get the additional two baht, you need to use the new receipt on the day itself.

Today (17/12/15), you went to buy things that cost you 80 baht. You got the receipt dated 17/12/2015 with two points. You must use this receipt on the same day itself or immediately to buy two cans of tuna in order to get the additional two baht discount, and the purchase must be made between 0700-2359hr. If you did this, your tuna will cost you 38baht each. However, if you were to use the same receipt dated 17/12/2015 to buy your tuna on any date after 17/12/2015, your tuna will cost you 40 baht each.

I'm not sure about the 'N' beside the price of the banana. It could be what you said. You can test out your theory by buying item(s) that cost you 32 baht and the 8 baht banana. If you still get 1 point, then your theory is not correct.

Edited by StoneVisa

Thanks. Slowly getting clear about this. Also got B.10 back after buying two มาม่าโจ๊ก. I think I had no more points for that. So it was probably another discount only requiring to buy 2 items of that kind. Must start practicing my reading on the signs.

Another question is if unused points transfer to the next receipt. A wild guess is ... they don't.

Edited by thailandsgreat