Container homes in Thailand

The value of what you build would be very low on resale.

My experience in building in the West is that 1/2 of the cost is the exterior structure with roof on, windows and doors in, but interior completely unfinished other than rough plumbing and wiring exposed. The costs really begin to rise when you complete the interior with finish wiring and plumbing, plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, appliances, heating and aircon systems, cabinets, interior doors, and so on.

I think that would be very hard to insulate. Beginning with steel is the worst. If you insulated on the inside you'd lose space and on the outside would need finishing over much as a block structure. Inside would also need finishing over.

They are quite narrow. There's little flexibility for a floor plan.

Cement floors, block walls and tile roofs are quite cheap in Thailand and would give you a "real" house that had some value.

I think it's a loser proposition for those who are ambitious and need a project, and don't really care what value they are creating.

Cheers.

Their was an episode of channel 4 show grand designs that a architect built is Owen home on family farm out of containers.And it was superb,but there is more engineering involved than you would think having to strengthen ware you cut for doors and windows.

Working with multiple cubes and rectangles is expensive.

If you build a square building that's 10 feet on each side you get 100 sq ft of space using 40 linear feet of exterior wall. If you build a building that's 20 feet on each side you get 400 sq feet of area with just 80 linear feet of exterior wall. So twice as much exterior wall buys you 4X as much space. It's a simple economy of scale.

These containers defeat that principle in a confining way.

If you build a two story box you get twice as much space for the same amount of foundation and roof. I'd scratch build the thing the Thai way and have something when I was finished.

Cheers.

A concrete, stone or wooden structure would be nicer. The idea of a container home is that you can move it easily. In the Netherlands there are "mobile" homes consisting of two parts that can be moved on a standard truck.Once I saw 3 trucks on the road with even 3 parts to make a 9m x 9m square office.

Those steel containers get very hot inside, even painted white.

I saw a nice prefab house been build on TV last week. Location was in England, the house came from Germany. Nice thick sandwich walls with 20 cm isolation. Not cheap though.

Australia is full of container homes. I have lived in one in the Northern Territory. They are often for workers in remote locations.

In Thailand you have bahn knock-down which can be bought and transported to the desired location.

That is the Thai name, straight up.

Any link for mobile homes or wooden bungalow in thailand ?

Thanks.

Australia is full of container homes. I have lived in one in the Northern Territory. They are often for workers in remote locations.

In Thailand you have bahn knock-down which can be bought and transported to the desired location.

That is the Thai name, straight up.

I have seen models down in NST.... a construction company has a few "work in progress" home on the side of the road.. NO work for the past 2 months.

Actually, seeing these conversions for offices.. one for selling BOOZE..and the other in the parking lot for lighting fixtures.

The little house movement does not translate well in Thailand... they go from Grass huts to concrete brick houses...

However they do look sporty... maybe as an outside room addition or.. the in-law house would be the best use..

Better to build your own, steel framed container...leaving plenty space for sliding glass doors and windows.

I was thinking of just a steel frame, that would allow me to slide insulated panels...that i made...onto the roof, walls and floor.

It would be lighter...and no wasted steel, from cutting out a real container

Premade are 220 thousand...delivered

• 3 weeks later...

I viewed some container houses at the Architect Expo in May in Bangkok. Space Solutions is one company. They have a web site and facebook page. http://www.space-solution.net/index.html the facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/spacesolution/ A different firm showcasing modular homes is called P.C. Steel Poles and Cabins Co. Ltd. http://www.quickspace.co.th/aboutus.php They have a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/quickspacethailand A more basic manufactured home is the type often seen in Buriram on the side of the highway. The selection of actual building materials and home furnishing including sanitary ware, valves, electric breaker boxes might be worth a 2nd or 3rd look.

I like the ones that are set up apart from each other and use the space between them. That way, you can have 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and a nice living area.

But US $ 40k without the land ? One can buy a 2 storey house with car port and little garden here for 50K. Thais only of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Positive note.

Cannot buy land, you just lease it. 30,000 baht a year. (I am doing that now..and have a decent structure on it already...one rai).

When you get bored or want to move...you shove everything in your container home, truck it somewhere else, and lease another property. Just choose a property that has a wired structure with plumbing already on it. Probably more for adventurous couples that would like to try living in various places in Thailand (no children). We are having a blast.

Also, can securely lock your things when you leave thailand. I would use one as a storage space/temporary quarters, but would want a real home as well. Possibly a knockdown home, with a container in back. (camouflaged to look like the back of the home).

We never did buy a container...but went with leasing property for 2 years at a time, and using existing structures (cheaply renovating them). We got pretty efficient, and came up with ideas to quickly make a solid, unfinished structure, livable. Exisiting roof, floors and supports with plumbing and electrical are required. Cost to make it habitable is less than 50,000. Add 60,000 for 2 years advance rent. Thats a total of 110,000 with no deposit. Divide that by 24 months, and your average cost is less than 5000 a month. I leave a clause in the lease to continue rent/or possibly have the wife buy. 5000 baht a month is half of what most people pay to rent...and no deposits required. The owner is happy, and gets rewarded with a decent building. We have options of staying or leaving. I do a little "housekeeping"...instead of "working".

Edited by slipperylobster

Positive note.

Cannot buy land, you just lease it. 30,000 baht a year. (I am doing that now..and have a decent structure on it already...one rai).

When you get bored or want to move...you shove everything in your container home, truck it somewhere else, and lease another property.

Also, can securely lock your things when you leave thailand. I would use one as a storage space/temporary quarters, but would want a real home as well. Possibly a knockdown home, with a container in back. (camouflaged to look like the back of the home).

In the olden days, they called such homes 'Wagons'. Good against the desert sun.