Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai Expat TV Problems

johnnort

Is there anyone else out there experiencing problems with ThaiExpatTV that could shed some light on issues I have developed? It started with buffering every two to five seconds; settling down after about five minutes; an intermittent issue. Finally the settling down of the program being watched ceased and the buffering every few seconds continued. If the single (one minute) FF or FR was pressed the program would jump 15 to 20 minutes and was impossible to make any sense from it; it had a life of its own! Many internet speed checks were carried out and each time the download speed was constant 13mbps plus. Absolutely no problem with the connection. All other Apps, including other TV apps downloaded onto ThaiExpatTV set top box work just fine with no interruptions.

ThaiExpatTV provided me with two other URLs being updated versions of the one I had installed. All these versions acted in the same faulty manner. The newer version showed the two vertical pause lines while buffering, the older a revolving circle; all have the FF and FR issues.

I had problems of a different sort about eight months ago and had the box replaced for free. This cured that problem but the installed TV app of the new box had the buffering and FF/FR problem I am experiencing now. However, changing the version solved the problem in that case. ThaiExpatTV tell me now that there was no fault found with the box I had returned. Funny that as with the old box there were problems, with the replacement the problems had disappeared. Currently they say there is either a fault with the box, although most unlikely, or issues with the download speed. The latter has been confirmed to be OK. (Constant high speed and no issues with other apps).

On the surface it appears to be a fault with ThaiExpatTV downloaded software, but I have tried different versions to no avail. Any suggestions please?

No! Line speed is not a factor. I have had constant high speed throughout. The speed has been so good that watching UK channels via ITV Player and the like, which is synonymous with horrendous buffering, I have experienced little buffering. Plus TV watching on apps other than ThaiExpatTV installed on the set top box have no problems. Line speed is fine!

Incidentally the problems are not evident watching ThaiExpatTV on laptop.

Silly me! I have been taking all my speed checks on the computer at the same time as TV problems. The reading have been excellent. Then I had this idea to check the speed using the set top box and what a difference. The computer showed high constant, speed but the set top box showed a very spiky graph at the same time, proving the fault to lie with the set top box. My assumption, as it is an incoming signal, that the speed check using the laptop would also be the result for the TV box is absolutely wrong. Thank you all for your replies.

Yes Wifi. Had same results though with LAN cable! And I did turn the wifi off and ethernet on. It is a bit academic really because the wifi is promoted as a feature and a permanent cable hung across the room is not what I want. Wifi has worked till now!

To jaffacakes1. I do not necessarily want to promote any pay to view companies, especially when my replacement box is far less than 12 months old and a further replacement is not going to be provided, but I did watch at one time all the channels that you are referring to freely, but experienced a lot buffering which was eliminated, at least until recently, by subscribing to a pay to view company, making the viewing experience far more enjoyable!

Can't understand why anyone is paying monthly subscriptions when all the channels are out there for free with a specially configured Android box. If anyone is interested send me a message.

because it's easy and as far as I'm aware you don't get 7 day look back and a TV guide on a " specialy configured " Android box

Can't understand why anyone is paying monthly subscriptions when all the channels are out there for free with a specially configured Android box. If anyone is interested send me a message.

because it's easy and as far as I'm aware you don't get 7 day look back and a TV guide on a " specialy configured " Android box
There is and it is called iVue. You don't need a 7 day look back as everything is available via VOD anyway. Just stream as you need on your schedule - the latest movies, TV series, PPV sports with no subscription. Or if you prefer paying to watch daytime TV at nighttime, as you were...

Or if you prefer paying to watch daytime TV at nighttime, as you were...

I'm sure most users of TETV don't pay for it to watch daytime TV at nighttime!

It's main use to me is that it offers fast HD picture quality of anything from last 10 days, including all the lovely ads. I'm sure it also appeals to those struggling with Kodi and all the buffering it entails at times.

(I no longer subscribe to TETV as it seems too expensive, a time waster and they haven't offered their annual free Xmas months service this year - have they??!)

Because the free premium channels are unreliable.

Otherwise everyone would be watching FilmOn.com wouldn't they?

It's main use to me is that it offers fast HD picture quality of anything from last 10 days, including all the lovely ads. I'm sure it also appeals to those struggling with Kodi and all the buffering it entails at times.

