Long term stay - optimal actions

Hi

I came to Thailand with a purpose to stay here indefinitely.

Eneterd Thailand with a 30day stamp which a then extended.

Got a double entry visa from Lao whivh i also extended and now have activated second entry via Mae Sai and have possibility to extend for 30days, so in total i have around 90 days left.

Im looking for the most optimal actions to take starting now.

I must add that i do not have any offical income from abroad (for the example lets say my father supports me financially by visiting Thailand couple of times per year and leaves me enough cash to survive. )

What would be the most optimal actions to take considering that 1) I could possibly get married with my Thai girlfriend. 2) I want to learn Thai language fully and for the purpose of paper trail (?) as well I would like to go to Thai language school. 3) eventually apply for a Thai nationality.

The main question here is that would it be better to marry over all the other visa options like language school etc?

Is there any other, perhaps better options? I do not expect it to be easy, i want it to be most optimal with my long term plans.

The fact that i would like to run one day some sort of business with my girlfriend/wife is a fact to consider?

For the purpose of references i live and plan to stay in Chiang Mai but no problem to when needed to visit Bangkok of course.

Getting married just to obtain a visa is a bad idea for several reasons.

Short term your options are to sign up for a language school and get a non 'ED' visa or go outside Thailand for a new tourist visa every three months. Maybe your father would give you 500k baht for a 5 year Thailand elite visa. With that you can stay for 5/6 years.

Long term, once you are married, for the right reasons, you visa problems end.

Working in Thailand is difficult for a foreigner even if married. You need a work permit and for that you need to be employed by a Thai company. Setting up companies/partnerships is expensive and often not practical for a small business.

• Like 1

how would you become a Thai National? To get Permanent Residence you need to be working and have paid taxes in Thailand, then you could consider getting Citizenship or go straight to Citizenship but you need a load of things, best to read the pinned topic about permanent residence first as there are some posts about Citizenship there.

The purpose of getting married is mainly so that i can stay together and go by this life road with my girl companion. And this serves for my own soul purpose that i can stay In Thailand. I love the climate and everything inside Thailand. This is my place where i feel great.

how would you become a Thai National? To get Permanent Residence you need to be working and have paid taxes in Thailand, then you could consider getting Citizenship or go straight to Citizenship but you need a load of things, best to read the pinned topic about permanent residence first as there are some posts about Citizenship there.

I have read it and i know the requirements. Everything takes time and as i mentioned, it is all about long run. Im sure once i lived here for 5-10 years i can do it. The question is how can i stay here optimally for the next 5 years while i learn to speak Thai well, gather some other resources and on the way most likely open business which will create some or many jobs.

I have read it and i know the requirements. Everything takes time and as i mentioned, it is all about long run. Im sure once i lived here for 5-10 years i can do it. The question is how can i stay here optimally for the next 5 years while i learn to speak Thai well, gather some other resources and on the way most likely open business which will create some or many jobs.

then go for the Elite card, less hassle and a few benefits here and there.

The Education Visa is going to prove to be a nightmare with constant renewals and reporting.

Since you have read the topic about PR, have you also looked at the topics about opening businesses in Thailand and the requirements? Do some due diligence, look at your options then make a business plan and stick to it.

The beauty is that i have a girlfriend who has lots of experience in sales as she is a account executive in a big company now. So i'm not worried about business requirements as the hussle is for foreigners so when once we have our business idea to stick with we can create one where she is a business owner and i'm an employee for example.

But we are getting little bit out of the topic because i was asking for myself the most optimal ways to live here.

Elite card feels like money can buy anything which i do not support too much. Last info i had on this was that it was terminated years ago but well, it doesn't matter since i would no go this way.

So as i understand marriage would be the most optional so far?

whistling.gif You will not be getting another double entry tourist visa....as that is no longer possible after November 13, 2015.

A marriage extension is possible if you have the required 400 K Thai Baht that you will need or have an income of at least 40K Thai Baht monthly to meet the financial requirements

If" daddy" will give you 500K Baht you could possibly get a Thai Elite Card and a 5 year visa that way.

Other wise you will have to do with single entry tourist visas ....60 day at a time with 30day extensions on each one (at 1900 Baht per extension).

The other possibility is the so called "education" visa to learn Thai perhaps... but I doubt you call have a hope of that for more than one year at most before it fizzles out

Good luck, but until you reach 50 years and qualify for a Thai retirement visa.it will be a long trip.

If her BIG company where she is an account executive could give you a job sufficient to obtain a 'B' Visa and work permit, that would work . It could be at minimum salary as the salary requirements for foreign workers only applies to extensions.

I agree with Elviajero

And its your only first turist visa.

i am stay in Chiang may near 1.5 year. Go to Laos 4 time for double visa.

just last time give me stiker in passport page , may be next time refuse.

