Government school budget per NES teacher

Bangkokbaby

I'm just wondering if government schools are given a budget per NES teacher or whether they are given a budget for all of their teachers and the rest is left up to them. One person told me that each government school is given a monthly budget of 50,000 baht per NES teachers. However, it's a rarity for a teacher to receive this amount.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

I must admit that in the last 10 years I have taught here I was surprised how many directors were able to own a Benz. Even the schools accountant had a decent new car, I think they might of been in cahoots!

With a director's salary in the region of 50000 baht a month and the teachers' bank offering loans at very low rates, it is not difficult to understand how they can buy nice cars.

I must admit that in the last 10 years I have taught here I was surprised how many directors were able to own a Benz. Even the schools accountant had a decent new car, I think they might of been in cahoots!

With a director's salary in the region of 50000 baht a month and the teachers' bank offering loans at very low rates, it is not difficult to understand how they can buy nice cars.

New Mercedes s-class starts at about 6 million baht. 10 years of that entire 50,000 baht salary with zero baht left over for food, housing, etc. That teacher's loan will pay for a normal car and maybe even a house, but it is not remotely sufficient for a Mercedes. People are getting money from elsewhere.

800 baht an hour is dead wrong. The same goes for your other replies as well. Give me a day and my wife can get a figure to answer your question since she works in that office. Pm me about it later if you like. I do not think they are given a budget per hour nor per teacher though.

I've heard 800 baht an hour. Would love to know the truth. Lots of pay-offs in this racket. coffee1.gif

I've heard that not all girls at Nana and Soi Marlboro Cowboy are real girls.

And I was already wondering why some of them have such a deep voice, big feet and hands.

There's not so much real snow in Thailand, so no "bigfoot"....facepalm.gif

I worked at a Technical College where they charged the parents 800 baht per student per term for hiring foreign teachers. It was around 10 million baht per year but the only paid out in the region of 2.5 million for the whole year as they hired mainly Filipinos.

10 month contracts and long days means that it's only Africans working there now.

New Mercedes s-class starts at about 6 million baht. 10 years of that entire 50,000 baht salary with zero baht left over for food, housing, etc. That teacher's loan will pay for a normal car and maybe even a house, but it is not remotely sufficient for a Mercedes. People are getting money from elsewhere.

Not sure who mentioned S class but there you go. You probably don't know how the loan system works. You are also assuming that this is a single person. You are also assuming that they don't own their own house.

I've heard 800 baht an hour. Would love to know the truth. Lots of pay-offs in this racket. coffee1.gif

And I was already wondering why some of them have such a deep voice, big feet and hands.

Thanks for yet another irrelevant post.

Thanks for yet another irrelevant post.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've read it again and thought the same. Really shouldn't drink and post. My apologies.

Regarding the OP, it's really an old topic and I've heard numbers starting from 30 K, up to 50.

I think that they receive money for each foreign teacher, not necessarily an NES teacher. My school just recently hired an Asian teacher, but the had a way more qualified Thai English teacher, who could speak five languages.

I can only assume that not receiving any money from Bangkok was the reason that she didn't get the position?

It's really like a miracle that nobody seems to know the exact numbers.

Edited by lostinisaan

The schools it seems lie to the M.of Education regarding the "NES" aspects, and of course to the parents who also pay in cases of MEP and EP programs. Budgets for such things as air conditioners and computer equipment are apparently done in advance but subject to additional requests. It depends again on how well the school is connected to the person handing out the money. My understanding is the school declares a certain number of hours taught by the foreigners and is given money based on this. Of course, days for visits the temple or sports days etc. are counted as being taught. It is never clear to anyone how the money could be skimmed off or put in someone's pocket. Too many checks and balances for that.

The Directors make far more than 50,000.Baht a month, even in small schools. I've seen the teachers pay slips and many are over that so needless to say, the Director is going to get more than 100,000.Baht a month. I don't know about expense accounts.

There are also fixed assets which need upgrades like sidewalks.

As a foreigner, you are better off not concerning yourself with all this and just work directly for the school, do the job to the best of your ability and you will be paid as agreed. These stories of not donating to Social Security etc. are very rare and without merit. The school has too much face to lose cheating foreigners.

I think that they receive money for each foreign teacher, not necessarily an NES teacher. My school just recently hired an Asian teacher, but the had a way more qualified Thai English teacher, who could speak five languages.

I can only assume that not receiving any money from Bangkok was the reason that she didn't get the position?

The schools won't get the money for a Thai national, that is a fact jack. I know one guy who grew up in England but only had a Thai passport. He was let go as the reimbursement was declined since he was Thai. I guess sometimes they ask for the money back from Bangkok?

Like you say, it would be a miracle to actually know what is going on around you with the money involved in a large Government school.

