Best car for under half a million Baht?

laislica

We live in the styks in Changwat Samut Sakhon so the main (only) connecting road is Rama II

Any time we travel more than 10Km on that road, we will usually see an accident in progress or the aftermath!

I don’t suppose I could get a war surplus Tank? LOL

The car will mostly be used by my son-in-law who is 25.
I will use it for local trips to temples, visit rellies, shopping etc.

We are in Thailand for the winter, about 5 months and the lad will use it when we are away.

My questions are:-

1. Is this the best time to buy – rumour of tax increases next year.
  2. Should I buy new or second hand
  3. Petrol or diesel
  4. Safety in an accident.
  5. Insurance costs.
  6. Reliability.
  7. Ease of maintenance.
  8. Good aircon
  9. Should it be in my name or my wife’s.

Many thanks for quick answers - I am an impulse buyer he he

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're talking new cars (not used), the ones in your budget are all eco cars, which get slightly cheaper next year - so no need to rush.

If used, the prices aren't changing next year - except for normal annual devaluation - so again, no need to rush.

Is your son in law 25 and No 4 connectedwink.png

He he, no.

Thailand - road travel - very dangerous.

In Spain we can buy a small plastic car, and drive without a license and can chug along at up to almost 30mph.

I saw a photo of one that had been in a head on collision.

All that was left was a bent steering wheel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aixam

nissan almeria, suzuki swift.

are you after manual or auto

question answers next year better for eco, new, petrol, not sure on safety, try and get 1st year included, all main makes fairly good for reliability, all main makes fairly good for maintance, air con is air con, wife's name,

good hunting

nissan almeria, suzuki swift.

are you after manual or auto

question answers next year better for eco, new, petrol, not sure on safety, try and get 1st year included, all main makes fairly good for reliability, all main makes fairly good for maintance, air con is air con, wife's name,

good hunting

Thanks Steve, that is one of the models on our list.

How soon next year do eco prices reduce?

It is the perfect time to buy. Most dealers are motivated to meet maximum yearly sales volume to get bonuses, etc.

In my opinion, the best new car under 500K was the Ford Fiesta sedan , 1.5 Auto for 494.000 THB with the 100.000 discount..I do not know if the discount offer still in place. Big and safe car for that money. The competition to it are only smalls cars like Mirage, Susuky, Brio, Nissan, most with manual transmission and 1.0 or 1.2 engines. You can put it in any name if paying cash.

Is 25 year-old married or looking? Can he afford to put fuel in it? How well can he drive?

If I was 25 didn't have a car and was getting one for free. Probably a Swift or Brio.

For you? Brio Amaze is OK.

Not married, not looking, has Uni degree.

Good, well paid job, supports his Grandmama.

Sensible chap so I have no worries about his abilities.

Not totally free, he has to improve his Spoken English LOL

(Typical Thai, shy, does not want to make errors)

But thanks, good points.

Have you considered a 3 or 4ish year old 2WD pickup ...they are quite strong.

Yes, have mentioned them but they are quite big and trickier to find a suitable parking place in the streets of BKK.?

We have rellies locally who have such vehicles so we are only looking for a 4 wheel box for up to 4 ppl.

Petrol or diesel?

ECO cars with motors under 1200cc will be reduced by ฿80 000.- from 1 January. I may swap in my three year old Almera for a new one, nicest family car I ever had and drove (CVT transmission) and one of the sturdier ECO cars around.

Otherwise as noted above, a two wheel drive truck is a good deal especially if you have a large family/ material to haul around.

It's in my wife's name, purely because the paper work was easier.

That's what I'm thinking....on short runs an eco car is only going to give 12 km/l anyway. Stopping and starting kills economy. A decent second hand fairly new pickup could be had for less than 500K, especially 2wd and 2 doors.

like this: http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/ford-ranger-open-cab-xlt-bangkok-metropolitan-srinagarindra-thepharak/2605299/

ECO cars with motors under 1200cc will be reduced by ฿80 000.- from 1 January. I may swap in my three year old Almera for a new one, nicest family car I ever had and drove (CVT transmission) and one of the sturdier ECO cars around.