Individual embassies/consulates do have limits but there is no overall limit to the number of tourist visas you can have, so once they say no more you can apply in another country. Not ideal but the only option for some.

• Like 1

This might be an option although i would rather not depend on someone in this case.

The marriage 400k requirement is - when i deposit this into my account in what time frame i can move out funds from that account without affecting visa itself?

The 400k is a requirement for 1 year extension of stay based on marriage and not a visa. The funds need to be in a Thai bank in your name for 2 months before applying. As soon as the extension has been granted you are free to withdraw but would need to deposit again at least 2 months before renewing the following year.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Another option, if married, is to get a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa from Savannakhet. No proof of income is needed. That gives you 90 days on each entry. After 90 days you need to exit/re-enter to start a new 90 day stay. It is possible to extend any 90 day stay by a further 60 days (1,900 baht), so you can delay border runs if needed.

This visa plus a 60 day extension can give you nearly 17 months before needing a new visa or 1 year extension of stay.

Edited by elviajero

I'm kinda in the same boat.

Silly question. The Elite requirement of 500k, is that how much it costs for 5 years? After the 5 years, you need to pay an additional 500k to renew it?

Yes and yes.

But it's possible to stay for nearly 6 years if you enter just before the end of the 5 years. On each entry you get granted a 1 year stay. The membership benefits end at the end of 5 years if you don't renew but any entry given before the end of the 5 years remains valid.

Individual embassies/consulates do have limits but there is no overall limit to the number of tourist visas you can have, so once they say no more you can apply in another country. Not ideal but the only option for some.

Thank you
I heard that the embassies in different countries different opportunities and demands. Laos was easy for me get visa.
So I said to the author of the theme that it is only his first turist visa.
I'm married. So for me tnow non O visa easy way.
Well, as I often leave Thailand. So multi non O year . By the way, as I understand it is not necessary deposit 400k if apply in Laos Savannakhet.

Another option, if married, is to get a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa from Savannakhet. No proof of income is needed. That gives you 90 days on each entry. After 90 days you need to exit/re-enter to start a new 90 day stay. It is possible to extend any 90 day stay by a further 60 days (1,900 baht), so you can delay border runs if needed.

This visa plus a 60 day extension can give you nearly 17 months before needing a new visa or 1 year extension of stay.

Thank You elviajero. This is by far most optimal option for start.

Multiple entry visa cost is 5000B, with a first travel when the prices are correct Lao visa on arrival is 1500B, Around 2000B for a roundtrip. So run itself cost around 3-4k baht for a 90days. So its is reasonable to always extend for 60 days locally for another 1900B - totaling around 6000B for a 120days in Thailand which is about 500eur a year, quite reasonable.

I agree with Elviajero

And its your only first turist visa.

i am stay in Chiang may near 1.5 year. Go to Laos 4 time for double visa.

just last time give me stiker in passport page , may be next time refuse.

But it will not be a 2 entry tourist visa. They are no longer available since the METV started.

Thank You elviajero. This is by far most optimal option for start.

Multiple entry visa cost is 5000B, with a first travel when the prices are correct Lao visa on arrival is 1500B, Around 2000B for a roundtrip. So run itself cost around 3-4k baht for a 90days. So its is reasonable to always extend for 60 days locally for another 1900B - totaling around 6000B for a 120days in Thailand which is about 500eur a year, quite reasonable.

The important thing to maximise this visa is to go out and re-enter, at the end of the year, just before the visa expires. On re-entry you get 90 days which you can extend by 60 days.

During the year, if you don't make any extensions, you will need do do 4 border runs. If you extend two of your 90 day stays you can reduce the border runs down to 3. It takes a little planning but extensions are worth it to avoid border runs and the saving can offset some/all of the cost of extensions.

Edited by elviajero

Do yourself a favor, first things first, go to Thai school, if you intend to live in Thailand, then you do not need to depend on a g/f for anything, they come second, just as we do in their lives.

Now how that will ease the visa situation?

And to live with a woman i am learning Thai every day anyway.

There are a comparatively small number of posters who have had bad marriage experiences and feel an irresistible urge to share their gloom on the assumption everyone will screw things up like they did.

But having said that, it does sound like you're mapping out a life financed by dad and eventually expecting your prospective wife, who already has full-time employment, to start up a business (funded from what source?) and that she would then employ you. Has she, and her family, endorsed all of this? Unless she's an orphan, her family will be an important consideration in your plans. Will you actually be a valuable component in the running of this business or would you simply be drawing a salary and inspiring resentment from whoever really does the work?

As in all countries, but probably more so in Thailand, small business start-ups burn through a lot of money for a few years and have a high mortality rate, which could be costly both in financial terms and as far as domestic harmony goes.