I can only add that when I first taught here 7 years ago I was paid 40,000 a month on a 12 month contract (Oh how things have changed), the head of languages told me they are provided with 40,000 a month per foreign teacher. Yesterday I saw an advert for the same school offering 35,000

The schools it seems lie to the M.of Education regarding the "NES" aspects, and of course to the parents who also pay in cases of MEP and EP programs. Budgets for such things as air conditioners and computer equipment are apparently done in advance but subject to additional requests. It depends again on how well the school is connected to the person handing out the money. My understanding is the school declares a certain number of hours taught by the foreigners and is given money based on this. Of course, days for visits the temple or sports days etc. are counted as being taught. It is never clear to anyone how the money could be skimmed off or put in someone's pocket. Too many checks and balances for that.

The Directors make far more than 50,000.Baht a month, even in small schools. I've seen the teachers pay slips and many are over that so needless to say, the Director is going to get more than 100,000.Baht a month. I don't know about expense accounts.

As a foreigner, you are better off not concerning yourself with all this and just work directly for the school, do the job to the best of your ability and you will be paid as agreed. These stories of not donating to Social Security etc. are very rare and without merit. The school has too much face to lose cheating foreigners

Average pay for Thai teachers in government schools is 15-18k a month. Easy to research...

As a foreigner, you are better off not concerning yourself with all this and just work directly for the school, do the job to the best of your ability and you will be paid as agreed. These stories of not donating to Social Security etc. are very rare and without merit. The school has too much face to lose cheating foreigners

Average pay for Thai teachers in government schools is 15-18k a month. Easy to research...

Yes, after a couple of years. Teachers that have more years have more salary.

Non managerial graded teachers can be on 40000+ by time of retirement.

As a foreigner, you are better off not concerning yourself with all this and just work directly for the school, do the job to the best of your ability and you will be paid as agreed. These stories of not donating to Social Security etc. are very rare and without merit. The school has too much face to lose cheating foreigners.

Malicious and unsubstantiated gossip.

There's no way a foreign teacher would know whether the school lies to the MOE for two reasons: few foreigners can follow a conversation in Thai and foreigners would never be allowed to listen to conversations between directors and the MOE.

The schools won't get the money for a Thai national, that is a fact jack. I know one guy who grew up in England but only had a Thai passport. He was let go as the reimbursement was declined since he was Thai. I guess sometimes they ask for the money back from Bangkok?

Like you say, it would be a miracle to actually know what is going on around you with the money involved in a large Government school.

Thai Government schools can only employ directly Thais. Normally, only Thais are entitled to the benefits of being a Thai government employee. Foreigners are employed indirectly; hence, the need to apply for foreign-teacher budgets. I guess your friend couldn't be employed as a foreign teacher because of his passport. If they employed him as a Thai, the salary would come from the same budget used to pay their other Thai teachers.

Thai Government schools can only employ directly Thais. Normally, only Thais are entitled to the benefits of being a Thai government employee. Foreigners are employed indirectly; hence, the need to apply for foreign-teacher budgets. I guess your friend couldn't be employed as a foreign teacher because of his passport. If they employed him as a Thai, the salary would come from the same budget used to pay their other Thai teachers.

Not true. I know several Thai's hired in the foreign language department who don't yet meet the qualifications to be a "teacher". They are on year to year contracts, much like the foreigners. No civil service benefits.

In addition of course, some teachers Thai retire and then stay for a term or year, again on contracts not civil service.

Malicious and unsubstantiated gossip.

There's no way a foreign teacher would know whether the school lies to the MOE for two reasons: few foreigners can follow a conversation in Thai and foreigners would never be allowed to listen to conversations between directors and the MOE.

Malicious and unsubstantiated gossip? I don't know where you are coming from, drunk or what, but I've seen the brochures given out to various elementary schools promoting the English program which clearly state "Native English Speaking Teachers" as if not only NES, but qualified teachers. In addition, I've talked to parents who felt deceived when their child ended up being taught by Filipino's and other non English speaking "Teachers". Students have relayed their feelings as well, saying they don't understand the English of various teachers because of odd accents. I never implied I was in on the Directors conversations in Thai or any for that matter. He is told to keep the program going, he/she delegates this to his department head, and bodies are hired as mentioned elsewhere, without any criminal check or credential check or "English" ability verified. A non native English speaker(Thai, Filipino, African, German etc.) isn't going to pick up on an accent or simple grammatical mistakes in a conversation or interview. I also stated above I didn't grasp how money could be skimmed off and put in pockets. Obviously, with things like paving or new construction or desks and chairs, who knows? But from foreigner teaching budgets? Seems unlikely but I'm no expert on corruption and/or theft.

Edited by BruceMangosteen

Which reminds me....not related to the topic, but get a Filipino or other non-native speaker excited and/or combined with angry you will be hard pressed to grasp the English as a NES. A Thai on the other hand will revert to the silent treatment and turn on you in a split second...You though you had developed a friendship and in a chain of events lasting all of ten seconds and you are now hated.

