Absolute Fool

How about this for stupidity.

I am due to go to Hua Hin by 21st Dec to get a one year extension to my 90 day Visa for the first time. I am using Siam Legal to help me on this as they did my 90 day extension. Anyway today without thinking as we have moved from my girlfriend's relations in Bangkok to Bangsaphannoi, I went to the Bangkok Bank in the town as I needed a seasoning letter for the Immigration. God knows why but as it costs money to withdraw funds, which I will be doing regularly to build a house,I, in my infinite wisdom moved all my funds from Bangkok to Bangsaphannoi. So, yes this has gone and broken the seasoning time but the money has still been with Bangkok Bank since June of this year.

Do any of you wonderful fountains of wisdom reckon that with a fair bit of grovelling and more, the Immigration Officer at Hua Hin will overlook this genuine mistake and still grant me an Extension or am I truly in the proverbial?? I have both Passbooks which when combined will show more than the required funds.

Many thanks in advance for your answers or advice.

Your chances of success might be greater if a financial trail over the seasoning period could readily be established. In particular, have all the debits from your Bangkok account been exactly matched by offsetting credits to your Bangsaphannoi account in the respective passbooks for these accounts?

Another issue of concern which I would have if I were in your shoes would be the age of your bank balance confirmation letter - which, if I have understood your post correctly, you obtained today. Don't know what the exact Hua Hin policy on this is, but most offices insist on this letter being dated the same day as you lodge an extension of stay application or the day before at the very latest. I strongly suspect that Hua Hin will almost certainly ask you to obtain a fresh letter if you leave it as long as until 21st December before going there.

They might well also ask you for a TM30 completed by your new housemaster plus a TM28 from you by way of notification of your new address (plus some proof of your now living at this address).

But maybe Siam Legal could clarify these points for you as well?

Edited by OJAS

I don't see that as a problem and the bank letter should clarify that the 800K has been on deposit with them throughout the seasoning period. The requirement is to hold 800K baht in a bank in Thailand, nowhere does it say that it must remain in the same account, that's inane. As stated earlier, if Siam Legal can't sort that one, I'll be amazed.

• Like 2

I don't see that as a problem and the bank letter should clarify that the 800K has been on deposit with them throughout the seasoning period. The requirement is to hold 800K baht in a bank in Thailand, nowhere does it say that it must remain in the same account, that's inane. As stated earlier, if Siam Legal can't sort that one, I'll be amazed.

infinite wisdom moved all my funds from Bangkok to Bangsaphannoi. So, yes this has gone and broken the seasoning time but the money has still been with Bangkok Bank since June of this year.

With you on that one chiang mai

Same Bank, but different location, same funds in the bank, so what is the problem with that?

Should you really have a problem with it, just call hotline 1111 and see what they have to say (Thai Gov. complaint line by the way)

If no success, then you leave me speechless.

Win facepalm.gif

• Like 2

People have reported problems as a result of fixed deposits maturing during the seasoning period. I think the conclusion on that was if it matures, don't do anything except let it automatically roll new one, at of course a poor rate, but it will have the same account number (i think) and you can get something better after your pleasant visit with Imm.

• Like 1

Don't get your hopes up too much. The immigration officer that deals with one year extensions in Hua Hin is one Royal Pr$*!

I applied for extension based on marriage earlier this year, and despite the fact that we've been married 18 years, having 7 consecutive non-imm O visas in my passports and all the papers in order, he was just looking for an excuse to make our day really miserable. For me, just like you, it's a whole day trip to go to Hua Hin.. Wife was fuming and so pissed off she wanted to blow his head off. Although he speaks perfect English he refused to converse with me at all and wife had to do all the talking.

It seems this is his normal behavior as we went one month later to pick up my extension, he was just as rude to another couple applying for one year extension.

Let's hope he'll be off on the day you visit and you get somebody normal, or, since you're paying Siam Legal, let them sort this out for you. Sometimes a Thai lawyer can do wonders with local red tape.

Then again, it might be nothing, retirement extensions are easier. YMMV.

The good thing is that for 90 days reporting, you can go to the Dan Sinkorn immigration. One hour lunch drive away to a small and very friendly immigration office. In and out in 5 minutes, don't need the TM47 form, and do some shopping at the Myanmar border market and have a lunch with scenic views.

If you wanna talk over a beer, I'm not far from you, send me a message.

• Like 1

Your chances of success might be greater if a financial trail over the seasoning period could readily be established. In particular, have all the debits from your Bangkok account been exactly matched by offsetting credits to your Bangsaphannoi account in the respective passbooks for these accounts?

Another issue of concern which I would have if I were in your shoes would be the age of your bank balance confirmation letter - which, if I have understood your post correctly, you obtained today. Don't know what the exact Hua Hin policy on this is, but most offices insist on this letter being dated the same day as you lodge an extension of stay application or the day before at the very latest. I strongly suspect that Hua Hin will almost certainly ask you to obtain a fresh letter if you leave it as long as until 21st December before going there.

They might well also ask you for a TM30 completed by your new housemaster plus a TM28 from you by way of notification of your new address (plus some proof of your now living at this address).

Hua Hin wants a bank letter that is no more than 2 days old. On the day of your application, you must withdraw some money (ATM) and update your book. Make copies to attach to your application. This is just to show to them that you still have the money in your bank.

• Like 1

Just want to thank you all for your wisdom.

Clarifying some issues. The money I had in the Bangkok Bank in Asoke, which was, and still is well over the 800k required to season was moved totally to the new account with Bangkok Bank in Bangsaphannoi. So this money has been seasoning since June 2015 and is still with Bangkok Bank in Thailand. Just moved it closer to home to save on bank charges for withdrawing down here. The original passbook has shown income and withdrawals and the transferred amount is exactly what I had in the original account. Put the 2 books together and everything tallies.