Otherwise as noted above, a two wheel drive truck is a good deal especially if you have a large family/ material to haul around.

Hmmmm, why change so soon if it's such a good car?

in spain my manual 6 gear, Peugeot 307 estate, 2 ltr, 136 HP Turbo Diesel is 10 yrs old and still going strong.

Should I be buying your Almera he he?

CVT is automatic?

I've never been interested in cars, they are just transport and I can't recognize any make/model till I own one.

Then, all I see are cars like mine LOL

I don't think the drop is that much. I thought it was about 3% max drop, but not sure.

Why would a pickup be good for a large family? They're not that much roomier than a normal small sedan.

That's what I'm thinking....on short runs an eco car is only going to give 12 km/l anyway. Stopping and starting kills economy. A decent second hand fairly new pickup could be had for less than 500K, especially 2wd and 2 doors.

like this: http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/ford-ranger-open-cab-xlt-bangkok-metropolitan-srinagarindra-thepharak/2605299/

Choices, choices LOL

Thanks, keep em coming, this thread is helping me no end.

Cheers

Why would a pickup be good for a large family? They're not that much roomier than a normal small sedan.

Cos a dozen or more can cram in the back on the flat bed.

I know, it's done all the time LOL

I don't think the drop is that much. I thought it was about 3% max drop, but not sure.

Read it on Thai visa, quoting from the Nation.

Choices, choices LOL

Thanks, keep em coming, this thread is helping me no end.

Cheers

I should add that I have a suzuki swift and is great for around town and short trips. Fuel consumption can vary quite a but, but never been worse than 13 km/l. Usually I get 14-16km/l, up to 20 km/l average on the highway. I just suggest a pickup for its size, and more robust if some idiot runs into it. I like small cars for around town though, but in pickups you get more metal for your money, if that's important. Most of the upper spec ecocars run up to 600K now.

How do you get 15 people into a car? 6 in the front and 9 in the back. Done that.

Hmmmm, why change so soon if it's such a good car?

in spain my manual 6 gear, Peugeot 307 estate, 2 ltr, 136 HP Turbo Diesel is 10 yrs old and still going strong.

Should I be buying your Almera he he?

CVT is automatic?

I've never been interested in cars, they are just transport and I can't recognize any make/model till I own one.

Then, all I see are cars like mine LOL

You have to balance the good against the bad. The Almera, like all modern cars is heavily reliant on electronics, has a small motor and at the same time I drive a lot of Kilometres every year.

CVT is Constantly Variable Transmission, I drove trucks, Land Rovers, all sorts of cars and construction machinery, including two that had to be double declutched, so I'm not a wimp. Driving with CVT is a joy. I just start the car and drive, not worrying about changing gear until I get to Bangkok 5 hours later when I switch to 'Sport' mode, giving me more acceleration.

I agree about the fact that cars are for transport, not making a fashion statement.

I looked on the Nation...Couldn't find anything. But I found this..

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-car-tax-to-be-effective-next-january

"The new car tax will see buyers of new cars next year paying higher of 85,000-200,000 baht, depending on the emission of carbon dioxide from engines, and see price drop of 10,000-15,000 baht for eco cars".

So if you have a link that states an 80K reduction I'd like to see that.

I looked on the Nation...Couldn't find anything. But I found this..

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-car-tax-to-be-effective-next-january

"The new car tax will see buyers of new cars next year paying higher of 85,000-200,000 baht, depending on the emission of carbon dioxide from engines, and see price drop of 10,000-15,000 baht for eco cars".

So if you have a link that states an 80K reduction I'd like to see that.

... and of course I can't find it either but that is definitely what I read. This link refers to ฿50 000.- rebate, after all this is Thailand....

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Windfall-from-new-car-tax-not-the-motive-30274620.html

I was having a look at the price guide of the local auction house last week, and some cars were 10 or 40K which is near cert that they're clapped out blue smokers, but there were a lot of cars there and some were less than a year old, and they don't have enough room in the car park to move them around with so many reposessions. I'm sure for half a million you could get something pretty decent there. Times are tough, Thais like new, and banks want their money back.

All the uncles, aunties and cousins can sit in the back, for a day at the beach, and think of all the things you can carry stacked up high.

Archived