The purpose of getting married is mainly so that i can stay together and go by this life road with my girl companion. And this serves for my own soul purpose ...

Probably better that you go the tourist visa or non-imm ed visa route for awhile to see if your relationship blooms or fades. Not sure what your age is, but you sound fairly young with many years before you. Your "life road" and "soul purpose" may change course in time and it sounds as if it might be rather ephemeral and very much self-centered as well as dependent on others to look after you.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

You have a good reading skills sir Suratid and it is pleasure to read something that actually makes one to use thinking effort.

Indeed i am young, 26 to be exact. I definitely not expecting anyone to look after me as i have been living alone, all over the world and taking care of myself for a good ten years now- and hopefully many to come.

I must say that i do not see anything bad from the fact that people can help each other especially when it will serve both parties.

Now to clear some thing up, i now slightly regret the "dad" thing in my original post which i new will draw some unneeded attention and to be honest it is actually irrelevant and odd that people grab more from this than the actual questions and solutions.

My "dad" is internet and over the years i have managed to make in some cases passive income in other cases from daily work. Everything is unofficial since i have no employers.

I have many working ideas and connections all over the world and with a recent ASEAN announcement many new possibilities have risen.

My "prospective" wife has worked for the same company for 15 years and as we have talked that with her and my skills we can create business what will suit our need and prospects, can create jobs and serve many other people in a good way.

She likes the idea to be a self employed and with my ongoing projects and our bilateral ideas we are looking to create something in which we both feel fulfilled.

The idea of her to be a business owner and me to be as employee is just a formal fact and if this is needed to speed things up and start up with less hussle then by all means. We work together each doing what one does best.

Shall you not worry about her family and source of funds because this is very much irrelevant and by no means will hold down what we are about.

Thank you for your feedback thought.

You have a good reading skills sir Suratid and it is pleasure to read something that actually makes one to use thinking effort.

Indeed i am young, 26 to be exact. I definitely not expecting anyone to look after me as i have been living alone, all over the world and taking care of myself for a good ten years now- and hopefully many to come.

I must say that i do not see anything bad from the fact that people can help each other especially when it will serve both parties.

Now to clear some thing up, i now slightly regret the "dad" thing in my original post which i new will draw some unneeded attention and to be honest it is actually irrelevant and odd that people grab more from this than the actual questions and solutions.

My "dad" is internet and over the years i have managed to make in some cases passive income in other cases from daily work. Everything is unofficial since i have no employers.

I have many working ideas and connections all over the world and with a recent ASEAN announcement many new possibilities have risen.

My "prospective" wife has worked for the same company for 15 years and as we have talked that with her and my skills we can create business what will suit our need and prospects, can create jobs and serve many other people in a good way.

She likes the idea to be a self employed and with my ongoing projects and our bilateral ideas we are looking to create something in which we both feel fulfilled.

The idea of her to be a business owner and me to be as employee is just a formal fact and if this is needed to speed things up and start up with less hussle then by all means. We work together each doing what one does best.

Shall you not worry about her family and source of funds because this is very much irrelevant and by no means will hold down what we are about.

Just as matter of interest what formal educational qualification(s) do you possess ?

What makes you believe you have the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to succeed in business ?

Do a favor to all of us foreigners who wants to integrate into Thai society and do the ED visa. The restrictions force you to study Thai which is a good thing. Just after few weeks of studying you will already speak better Thai then most foreigners, especially retirees who are living here sometimes for decades....

Just as matter of interest what formal educational qualification(s) do you possess ?

What makes you believe you have the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to succeed in business ?

This is a good question(s). It is getting OT but just to satisfy your matter of interest

My formal education is irrelevant as i never proceeded what i once at young ages chose to study as time went by and our world and my view on life and mindset strongly changed,

I believe that along the way i have gathered some great knowledge skills interacting with many great minds whom all showed me one way or another coin sides of business world. Of course, there is tons more on that..But i don't feel it is the place to do so unless you can give me a good reason. By at the end of the day it does not matter. I have a healthy mind and i so far in life I been able do anything depending on the task I've tend to be on blast more often than not. :)

You seem to be extremely optomistic about your qualifications and ability to succeed in business here. I wonder how your actual experience will turn out. I too used to think that academic qualifications were not needed by clever people but I was proven wrong.

Some posters seem to assume that we retirees can't speak Thai well but they are wrong. I studied Thai for six hours a day, five days a week, for an entire year before I came here.

has your GF mentioned the word Sinsod to you yet? And how much it will be, and if you will get any back?

I wholly agree with you about your previous education, it is not what you did but what you can do. Also I am

one of those guys who lived in Thailand for many years but did not even try to learn the language, but luckily

for me my wife spoke English and we now live in Germany and although we are not German we speak German

to each other as well as Thinglish (Mix of Thai and English)