TETV records from HD sources (where transmitted) but they apply extra compression and the image quality is not HD. The sound is also compressed beyond that of the original broadcast. The overall quality is acceptable though.

As a long-time UK Tivo user I find that the one of the advantages of TETV is that I can quite easily skip past the ads and the boring and pointless parts of programmes (intros, outros, recaps, teasers) thus saving many minutes of my life from being wasted. Many 1-hour programmes can be watched in closer to 30 minutes without missing any valid content at all.

This is my point. Where do you think the free repos get their sources from? In terms of commercial breaks what you aren't referring around commercial breaks, this is VOD. Another free function with a specially built Android Box. Why pay a monthly subscription for something most others are getting for free?

This is my point. Where do you think the free repos get their sources from? In terms of commercial breaks what you aren't referring around commercial breaks, this is VOD. Another free function with a specially built Android Box. Why pay a monthly subscription for something most others are getting for free?

No, it's different. TETV records the entire day's stream for each channel and you can dip into any part of that at will. VOD only covers some programmes, and there are often restrictions on fast-forwarding/skipping. Also I run TETV from my PC which is connected to my TV and so I dont need or want an extra box.

As you say, for those who can be bothered there are various other ways of obtaining most programming (torrents, websites, VOD etc).

• 1 month later...

What ever the problem, Thai Expat TV support, NEVER accept the problems are their fault. I have reported a number of problems, which they treat with utter contempt and blame everyone else, rather than themselves. Even, as in this case, when you, as the customer can prove its their fault, they then deny any responsibility and their support staff are also extremely rude, so be prepared for a rough ride with no help.

Lets hope that soon, the new players start offering a competitive service, so we can all dump the Thai Expat TV service and move to a supplier who really cares about their customers.

What ever the problem, Thai Expat TV support, NEVER accept the problems are their fault. I have reported a number of problems, which they treat with utter contempt and blame everyone else, rather than themselves. Even, as in this case, when you, as the customer can prove its their fault, they then deny any responsibility and their support staff are also extremely rude, so be prepared for a rough ride with no help.

Lets hope that soon, the new players start offering a competitive service, so we can all dump the Thai Expat TV service and move to a supplier who really cares about their customers.

What problems have you had? I had a problem in the early days which was dealt with promptly (can't remember exactly what) I also had a billing query recently which was dealt with efficiently. It would be interesting to see what your problems have been!

Some long posts here so not read all. The Android boxes supplied by TETV are not the best. I had slow to no internet on one of them when all other devices worked Ok.

One day I did a full reset of the box and redownloaded my apps. Internet speed was back to normal. A bit drastic but it worked for me.

Some long posts here so not read all. The Android boxes supplied by TETV are not the best. I had slow to no internet on one of them when all other devices worked Ok.

One day I did a full reset of the box and redownloaded my apps. Internet speed was back to normal. A bit drastic but it worked for me.

ahh OK. I only use the Windows software. No problems!

Certainly as far as technical problems go they dont like to admit that they are at fault, even when they patently are.

But for billing and general communication they are very efficient.

Certainly as far as technical problems go they dont like to admit that they are at fault, even when they patently are.

But for billing and general communication they are very efficient.

What technical faults?

Have you tried running on a PC to see if you are experiencing the same issues?

I have no problems at all with the ThaiExpat.TV service, but the PremiumExpat.TV service is pretty poor during popular live broadcasts such as EPL footy. They do try and come up with excuses, but basically they have too many customers trying to watch at the same time and the service suffers. If I switch over to TE.TV it's still working perfectly. I'm hoping PT.TV will get their act together before my subscription runs out - I think a year is long enough to get things sorted.

Becasue for the nominal fee you pay, its nice to turn the tv on and the stream works rather than taken down every other day, beter to pay for a service that does that for you.

Saying that wouldnt use Thai Expat TV when IlikeHD is out there.

I have never found this, all my calls have been dealt with courteously and efficiently, the guy there, Carl, will bend over backwards to help, sorry it has not been the case for you.

Unfortunately it is the same answer politly put for technical probs. Take plug from wall and replace rebooting set top box; Use LAN cable and not wifi; Change URL; it is your internet provider. When it is proven that those standard responses are not part of the problem Thai Expat TV do not want to know.

Archived