Pattaya washing machine - update.

emilymat

Some weeks ago I posted on here my experience with a 15 month old washing machine I purchased in Pattaya.

Just to recap, the computer display was all over the place - flashing in a crazy fashion, particularly on the water level indicators. Anyway, I called in the service centre 'technicians' who took a quick look and advised me I needed a new circuit board and this would have to be obtained from Bangkok at a cost of 6500 baht!. The machine had cost about 8000 baht new and so I decided to buy a new one for about the same cost as the alleged repair.

The call out charge was 400 baht.

Anyway, the more I thought about it the more I became reluctant to ditch the machine. So I searched around the internet and began to suspect the circuit board was not, in itself at fault, but merely indicating a fault inside the machine. So I took a risk and eventually tracked down (in China) a water level sensor replacement. (I did not know whether this was the problem but took a risk and ordered a new one - which arrived today after 5 weeks. The cost, 9 US dollars or around 350 baht, post free.) I had seen on U Tube that there is no way of testing these items as they are 'sealed units'.

I have just attached it and the machine is working fine!!!.

My reason for posting is simply to highlight this ludicrous situation of a retailer - who prides itself on its service centre service, sending out two men who could not even consider there might be another problem causing the display to act in this way. I cannot name the company as I've been warned once by the mods about the laws of libel in Thailand. Lets just say it is a one word name beginning with N and consisting of 7 letters.

I now have 2 washing machines with the repair being completed for less than the original call out charge.!

Hope this is useful for other posters. I'm no guru on machines etc but this concept of 'chuck it away and replace it' really irks me.

The electronics indicate a fault/error code?

Change electronics!

Experts logic gigglem.gif

Recently I was similar successful after our machine more and more often stopped with a "lack of water" (E4?) fault indicated.

It was indeed the water inlet above the soap box being clogged by limestone.

Required a little disassembly and now I know what to do next time.

nice story. you just know when someone doens't have any idea what they are talking about. it can happen anywhere but it happens an awful lot here due to lack of training, common sense, basic awareness of customer care or simply a lack of professional/personal pride in doing a good job

back in the UK i had a problem with my zanusi washing machine so called the number to get a service call. the woman who answered asked about the problem and suggested i clean the filter, which i did and problem was solved. that's customer care.

Edited by samsensam

Great fix. Can you tell us which brand it is?

Sure. It's a Haier 9.5 kg machine.

I think it's a Chinese company but maybe manufactured in Thailand. Dunno. Cerainly, the 'experts' said there were no replacement parts in Pattaya for this make. That's why they quoted me acost of 75-80% of the orginal machine cost, just to replace the circuit board.

Curiously enough my initial queries on the web eventually tracked down a replacement sensor unit to Alibaba in China. The only problem was I had to buy 100 units minimum!. They must be wholesale. It took some time to find a supplier who would sell me one.

Thanks for your interest. My replacement machine was Toshiba.

B.E.R. is the acronym. Beyond Economic Repair. Which would certainly be the case in countries where labour charges are extortionate.

However, as the OP has kindly pointed out - where there is a will there is a way. Here, in LoS I am still trying to find if anyone has any get up and go about them.

I am a condo renter and when I have had any kind of problem that requires a "technician" sent round I dread it. I have lost count of the units I have rented and fixed the TV socket. These dopes always think the braid and core should be wound together....or maybe they just do that before a fallang moves in the hope they get a call out. ? And as far as tools go....... what is that other expression in the west....only as good as his tools.

Going back to electrical white goods etc, the manufacturers basically build in 5 years obsolescence to make you buy new again.

Well done OP.

Maybe I've just been unlucky but as far as I can see few Thais seem to really know their jobs well, and this seems to apply across the board.

maybe they were well aware of what was wrong

To the OP, when you say the display was all over the place I assume you mean just the water level meter and the rest of the display was fine, these sensors work on air pressure building in the tube as the machine fills with water, you may also find that just checking the connections and ensuring a good seal would have had the same effect as replacing the sensor (just for future reference) and yes I have repaired a few washing machines in the past but it is/was not my job just a hobby, the air tube can also get blocked up with stuff and may need cleaning now and again

Well done OP.

Maybe I've just been unlucky but as far as I can see few Thais seem to really know their jobs well, and this seems to apply across the board.

maybe they were well aware of what was wrong

To the OP, when you say the display was all over the place I assume you mean just the water level meter and the rest of the display was fine, these sensors work on air pressure building in the tube as the machine fills with water, you may also find that just checking the connections and ensuring a good seal would have had the same effect as replacing the sensor (just for future reference) and yes I have repaired a few washing machines in the past but it is/was not my job just a hobby, the air tube can also get blocked up with stuff and may need cleaning now and again

Thank you for that. Yes, it was the water level indicator that was showing about 3 or 4 levels at the same time. I checked the transparent tube as you mentioned and it seemed OK. I just took a punt on the replacement part - infact it became an obsession tracking one down!. As I mentioned, looking at various videos on U tube it indicated the sensor could not be dismantled to check it was working, although I would think someone with the right equipment could have checked it for reliability.

Anyway, you points are very useful for anyone encountering this problem. Ta.