I will be returning to the Bank tomorrow to get a fresh letter to confirm this and another letter to explain why I changed to a closer bank for an account. Then I am going to Hua Hin on Wednesday to get everything presented along with a Siam Legal representative. I will let you know how I got on. If all goes wrong then it is a trip to Vientianne!!

Once again, many thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Don't get your hopes up too much. The immigration officer that deals with one year extensions in Hua Hin is one Royal Pr$*!

I applied for extension based on marriage earlier this year, and despite the fact that we've been married 18 years, having 7 consecutive non-imm O visas in my passports and all the papers in order, he was just looking for an excuse to make our day really miserable. For me, just like you, it's a whole day trip to go to Hua Hin.. Wife was fuming and so pissed off she wanted to blow his head off. Although he speaks perfect English he refused to converse with me at all and wife had to do all the talking.

It seems this is his normal behavior as we went one month later to pick up my extension, he was just as rude to another couple applying for one year extension.

Let's hope he'll be off on the day you visit and you get somebody normal, or, since you're paying Siam Legal, let them sort this out for you. Sometimes a Thai lawyer can do wonders with local red tape.

Then again, it might be nothing, retirement extensions are easier. YMMV.

The good thing is that for 90 days reporting, you can go to the Dan Sinkorn immigration. One hour lunch drive away to a small and very friendly immigration office. In and out in 5 minutes, don't need the TM47 form, and do some shopping at the Myanmar border market and have a lunch with scenic views.

If you wanna talk over a beer, I'm not far from you, send me a message.

Do you know if it possible to do a border hop (30 day visa exempt) at this crossing yet?

Yeah, well, once the ASEAN treaty gets implemented next year, they will have either to close that crossing or open it for all...

And local scumbags make just too much money on the poor Burmese... so I recon they'll keep it open. They just build a huge covered market there. To my reckoning, half of it is actually in Burma...

Hua Hin wants a bank letter that is no more than 2 days old. On the day of your application, you must withdraw some money (ATM) and update your book. Make copies to attach to your application. This is just to show to them that you still have the money in your bank.

Not sure about Hua Hin, but in Pattaya at Bangkok Bank, you hand over your passbook when getting the manager's letter, the book is updated and the amount shown in the book and on the manager's letter are exactly the same. No need to withdraw any money. Alternatively, you can shove your passbook into any of the machines that update transactions and it will bring the book up to date ... again without the need to add or withdraw funds ... although the manager will probably still repeat the update before writing the letter.

Edited by Suradit69

As a general rule they want the money in the same account for the 2/3 months. But as long as your balance hasn't dropped below the 800k then it's definitely worth asking Hua Hin if they will accept the two bank books.

Why Hua Hin? I usually do my retirement visa at Singkon just south of Prachuebkirikhan. There is a immigration office there just down the road to the Burmese border. Never any problem there and they might be more ameniable to your bank deposit. And if you live in Bansapan it is very much closer.

Yeah, but as we all know too well, all immigration officers interpret the rules to harass us as much as they can. They all vary from place to place. And this particular Hua Hin p$^#k is well known. You should just see his Line message. I know of several expats here that had their application on hold until they submitted the updated book. In any case, it's not a big issue, you can withdraw just a small amount and may banks have the passbook update service machine next to ATM. Hua Hin immigration has a copy service shop next to it.

• Like 1

As a general rule they want the money in the same account for the 2/3 months. But as long as your balance hasn't dropped below the 800k then it's definitely worth asking Hua Hin if they will accept the two bank books.

Why Hua Hin? I usually do my retirement visa at Singkon just south of Prachuebkirikhan. There is a immigration office there just down the road to the Burmese border. Never any problem there and they might be more ameniable to your bank deposit. And if you live in Bansapan it is very much closer.

Sorry to disappoint you elviajero. Sinkorn immigration does dot accept the applications for extensions to stay any more. You can only do 90 day reporting there. Applications can only be done at the main provincial office in Hua Hin.

With a bit of luck the immigration office will move to Prachuap town next year or following, as it should be. Cutting my travel by more than half. And honestly... Hua Hin has become another tourist/expat ghetto... although cleaner than Pattaya, hate to go there.... you just can't move...

I was replying to the OP who mentioned Hua Hin.

The answer is the same regardless of where the office is. He needs to go and ask at the office where the application will be made.

No, my friend. You said that he could do his application in Singkorn. This is wrong. I just had a nice conversation last week, doing my 90 days report there, with a very nice and polite immigration officer. I was complaining why I can't apply for extensions here like before. He said they don't have manpower. Perhaps something related to my tourist/expat ghetto comment earlier? In any case they haven't been doing extensions applications for over a year. When did you apply for your last one?

Edited by SpaceKadet

Just want to thank you all for your wisdom.

Clarifying some issues. The money I had in the Bangkok Bank in Asoke, which was, and still is well over the 800k required to season was moved totally to the new account with Bangkok Bank in Bangsaphannoi. So this money has been seasoning since June 2015 and is still with Bangkok Bank in Thailand. Just moved it closer to home to save on bank charges for withdrawing down here. The original passbook has shown income and withdrawals and the transferred amount is exactly what I had in the original account. Put the 2 books together and everything tallies.

I will be returning to the Bank tomorrow to get a fresh letter to confirm this and another letter to explain why I changed to a closer bank for an account. Then I am going to Hua Hin on Wednesday to get everything presented along with a Siam Legal representative. I will let you know how I got on. If all goes wrong then it is a trip to Vientianne!!

Once again, many thanks for your help.

If I were you I would go to Bangkok Bank head office for that letter, it may save a lot of pain.

• Like 1