As I said, I've seen the pay slips. Not all of then, not every month, but enough random observations to come to a different conclusion. There doesn't seem to be any concern from privacy other than at the Director and Department Head levels. The Teachers pay slips are routinely laid out for same to pick up each payday. You can clearly see the gross salary and the usual set of deductions which while in Thai I assume some are to their version of a Government Credit Union" as oddball figures.

Back again, to the topic, it's easier to just do your best and know you will be paid as agreed. Don't like the salary or conditions, find another occupation or school. Cheers mate.

As I said, I've seen the pay slips. Not all of then, not every month, but enough random observations to come to a different conclusion. There doesn't seem to be any concern from privacy other than at the Director and Department Head levels. The Teachers pay slips are routinely laid out for same to pick up each payday. You can clearly see the gross salary and the usual set of deductions which while in Thai I assume some are to their version of a Government Credit Union" as oddball figures.

Back again, to the topic, it's easier to just do your best and know you will be paid as agreed. Don't like the salary or conditions, find another occupation or school. Cheers mate.

And your point is?

A member of my family happened to work in a position where they did see all of the payslips all of the time.

They never saw a director on 100000. They saw some teachers on 15000 and other non managerial teachers on different amounts rising to 40000+.

And your point is?

A member of my family happened to work in a position where they did see all of the payslips all of the time.

They never saw a director on 100000. They saw some teachers on 15000 and other non managerial teachers on different amounts rising to 40000+.

There are several points to be made....believe them or not, up to you, but they remain facts, not opinions...

1. The average is not 15-18,000,Baht per month.

2. The Director's pay slip isn't going to be mixed in with the teachers, and he/she will be compensated privately(outside the view of the staff), your friend would have no idea.

3. "Non Managerial" means what? Nothing to me.

4. Thai's seem to understate their earnings. I don't know why exactly, it has something to do again with "face".

5. Salary is determined at least in a major way, by "rank" military version, in Government schools. Not merit

6. As the other member mentioned, there are so many late model cars running around campus(at full speed BTW, no speed limits on school campuses) that your "average" salary would find it difficult to make the payments, never mind other expenses.

7. There is some system of housing allowances or same actually provided on campus. I don't know about as previously stated, car and other expense account the Director may have available to him/herself.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. The holidays are here.

I did not mention the average salaries. That was someone else. Why quote me?

Where did I mention that the payslips were together?

The family member I mentioned, not friend, did most definately see those payslips. As you no nothing about their position how would youe be able to make, yet another, unsubstantiated comment?

I have never mentioned merit. I did mention time. As teachers receive yearly pay rises it makes sense that longer serving teachers would have higher salaries.

No managerial means exactly that.

The family member I mentioned, not friend, did most definately see those payslips. As you no nothing about their position how would youe be able to make, yet another, unsubstantiated comment?

I have never mentioned merit. I did mention time. As teachers receive yearly pay rises it makes sense that longer serving teachers would have higher salaries.

Don't get upset...It's Christmas and you asked what my point was. I gave a detailed reply, nothing more. I seriously doubt the family member would know the Director's compensation package, but go ahead and think he/she does. I don't care. You are again not being clear what you mean by "non/no managerial" positions. Again, I don't care. I know what the other teachers earn not counting extra benefits such as matching contributions to retirement, Credit Union benefits, and health care(which isn't the same as foreigners are on i.e. "Social").

Don't get upset...It's Christmas and you asked what my point was. I gave a detailed reply, nothing more. I seriously doubt the family member would know the Director's compensation package, but go ahead and think he/she does. I don't care. You are again not being clear what you mean by "non/no managerial" positions. Again, I don't care. I know what the other teachers earn not counting extra benefits such as matching contributions to retirement, Credit Union benefits, and health care(which isn't the same as foreigners are on i.e. "Social").

Don't go much on Christmas. I'm not upset either Mr Mangosteen. Just pointing things out for those that are interested.

Just a hint......those that administer the teachers' bank would know exactly what teachers' renumeration packages are.

If you don't understand what a non managerial position is then...well.

This is only indirectly related

I've heard grumblings from Thai staff and lower admin about our salaries.

Most of the retards at my school deserve to be fired, not paid the 35k plus. Working many 20+++ hours might be schools consolation.

What upsets me is that the Thai whingers do not account for the addl benefits they receive AND the addl costs we incur both living abroad AND working AND in Thailand.

Like I stated before, only a true numbnutz would work for any less than 35k, they must be losing money, seriously.

Next, I so wish there was a way to flush the geezers, perverts, E/W Africans, drunks and those without degrees out of the system.

I hope for schools sake they turn half the classes back to the Thai and let the degreed, NES get on with it in Bangkok as well as schools outside that truly count.

Agencies to blame here as well, they profit from shoveling shit. Drunks, perverts, any zombie with financial need.

Edited by Mencken